• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can I Take Possession of Rifle from Non-Licenesed Guy?

My work buddy's brother foolishly accepted an AK as a gift from some clown in NH and brought it back to Mass, and he's unlicensed! Now he's come to his senses and wants to get rid of it. He says if it's legal to do so, he'll give it to me, if I pay any fees associated with the transaction. Can I do that through an FFL?

My work buddy's brother foolishly accepted an AK as a gift from some clown in NH and brought it back to Mass, and he's unlicensed! Now he's come to his senses and wants to get rid of it. He says if it's legal to do so, he'll give it to me, if I pay any fees associated with the transaction. Can I do that through an FFL?

Take gun
Give money
Put in safe
STFU

So your buddy's brother comits 2 felonies......

1. Transfer of a fire arm over a state line without an ffl transfer (federal level)
2. Possession of a firearm without a license (State level).

Sweet. 🙄

Anyway.....you can take possession of it but what nobody has mentioned yet is the aw implications. Your taking possession of a rifle that may be banned in mass due to evil features.

accepted an AK as a gift from some clown in NH....
Who wanted to get rid of it after using it in a string of bank and armored car robberies....

BTW....your buddy is the clown. Did he think he was getting a loophole? People cause so much their own trouble, you should stay away from that gun and him.

conspiracy theories aside, the guy in MA has no legal exposure for the bad acts of the guy in NH or the guy that brought it into MA

FFL transfer covers the OP.

Drive up to NH and sell the gun to a NH resident FTF. A NH resident buying a gun FtF has no obligation to check the status or ID of the seller. The felonies are all on your side. Good luck... Better idea, talk to a lawyer.

you can not FTF a rifle from a Non NH resident to a NH resident, MOST gun transactions across a state line require a FFL

Perhaps it was stolen or as someone already mentioned used in a crime.
Sounds very suspicious.:cool:

I'm not going near it.
Any idea why your cousin's, brother's, nephew would give away a rifle? That's a pretty valuable gift.

But I am pretty sure if you got a NH FFL to transfer it from the original owner, to your Ma FFL, you are GTG.
Now, depending on the number of evil features, it may be an issue.

Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable members will correct me if I am mistaken.

If it turns out to have too many evil features for MA, AND you can get it into NH legally, let me know. I've been meaning to add an AK to my collection. Not the best timing though, I just laid out the cash for 2 suppressors.

Multiple felonies. Well done. Face to face transfer between two parties not residents of the same state. Federal felony. Possession of a firearm without LTC or FID. State felony. Possession of an assault weapon. State Felony. I’m betting large capacity feeding device. State felony.

You can transfer from an non LTC holder to you using a MA FFL. But he will log it in from your buddies brother by drivers license and now you have a document trail of his illegal activities.

Return to original owner in NH. Turn in at gun buy back. Apply plasma torch. Do anything but create a paper trail of the multiple felonies committed. You are never getting the AK.

Drive up to NH and sell the gun to a NH resident FTF. A NH resident buying a gun FtF has no obligation to check the status or ID of the seller. The felonies are all on your side. Good luck... Better idea, talk to a lawyer.
I have nothing to do with it. The guy just wants it to give it to someone who's licensed. I already stated I'm not going near it, and told him so. What gave any of you the idea that I have the gun? Please re-read the original post before replying. I have never seen the gun. My question was, "Can I take possession." I should have added "legally". I have no intention of putting my and my family's life in jeopardy. I consider my LTC a sacred document, and I wash my hands of the whole subject.

Last edited:
Multiple felonies. Well done. Face to face transfer between two parties not residents of the same state. Federal felony. Possession of a firearm without LTC or FID. State felony. Possession of an assault weapon. State Felony. I’m betting large capacity feeding device. State felony.

You can transfer from an non LTC holder to you using a MA FFL. But he will log it in from your buddies brother by drivers license and now you have a document trail of his illegal activities.

Return to original owner in NH. Turn in at gun buy back. Apply plasma torch. Do anything but create a paper trail of the multiple felonies committed. You are never getting the AK.
Well done. You skimmed a post and jumped to conclusions.

Back
Top Bottom