Can I Have a Handgun in RI w/ MA LTC if its Locked in a Case?

I searched for an answer and I read that it's okay to carry a handgun on oneself in RI with a MA LTC if one is passing through the state and does not detain oneself within the state. What if one plans to stop and the gun is unloaded and stored in a locked case?

I ask because I sea kayak in Newport, Little Compton, Jamestown or Narragansett one or two days a week during the summer and I'd like to carry my handgun on me during the drive but lock it in a Pelican case and bring it with me in the boat rather than risk leaving it in the car in an isolated parking lot.

Not allowed. You'd need a RI non-resident permit to carry in RI. Your MA LTC is not valid there. Only think you can do is have a locked up gun in the car if your licensed to own the gun from your leaving point and your destination. So if you left MA, traveled through RI and ended up back in MA, that is OK. Carrying it on your person, not OK.

Under FOPA the most you can do is stop to go to the bathroom or get food from a drive through.

There is case history of a guy who stopped for a nap and the cops checked up on him and found out he had guns and no NJ license and he's in jail now.

Not allowed. You'd need a RI non-resident permit to carry in RI. Your MA LTC is not valid there. Only think you can do is have a locked up gun in the car if your licensed to own the gun from your leaving point and your destination. So if you left MA, traveled through RI and ended up back in MA, that is OK. Carrying it on your person, not OK.

You are exactly wrong. RI law allows the carry on your person in a vehicle while traveling through the state as long as you don't "detain yourself" within the state AND you are allowed to have the firearm in your destination. So if you are just traveling through RI to another part of ma you can conceal on your person in your car as long as you don't stop in the state. Traffic lights are OK obviously but stopping for gas and getting out of your car is NOT.

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/rhode-island.aspx said:
CARRYING

It is unlawful to carry a handgun on or about one’s person or in any vehicle or conveyance without a license to carry.

Exceptions to this prohibition are:

• A person in his dwelling house, place of business, or on land possessed by him.

• A person licensed to carry in another state, provided he is merely transporting the weapon through the state with no intent to detain himself or remain within Rhode Island.

• Law enforcement personnel.

• Military personnel when on duty.

• Members of organizations authorized to purchase firearms from the U.S. provided they are at or going to or from their places of assembly or target practice.

• A person carrying a handgun unloaded and securely wrapped from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or in moving goods from one's place of abode or business to another.

• A person who is transporting a handgun from his home or place of business to a "bona fide target practice range" and back, provided the handgun is broken down, unloaded, and carried openly, or is unloaded and secured in a separate container.

To obtain a license to carry, an applicant must be twenty one years of age, be a resident of the town where he is applying, or having a bona fide residence within the U.S. and a license or permit to carry a concealed handgun issued by another state or unit of local government, and have a good reason to fear an injury to his person or property or have "any other proper reason for carrying" a handgun, and be "a suitable person to be so licensed."

From personal experience... I left fall river heading to KurtB's house in Mendon. I was stopped by a RI stat trooper for a seat belt violation on 146. He saw a rifle case in the bed of my truck and asked if there were any other guns I said "Yes my sidearm is holstered on my hip. I have a MA unrestricted LTC." He went back to the car and came back w/ my seat belt ticket. Never asked about the HG or to see my LTC.

This has been discussed here many many times before.

Under FOPA the most you can do is stop to go to the bathroom or get food from a drive through.

There is case history of a guy who stopped for a nap and the cops checked up on him and found out he had guns and no NJ license and he's in jail now.
Cite?

http://www.anjrpc.org/?travel_with_firearms said:
By Scott L. Bach

The Firearms Owner Protection Act (18 U.S.C. § 926A) – "FOPA” for short – was passed by Congress in 1986 to address abuses of gun laws from various states resulting in prosecution and imprisonment of peaceable gun owners travelling with firearms.

FOPA pre-empts state law and provides that if it is lawful for a traveller to possess firearms at both the points of departure and destination, then it is lawful to transport firearms anywhere in between during the course of travel – regardless of what local law says in the intervening states.

In order for FOPA to apply, the firearm must be unloaded and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported can be "readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the transporting vehicle.” In vehicles without a trunk, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

It must also be lawful for the traveller to possess firearms in the two jurisdictions where the travel begins and ends. Careful consideration of laws in both jurisdictions is advisable. Since local laws vary widely, there are no universally applicable guidelines. NRA-ILA publishes pamphlets analyzing the firearms laws of all 50 states, available online.

