• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can I load 5.56 cases using .223 bullets and Load data.

I have about 200 pieces of 5.56 brass picked up at my range. Can I and is it safe to load them with .223 bullets and .223 load data? I am shooting only .223 out of my M&P15 Sport with a 5.56 barrell.

Thanks,
George

Yes you can. I do it all the time. Most reloaders do. 5.56 brass tends to be a little bit thicker, and the neck may be a pinch different, but its essentially the same piece of brass. You can safely load it.

you want to use .224 dia. bullets for .223 rem.
just make sure its boxer primed... I have some old norinco 223 thats berdan primed.

Last edited:
I have about 200 pieces of 5.56 brass picked up at my range. Can I and is it safe to load them with .223 bullets and .223 load data? I am shooting only .223 out of my M&P15 Sport with a 5.56 barrell.

Thanks,
George

No George you shouldn't be using that unsafe range brass!!!! Send it to me and I will dispose of it properly!![smile]

Thanks for you comments. Looks like I am good to go. Sorry Edster! BTW the bullets are Xtreme 55gr .223(.224 dia) FMJ.

Let me know how this goes for you. I just made a series of loads with the Xtremes I'm hoping for a break in the rain to go try out today. 10 each from 24 to 25 grains of H335 in .2 grain increments. Reasonably predicting the lower range will turn out to be a waste of time, but I'm hearing a lot of different things about these bullets, and I didn't have much better to do than manually weighing out 60 charges...

MConnelly2, I went to the range Sunday with 25 rounds loaded in the 5.56 brass with 24.5 grains of TAC and 25 .223 brass with 24.5 gr of TAC and I did not notice any difference in the rounds. I have been using the Xtreme 55gr FMJ bullets, about 750 so far and I am very happy with their performance.

Let me know how this goes for you. I just made a series of loads with the Xtremes I'm hoping for a break in the rain to go try out today. 10 each from 24 to 25 grains of H335 in .2 grain increments. Reasonably predicting the lower range will turn out to be a waste of time, but I'm hearing a lot of different things about these bullets, and I didn't have much better to do than manually weighing out 60 charges...

If you're using it inside of 100 yards 24gr should turn out to be plenty, less may even be fine if you want to be stingy. If you shoot at 200-300 often I'd hunt for the optimal charge weight which will be near the top end of (and sometimes above) the max listed charge in your book.

If you're going top end take the avg of 3 sources and load 3 shots each in .2 grain steps going up for about 5 loads. Shoot and watch for pressure signs. If you have a chrono use it and see where you stop gaining velocity as well if you have a short barrel.

got out for a little testing sat. Above is mixed nato brass with 846 surplus powder and some bulk 69 grain "match" bullets.
I didnt get to really test off the rifle rest. Just tossed on the bench with bipod.

heres another with sorted head stamps... I dont expect much from this load. I was actually shocked "I" even shot this good. Have not been behind the sights since nov 3.
As usual I was pressed for time.

10 shot groups, 2 warm up shots down the barrel then just plinked away the 2 groups. The top group is a bit more powder.

Last edited:
Im hijacking this. No not really. But We've answered one question. Now using my 5.56 brass reloading to .223 standards. But my intention is send these through a Ruger All American Rifle chambered in .223. Is this going to be a problem? I dont think it should be a problem as long as I trim the brass to size 1.750in (thats for semis) but keep it under 1.760" for sure. The only think I should have to worry about is the pressure right? But at .223 reloading standards it should be fine. I think?

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!

yes, of course you can do it, i do it all the time.... sometimes i do it twice on sundays......
processing 2100 mixed brass cases now, .223 and 5.56 and i'll be busy doing it all next week.....

The key is sort all brass and run batches of the same head stamp. Over the years some things change, I've had some early 90's Lake City that deliver higher FPS results than 07 batches.

Make sure you get rid of the crimped primer pockets and you should be good to go. I found that they require more trimming than .223 so make sure you double check that.

Make sure you get rid of the crimped primer pockets and you should be good to go. I found that they require more trimming than .223 so make sure you double check that.
Crimped are fine. Remove the crimp and carry on. If anyone wants to unload their crimped once fired brass pm me.....please

Back
Top Bottom