• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can I shoot Federal M855 "Green Tip" at Mass Rifle?

daveshrews

NES Member
I made my first trip to Riley's in Hooksett today and found a great deal on 5.56 bulk ammo. I'm fairly new to shooting AR's, and didn't realize until I got home that it was Federal green tip, which seems to be a hybrid penetrative ammo.

Does anyone know if I can shoot this on the Loeb range at MRA? I know they specifically say "no armor piercing rounds", but I don't know if this classifies as that.

Thanks in advance.

I'd ask before shooting it. I know it's not a true AP round, but it does have steel so some fudd might consider it a violation of the rules.

[cerberus];3270834 said:
If you are shooting at a dirt berm it is ok (Pending any specific club rules), but if you are talking an indoor range, I wouldn't.

The backstop is shredded rubber. So its just like dirt but less dusty. Im a member at Mass Rifle and know the range well. I can tell you unequivocally it wont harm anything. If I can shoot a .338 Lapua Magnum there without problem a little .22 wont do squat.

Also, green tip is considered to be a "penetrator round" It is NOT considered to be AP. It is definitly less of a penetrator than the surplus 7.62x39 that people shoot in there.

Sent from Samsung Note 2

The backstop is shredded rubber. So its just like dirt but less dusty. Im a member at Mass Rifle and know the range well. I can tell you unequivocally it wont harm anything. If I can shoot a .338 Lapua Magnum there without problem a little .22 wont do squat.

Also, green tip is considered to be a "penetrator round" It is NOT considered to be AP. It is definitly less of a penetrator than the surplus 7.62x39 that people shoot in there.

Sent from Samsung Note 2

It's made to penetrate sheet metal like that of cars if I recall.

Well, I don't know how great the deal really was... like I said, I'm pretty new to 223/556, but they had 300 round bulk boxes for $149. There was a pretty good amount available.

I may just ask in the club office specifically. They recently had an incident with a member shooting some "no no" rounds and I don't want to make a similar mistake. Better safe than sorry, I suppose.

Sounds like this evil stuff would rip right through a safe door.

Its explicitly called out as not AP by the BATF (pretty sure it was them)

Orange & black tip is NO-NO. Here is the sign. I wonder how many members actually care to read or even aware the existing of this sign.

5AED929E-3C5C-4011-90BD-0F614AD5712A-5811-000004D84B3F5ED5_zps6d53ec2b.jpg

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

I do not believe AP ammo is available anywhere for mere mortals. And I think it is black tipped.
Green tip ammo , Penetrator , was designed to hit harder farther than 55gr.

I prefer 55 though , it performs better at closer ranges. And I only get to practice at 100m.

No you cannot. Any M855 that you have, I will dispose of for you for free.

i am sure you'll need help. in.

Orange & black tip is NO-NO. Here is the sign. I wonder how many members actually care to read or even aware the existing of this sign.

5AED929E-3C5C-4011-90BD-0F614AD5712A-5811-000004D84B3F5ED5_zps6d53ec2b.jpg

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

i put up signs at my range. lots of them. four signs per each statement i wanted to make to the members.

yeah, no one reads that shit.

It does have quasi armor piercing capabilities, it's steel cored as I recall. If your club says no armor piercing, this is likely what they are referring to.
Also, even if it isn't verboten, it is generally poor form to shoot steel core ammo at steel targets, dings'em up something awful.

I'd ask before shooting it. I know it's not a true AP round, but it does have steel so some fudd might consider it a violation of the rules.

It's a penetrating round, NOT AP.
Use your judgement.

I'd shoot it outside (berm)

This appears to be a definitive answer. Nice work Rommel.

Gammon - That is incorrect. Loeb has shredded rubber for a backstop and I believe all of the outdoor ranges are simply sand. I wouldn't be surprised if Loeb had a steel "backup" back stop, but your rounds will be impacting the rubber.

MRA has an angled steel backstop that defects the fired rounds down into a trap full of rubber chunks. No one in their right mind would try to stop high powered rifle rounds with chunks of rubber alone, unless you had a LOT of them. The rubber makes the trap easier to clean out and harvest the range lead. I believe at one time the trap was full of sand.

PS I believe the steel penetrator in the military round is there to help the M16 pass a penetration test. One requirement of our service rifle is to penetrate both sides of an issue helmet at 600 yds (or meters, I forget). Both the M1 (30/06) and the M14 (762 Nato) had no problem.

Unfortuately, our new "super gun" failed this test miserably with the 55 gr ammo introduced with the weapon. Sometime later a heavier bullet with a steel penetrator was introduced to cure this defect. This required the adoption of faster twist barrels to stabilize the heavier bullet.

Gammon,

Where my rounds land, they are impacting the rubber directly. Like I said, I'm sure there is metal back there, but actually the rubber does an excellent job. I get what you are saying though. If you shoot higher up, where the rubber is thinner, the bullet may impact the metal directly.

But you are missing the point if you don't realize that rubber itself makes an excellent backstop. I wasn't a member prior to the rubber being used at Loeb but I suspect that the metal stop is still adequate, but by putting the majority of the rounds into rubber, they greatly reduce the toxic waste created by the range. This is because the in-tact bullets that rubber allows can be recovered and easily recycled. This is in contrast to the dust and massively fragmented bullets created by a steel stop.

The beauty of the shredded rubber backstop is that there is no backsplater. I've taken classes at ranges with rubber backstops where we were shooting ARs and handguns at contact distance to the targets with only 5 ft to the backstop.

These backstops have become the standard for "tactical" type backstops that can catch anything from any angle, safely, with no danger of ricochet, and no dust.
I've used this material in a 6 gal taping bucket to catch handgun bullets when I function check pistols or ammo. I bought a few bags of the shredded rubber landscaping material from Home Depot and simply filled the bucket with it. It works great. The recovered bullets look like they could be reloaded and used again.

Here is a company that sells the rubber for just this purpose:
Ballistic Backing Rubber Fill from RubberScapes

Here is a company that makes self contained bullet stops using shredded rubber:
The Bullet Bunker - The bullet stops here

Here is a description from a firing range.

Bullet Trap: Unlike the old, out-of-date ranges located in the greater Knoxville area, Frontier has a modern, safe bullet trap system made of three feet of shredded rubber that gently catches your bullets whole - eliminating bullet fragmentation, lead splatter, and dangerous bullet bounce back. In other words, when you fire into our backstop your bullets do NOT break into hundreds of little fragments or create clouds of deadly lead dust after smashing themselves to smithereens against steel plates. Instead, at Frontier each round fired is gently "caught" or "captured" in the rubber backstop, with little or no deformation! This means there is harmful lead dust is not sucked into the ventilation system and then spewed-out into your breathing space at firing line. Indeed, ranges that allow your bullets to smash against steel plates are knowingly creating deadly hazardous waste conditions that must be controlled and regulated by the EPA and OSHA. But not at Frontier! Indeed because we adopted the latest air quality standards and range design criteria, expended rounds in our range become a simple recycling situation.

MRA has an angled steel backstop that defects the fired rounds down into a trap full of rubber chunks. No one in their right mind would try to stop high powered rifle rounds with chunks of rubber alone, unless you had a LOT of them. The rubber makes the trap easier to clean out and harvest the range lead. I believe at one time the trap was full of sand.

Definitively Not Correct.

Photo from Monday night showing a big pile of rubber as the primary backstop.

Back
Top Bottom