• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can I sell my ammo?

TZCHRIS

NES Member
I have accumulated 'lots' of .223 ammo over the years. Can I sell this? Is it any different than selling a gun?

I have accumulated 'lots' of .223 ammo over the years. Can I sell this? Is it any different than selling a gun?

I've wondered the same thing, since looking through the MGL it appears that only those licensed by MA can sell ammo (C. 140, S. 122B: "No person shall sell ammunition in the commonwealth unless duly licensed."). I can't tell if there are exemptions to this section.

OK, need your address to ship it. LOL Really, would this be a problem with the law if I got cought? I trade/sell/borrow ammo with my buddies but if I put out an add or something would this be trouble in MA?

No, unless you are licensed to sell ammo. So you trade it for a collection of dead presidents. I know many people that collect ammo and dead presidents and they always like to trade.

OK, need your address to ship it. LOL Really, would this be a problem with the law if I got cought? I trade/sell/borrow ammo with my buddies but if I put out an add or something would this be trouble in MA?

Wouldnt worry unless you start making ammo with the intent to profit, but really how much do you have that you could possibly think you have too much?

No, unless you are licensed to sell ammo. So you trade it for a collection of dead presidents. I know many people that collect ammo and dead presidents and they always like to trade.

Yeah, I see that trading going on in the classifieds forum, except that instead of those long president names the $ nick-names are used. [grin]

You hit the nail on the head! Actually I have been making my own ammo and enjoy it so much I just keep on making it and wondered 'why couldn't I sell some of this' ?

You hit the nail on the head! Actually I have been making my own ammo and enjoy it so much I just keep on making it and wondered 'why couldn't I sell some of this' ?

You may want to look at this:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/137374-Comm2A-to-Support-Lowell-Gun-Collector

Specifically:

"After finding evidence that Stan, like many thrifty gun owners, reloaded his own ammunition, the police began asking him if he manufactured ammunition for sale and his license to possess firearms was immediately revoked. Six weeks later, Stan was charged with the illegal manufacture of explosives (which is what MA classifies small arms ammunition as)."

Yeah, I don't know that I'd chance it.

Since fired brass casings are considered ammo, I've always wondered if you need a license to sell old casings to a scrap yard.

Some people have suggested gifting the ammo and a date before or after selling something else for an exorbinate amount. I can't vouch for the legality of that, but it may be an option to consider.

...Actually I have been making my own ammo ... and wondered 'why couldn't I sell some of this' ?

mx250man is correct.

Without exception, A License to Sell Ammunition issued under MGL 140-122B is required.

It would also be a violation of Federal law (18 USC 923 and 27 CFR 478.41), absent an 06FFL.

Since fired brass casings are considered ammo, I've always wondered if you need a license to sell old casings to a scrap yard.

It's an open question...

Comm. v. Truong (2010) said:
[Note 6]Although we hold that G. L. c. 269, § 10(h), validly criminalizes unlicensed possession of any individual component of a cartridge, including shell casings, we note that we do not reach the question whether, or to what extent, the statute applies to unlicensed possession of shell casings for innocent purposes, such as for souvenirs or for resale as scrap metal.

http://masscases.com/cases/app/78/78massappct28.html

I tried, a couple of years back, to get an Ammo Licesne, but since I didn't have a business they said no (My expalanation was that with a C&R, I wanted a way of disposing legally of ammo that might not fit my toys.

Cop was sympathetic, and said that pretty much any business - gun related or not - would have made it ok.....

The non-verbal subtext was "you don't need this if you're not doing a lot of dealing"....but that's not black (or gray and muddy)-letter-law.

Guess FTF ammo sales are like safe sex - know your partner, or don't give your real name! [laugh]

Since the scenario is selling self reloaded ammo, I am surprised one of our members has not chimed in. 06 FFL home (basement) based sideline hobby/business who shows up at NES shoots with a pickup filled with ammo for sale.

He knows what it takes to get the needed licenses and can probably give you a reasonable sense of is it worth it in the long run (audits, paperwork, etc)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Some people have suggested gifting the ammo and a date before or after selling something else for an exorbinate amount. I can't vouch for the legality of that, but it may be an option to consider.

I've heard of people giving each other the ammo for free, and then selling a pen for a tidy sum of money.

Here is my take, I did a group buy on ammo and asked the same questions. I purchased the ammo in two lots to make it easier on my back but the second order was delivered to the wrong address. Lucky for me it went to the former Marine and not the Deputy Chief of the Fire Department next door.

Last year I made an appointment to speak to the firearms license Sgt and the Chief about this question and several more. It took 6 months and many trips to the station but I now have the License to Sell Ammo as well as a Green Card. On the plus side with all the time we spent together it seems that I made some new friends.

Don't forget the Fire Department Ammunition Storage Permit, that took a long time as well as we have a volunteer Fire Department.

And allows carry protection. Lol [smile]

I tried, a couple of years back, to get an Ammo Licesne, but since I didn't have a business they said no (My expalanation was that with a C&R, I wanted a way of disposing legally of ammo that might not fit my toys.

Cop was sympathetic, and said that pretty much any business - gun related or not - would have made it ok.....

The non-verbal subtext was "you don't need this if you're not doing a lot of dealing"....but that's not black (or gray and muddy)-letter-law.

Guess FTF ammo sales are like safe sex - know your partner, or don't give your real name! [laugh]

Good God what a F'ed up place.

The rest of the world sells and buys ammo without even thinking twice about all this bullshit.

Back
Top Bottom