Some courts have held that the travel must be relatively prompt and direct in order for FOPA to apply, without undue delay in the course of travel other than as reasonably necessary.

FOPA's existence does not mean that local law enforcement will necessarily disregard local laws prohibiting possession and transportation of firearms. Many local police are not even aware of FOPA's existence (it's a good idea to have a copy of the law with you). In states like New Jersey, nonresidents with firearms are regularly arrested and prosecuted for local law violations. When the matter is finally sorted out in court, FOPA (if properly complied with) will be an absolute defense, but that is little consolation when an otherwise law-abiding citizen is arrested and imprisoned pending a hearing.

FOPA applies to all modes of transport. But airports in some anti-gun jurisdictions have become troublesome, where local police have disregarded FOPA and arrested travellers at check-in when declaring their firearms as required by FAA regulations. NRA is working to address this issue, and recently obtained a formal interpretation from the U.S. Attorney General addressing the problem. (For a PDF reproduction of this letter, click here.)

The case the other poster mentioned was big news and was discussed here several times. I'm sure you could find it in a search.

Yup that's what I was looking for not FOPA thanks

In that case... More about the decision here... http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/41/4110.asp

New Jersey appellate court upholds five-year sentence for ex-cop who was driving with his legally owned guns.

Motorists driving through New Jersey can be subjected to a warrantless search if their luggage is similar in appearance to a gun case, an appellate court ruled last week. The Superior Court's Appellate Division upheld a five year prison sentence against Dustin S. Reininger, a former police officer who was in the process of moving from Maine to Texas when a Readington Township police officer recognized the cases in the back of Reininger's vehicle as the sort that usually carries a rifle.

During the long trip on March 20, 2009, Reininger became tired and decided to pull off the road in an empty, well-lit parking lot. He stopped his green Toyota SUV, turned off his lights, and went to sleep in the driver's seat under a blanket. At 3:25am, Officer Gregory Wester knocked on his window and woke him up, shining a flashlight in his eyes. Officer Wester testified that Reininger appeared "nervous and tired." The policeman asked Reininger whether he was carrying anything illegal.

"No, no, all good," Reininger replied.

Reininger believes he was targeted because of his Texas license plates. Officer Wester then looked inside the SUV with his flashlight noticed two nylon cases in the back seat. Once backup arrived, Officer Wester asked for consent to search the vehicle, but Reininger said no. Officer Wester then opened up the vehicle to search the cases "for safety reasons" any way. Reininger was arrested.

After obtaining a warrant, police recovered fourteen rifles, four shotguns and three handguns, including a loaded Glock. A grand juror had asked the prosecutor whether this man would have been charged if he had used a different case.

"Basically, if someone is moving... from Residence A to Residence B, or transporting, say, for example, they just purchased it, so they can transport it to their home, if they are properly secured, locked in a trunk, locked in a special lockbox and unloaded, then that would most likely provide an exception to these requirements, and therefore a defense to being charged," prosecutor Bennett Barlyn explained.

Reininger's SUV did not have a trunk, and state law only requires the firearm be in a "closed and fastened case" or "securely tied package" while transported. His attorney argued the zippered cases satisfied this requirement.

A jury acquitted him of the charges for possession of the "assault firearms" and handgun possession but convicted him in absentia of illegal possession of hollow-point bullets, shotguns, rifles and a high-capacity magazine. He was apprehended in Texas and extradited to New Jersey.

"What I don't understand is I am a citizen without a criminal history who has served this country not only in the military but as a volunteer to my community and as a police officer, not even making hardly any income at all, and I would have given my life to protect another person and for this country," Reininger said in a statement. "How can I be convicted for exercising my right? When does it become a crime for exercising one's right?"

The three-judge appellate panel insisted New Jersey's gun control laws do not violate the constitutional right to keep and bear arms, citing the Supreme Court's recent Heller decision.

"The Second Amendment does not create 'a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever purpose,'" Judge Ronald B. Graves wrote for the panel. "Furthermore, the Second Amendment does not preclude the state from regulating the manner in which accessories must be transported."

The court also upheld the warrantless search of Reininger's vehicle.

"Based on the outward appearance of the nylon cases, Wester reasonably believed they contained rifles or shotguns that were easily accessible to defendant," Judge Graves wrote. "In our view, however, the warrantless seizure was not necessary for the officers' safety, because defendant had been removed from the vehicle and there were multiple backup officers at the scene. Nevertheless, we conclude the limited seizure was valid under the plain view exception to the search warrant requirement."

Back
Top Bottom