Can i hunt deer in MA with a pistolgrip shotgun?

Jfrog

NES Member
Just got a new shotgun for home defense but I'm wondering if I can legally use it for this hunting season since it has a pistol grip

so you want to use a pistol grip and probably a short barrel so you can get a crummy shot that might not be a kill shot.... so you can try to follow the wounded suffering animal.... and possibly not find what you shot?

Screw the legality, how about the ethics?

Just got a new shotgun for home defense but I'm wondering if I can legally use it for this hunting season since it has a pistol grip
Let's all back up.

Are you taking about a pistol-grip only:
iu

or a pistol grip stock:
iu

so you want to use a pistol grip and probably a short barrel so you can get a crummy shot that might not be a kill shot.... so you can try to follow the wounded suffering animal.... and possibly not find what you shot?

Screw the legality, how about the ethics?
100% this

1. There is no regulation that says you can't use a pistol grip shotgun while hunting. If your a hunter you should be reading the abstract and know this for sure.

2. Other NES members seem to habe jumped the gun here and are assuming your talking about a pistol grip only shogun....like....without a butt stock.
2a. If your talking about a pistol grip with a butt stock your good.
2b. If your talking about a pistol grip without a butt stock it's legal...... but epically stupid for even suggesting using It on deer at any distance beyond 10 feet.

Which is it?

Last edited:
This. Seems a few nesers jumped the gun lol
Being honest? It took me a second read to realize it might be a "failure to communicate." My first thought was "you know those are developed for a specific purpose that makes them poorly suited to field work, right?"

Being honest? It took me a second read to realize it might be a "failure to communicate." My first thought was "you know those are developed for a specific purpose that makes them poorly suited to field work, right?"
In my opinion they are barely suitable for the actual intended purpose of home defense.

There is no reason you can't put an accurate shot on target with a pistol grip shotgun. Not sure what everyone is smoking. As stated above i am assuming you are talking about pistol grip with stock.

There is no reason you can't put an accurate shot on target with a pistol grip shotgun. Not sure what everyone is smoking. As stated above i am assuming you are talking about pistol grip with stock.
I agree. Seems a few assumed op means pistol grip only. Op will have to clarify.

Pistol grip only.

Was shooting target loads.

I'm 6'6 and 300 lb so bot a heavy lift
Ok. That's impressive.

Still....hitting clays with target loads at the club is far different than trying to hit the engine room of a deer at distance.....you know.....hunter ethics and all. 🙄

Personally, I find pistol grips on shotguns about as useful as a screen door on a submarine. But there's no reason why you can't hunt with one if that's your thing.
With smaller hands i can handle a shotgun much better with a pistol grip. I would imagine that is different for everyone. Im in the market to change out my 10/22 stock for the same reason.

Back
Top Bottom