Can I possess (not carry) a gun in CT without a license?

I am a MA resident. My understanding is that I can only bring a gun into CT (without a non-resident permit) in certain cases, such as shooting events, even if it's locked in the truck. What about gun shows?

If I'm out in Springfield and I'm carrying, and I decide that I want to go to visit a friend in CT, am I just out of luck unless I go drop my gun at home first?

Is there a list of the situations for which I could bring a gun into CT? I assume that there is (in the law), but where is it?

I am a MA resident. My understanding is that I can only bring a gun into CT (without a non-resident permit) in certain cases, such as shooting events, even if it's locked in the truck. What about gun shows?

If I'm out in Springfield and I'm carrying, and I decide that I want to go to visit a friend in CT, am I just out of luck unless I go drop my gun at home first?

Is there a list of the situations for which I could bring a gun into CT? I assume that there is (in the law), but where is it?

this has been discussed before. Basically the only way to bring a handgun to CT wthout a license is if your moving there.

you cannot bring it for shooting events.

Yes. You'd also be out of luck if you were at Kohl's in West Springfield (carrying) and were told that the merchandise was not in stock at that store but the Enfield store (10 minutes away) has it and can hold it for you.

Thanks for the link.

From the law:
The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to...any person transporting a pistol or revolver in or through the state for the purpose of taking part in competitions, taking part in formal pistol or revolver training, repairing such pistol or revolver or attending any meeting or exhibition of an organized collectors' group if such person is a bona fide resident of the United States and is permitted to possess and carry a pistol or revolver in the state or subdivision of the United States in which such person resides

This seems to say that I could bring a gun into the state for a gun show (does a gun show count as a "meeting or exhibition of an organized collectors' group?") as long as it's unloaded and locked up in the trunk.

I could at least bring it into the state if I decided to do the training for my CT non-resident permit in CT.

Yes. You'd also be out of luck if you were at Kohl's in West Springfield (carrying) and were told that the merchandise was not in stock at that store but the Enfield store (10 minutes away) has it and can hold it for you.

That's frustrating. I guess I should probably put down the money for training and application and get my non-resident permit

That's frustrating. I guess I should probably put down the money for training and application and get my non-resident permit

Yes, yes it was. Oh, and it was raining too. I've been sitting on a blank CT non-res application for over a year. I have a procrastination problem.

Sounds like a real world example. [smile]

you know what they say about procrastination....just like masturbation,
In the end you are just screwing yourself.

Get on that, and come on down, lets shoot!

Keri

No kidding. I suck sometimes. I've heard that you can make an appointment with the state police and do the entire non-res application in person. Is this true?

I haven't heard of the appointment route before. The contact person is Rose Mirante at DPS she can be reached at (860) 685-8123 friendly and helpful good luck & Semper Fi.

Back
Top Bottom