Can it get much worse in MA? sure has the possibility

you guys who throw out these globe links, i'm not gonna subscribe so i can read the article. i think they give you 3 free views then they want dough. how about a synopsis once in a while?

I opened up the OP's link in Brave browser and it shows:

Sure, Massachusetts has among the toughest gun laws in the nation, but it’s not an island.

And so while Washington remains paralyzed around any issues related to guns, it’s critical that states — including Massachusetts — do what they can to deal with issues of trafficking, reporting, and tracing the guns that continue to wreak havoc on the streets of our cities.

“One homicide is too many, one shooting’s too many,” Boston Police Commissioner William G. Gross told the Legislature’s Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security.

Gross, who said his department has collected more than 4,000 guns in the past year, more than 2,800 of them considered “crime guns,” is looking for support for a bill that would impose fees, fines, and provide for possible impoundment of vehicles found to be transporting illegal firearms. He’s also looking for increased information-sharing among police departments.

Re “Even in Massachusetts, there’s room to do more on gun violence” (Editorial, Sept. 1): Boston Police Commissioner William Gross knows all too well that there is more that can be done in Massachusetts to address the epidemic of gun violence. His proposal to allow for fines, fees, and the potential to impound a vehicle involved in gun trafficking makes good sense and could reduce the number of firearms in circulation on our city streets.

One addition to the omnibus bill your editorial endorses would be a ban on the sale and use of any rifle, handgun, or shotgun that contains a semiautomatic mechanism (allowing the firearm to discharge spent rounds automatically and load new, live rounds automatically with each pull of the trigger). Such a ban also avoids Second Amendment challenges, since it doesn’t affect guns per se, but rather the inclusion of a mechanism that allows them to be capable of inflicting human casualties on a scale that tragically has become all too common.

The Falmouth Gun Safety Coalition has been advocating for the passage of this proposal for some time, and we are persuaded that such a ban would be an important step in the fight against gun violence.

Jane Scarborough

Jack McDevitt

Boston

Scarborough is a retired associate professor of law at Northeastern University School of Law, and McDevitt is a professor of the practice in Northeastern’s School of Criminology and Criminal Justice.

One addition to the omnibus bill your editorial endorses would be a ban on the sale and use of any rifle, handgun, or shotgun that contains a semiautomatic mechanism (allowing the firearm to discharge spent rounds automatically and load new, live rounds automatically with each pull of the trigger). Such a ban also avoids Second Amendment challenges, since it doesn’t affect guns per se, but rather the inclusion of a mechanism that allows them to be capable of inflicting human casualties on a scale that tragically has become all too common.

This is the meat of it. Basically they want to ban all handguns in addition to all semi-auto rifles and shotguns. I'm pretty sure that definition could be construed to cover revolvers as well.

it's about time. Let's do it.

the anti's have been far too complacent, enjoying their incremental victories at the state and local level, victories which courts (up to and including SCOTUS) have been far too willing to abide. So I say, go big and be bold. pass a ban on all semi-auto's and we can watch them scurry to repeal it when SCOTUS grants cert.

Such a ban also avoids Second Amendment challenges, since it doesn’t affect guns per se,

yup. The moment they say "per se" you know they are an "intellectual", AKA libtard, special snowflake, twat waffle.

I can see what is next. We want to ban the "cartridge mechanism" that allows easy loading of guns. This is not a second amendment issue per se since it bans a mechanism and not guns.

"Scarborough is a retired associate professor of law at Northeastern University School of Law, and McDevitt is a professor of the practice in Northeastern’s School of Criminology and Criminal Justice, and together they make up the entire Falmouth Gun Safety Coalition."

Just refresh your browser. works for me.
Boston Globe is behind a paywall, period. IF YOU TURN OFF PRIVACY FEATURES, i.e., allow them to grab whatever they want to grab from your browser, then they allow a couple of "free" articles per day before locking you out. And yes, you can circumvent the lockout by refreshing. But why would any sane person drop their pants to allow them in?

ban on the sale and use of any rifle, handgun, or shotgun that contains a semiautomatic mechanism

So hunting pheasants with my old auto 5 would be a crime?

f*** you gross.

Jack McDevitt is the director of Northeastern’s Institute on Race and Justice. He is also professor of the practice in the School of Criminology and Criminal Justice. McDevitt is the co-author of three books: Hate Crimes: The Rising Tide of Bigotry and Bloodshed, Hate Crime Revisited: American War on Those Who Are Different (both with Jack Levin) and Victimology (with Judy Sgarzy). He has spoken on hate crime, racial profiling human trafficking and security both nationally and internationally and has testified as an expert witness before the Judiciary Committees of both U.S. Senate and The U.S. House of Representatives and as invited expert at the White House. In January 2013, McDevitt was appointed by Massachusetts House Speaker Robert DeLeo to lead a special commission on gun violence.

Well f*** him.

I wonder how much "Safety Courses or Classes" this coalition has held if any?

Well, they certainly convinced me that something needs to be done...

"I'm going to show you a group of graphics and ask you to give your immediate first response. Don't think about them. Just respond." [proceeds to narrate each image with what he wants you to call them]

[AR-15] "Assault weapon."
[Mini-14 stainless] "Assault weapon."
[Mini-14 black alloy] "Assault weapon."
[VP-9] "Assault weapon."
[P30] "Assault weapon."

"I'm an expert here to help you understand there are really only two purposes for guns: MILITARY-STYLE SEMI-AUTO SCARY ASSAULT WEAPONS OF WAR and hunting-style bolt and revolver guns. I'll even prove my expert knowledge by showing how to load and unload, including muzzling the cameraman (how else to show the red dummy tip in the chamber?), keeping my finger on the trigger (takes even more discipline than the straight-finger method), and tea cupping (obviously an advanced grip tactic taught only to elites)."

"Of course we're not trying to ban guns. Just weapons of war, which is anything semi-auto."

If they ban semi auto....No more spent shell casing to get ballistic and fingerprint evidence from?
Oh my, how will they solve crime
Oh wait, the criminals will still have there semi autos, so....?
Oh wait, how will they solve crime?.?.
**sarcasm function**

Last edited:
If they ban semi auto....No more spent shell casing to get ballistic and fingerprint evidence from?
Oh my, how will they solve crime
Oh wait, the criminals will still have there semi autos, so....?
Oh wait, how will they solve crime?.?.

That's cute, you think gun control is about stopping crime and prosecuting criminals.

Back
Top Bottom