Can I obtain my FID in Massachusetts if I was in a mental hospital when I was 17?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I'm completely new to this site but I just have a few questions. When I was 17 I was in a mental hospital for some severe anxiety. My question is: if I applied for my FID would the police station be allowed to check my junior record (I'm 18 now)? Would they know that I was in a mental hospital? Online it said that I would need a legal affidavit from a physician letting them know that I'm ok. But would they be able to, legally, check my junior record?

Hmmm, you're asking strangers if you should lie on your firearm application?

Are you sure you're better now?

I would suggest you tell the truth on the app and if you get denied, then get a lawyer.

Slapshot, you're wrong. He shouldn't lie or for that matter, fill out an application. Do not pass go, Do not pay 100$, do not apply for LTc. Go straight and directly to the local firearms attorney's office.

Also, were you ajudicated mentally insane? Were you sent there by a judge? Or go on your own? So many questions!

It is my understanding (which could well be wrong) that a commitment ordered by a judge is what matters. If you checked in yourself, or by family, you may be ok.

You should consult an actual attorney, though.

Sent from my chimney using smoke signals.

Too much info, and too few details.

There is a difference between being in a mental hospital, and being confined to a mental hospital.

The regs for FID issuance or denial are statutory; an LTC has discretion for the Chief (or issuing authority). If you do not fall into a statutory prohibition, then you should be issued the FID.

As for what the police can see....the consensus on here WRT the viewability of juvie stuff.....it will most likely be revealed.

So....don't lie, as you'll likely get caught, and "legitimately" denied.

Read the statutes, and compare what is law, to what you have in your past. If you do not understand it, spend the $ for an hour's time with a firearm law attorney.

And don't take internet answers as gospel.

IANAL, and all that.

Slapshot, you're wrong. He shouldn't lie or for that matter, fill out an application. Do not pass go, Do not pay 100$, do not apply for LTc. Go straight and directly to the local firearms attorney's office.

Also, were you ajudicated mentally insane? Were you sent there by a judge? Or go on your own? So many questions!

So you've been through this? You're going to spend how much on a lawyer to find out a minor with a completely unknown, to us, issue?

I might have been less helpful than i could have but more info is needed here.

Last edited:
Don't lie, don't go to an Internet forum for this kind of advice and consult a firearms attorney.

I am echoing what others have said. You got good advice and this thread should be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom