• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can I get some tips for my AR build?

Yes, FL. Also BA now owned by Aero and won’t ship to individuals in MA due to Maura picking on Aero. A shame, my BA 6.5CM barrel shoots close to half MOA. Match accuracy at a modest price.

Ah, didn't know about the MA thing.

I have 2 of their barrels, a 14.5" .223 that shoots real well, and a 20" 6.5CM sitting on my shelf above my bench for when I desire to try and crack the big frame guns. They are a great value, and seem to run 20% off deals around all the major holiday weekends.

Ah, didn't know about the MA thing.

I have 2 of their barrels, a 14.5" .223 that shoots real well, and a 20" 6.5CM sitting on my shelf above my bench for when I desire to try and crack the big frame guns. They are a great value, and seem to run 20% off deals around all the major holiday weekends.

Yep, great value. Don't know about now, but BA was making the all stainless barrels for Proof Research, the maker of ultra-high end carbon fiber wrapped barrels. BA run by a great guy who knows his stuff and is young enough to be around for a long time. He partnered w/ Aero, which later caused the Mass problem. From what I understand, our power hungry AG really leaned on Aero Precision. Aero doesn't have money like Exxon does in order to fight Mauron who has seemingly unlimited funds (our taxes) to sue companies that don't support her vision of a new world order. I take issue with NESers getting butthurt about Ballistic Advantage's MA shipping policy- wasn't really his decision. Next time I need something BA makes, I'll check out that NH outlet.

I'm curious how Aero Precision ended up on Mauron's radar screen?

I’m new to the AR platform and I own a complete lower that I want to build up. I want help selecting a solid BCG and Barrel for a fair price (would like to stay below $400 for the two). I figure those are the pieces I shouldn’t cheap out on and then I can scavenge for the rest. Is this the way to go? Any and all suggestions are welcome. (Chambered in 5.56)
What are you looking to do?
Range blaster, Rifle, carbine , SBR?
Will you be competing with it? If so what ?
I have seen complete uppers for under $400 on sale

If $400 is your budget for barrel and bolt you have a lot of options.
I’m really liking my Wilson Arms barrels and Criterion’s.

What are you looking to do?
Range blaster, Rifle, carbine , SBR?
Will you be competing with it? If so what ?
I have seen complete uppers for under $400 on sale

If $400 is your budget for barrel and bolt you have a lot of options.
I’m really liking my Wilson Arms barrels and Criterion’s.
Plan is to do 10.5” SBR in 5.56. Might do a 300BLK conversion later down the line. Range gun but I’m hoping for this to be my go-to rifle when it’s all said and done, so I don’t really want any crap. Affordable is fine, I don’t need gucci. So far, the info in this thread has been great and I at least have a broader knowledge base for when I’m ready to go shopping.

Green Mountain Rifle barrels is actually in North Conway NH, I drove up to buy my 16" 300blk barrel in the in show room. Pretty cool place, and that barrel shoots.

I am pretty sure BA is out of FL.

thanks for the geography lesson lol. I will definitely be heading there soon.

The ATF recommends that you notify them of permanent changes after you get your stamp. So caliber and length changes are permitted.

2nd this.
I SBR'd one of my 223/556 rifles to a 8.5" 9mm and I constantly swap out uppers on it like a 10.5" 300AAC and 10.5" 223.
It's the gift that keeps on giving. You can use any upper you want on your registered SBR.

Plan is to do 10.5” SBR in 5.56. Might do a 300BLK conversion later down the line. Range gun but I’m hoping for this to be my go-to rifle when it’s all said and done, so I don’t really want any crap. Affordable is fine, I don’t need gucci. So far, the info in this thread has been great and I at least have a broader knowledge base for when I’m ready to go shopping.
U definitely need a 300 blackout 9.5” or 9” upper. It’s like shooting 7.62 laser beams! Good luck!

Since he lives in MA and can't put a can on it, what advantage does .300blk give you? Legitimate question, I own nothing in that caliber. Yet.
300 blk out with a 9” barrel is probably my go to rifle if I had to pick one. It fires a 7.62 round without having to change anything on your AR other than the barrel of course. U will be amazed at how straight the round fires. I have a 50 yard zero on mine and my point of aim and impact is only off about 1-2 moa out to 200 yards. Can’t believe the military didn’t pick this round. Hope this helps!

U definitely need a 300 blackout 9.5” or 9” upper. It’s like shooting 7.62 laser beams! Good luck!
What are you shooting for ammo, I used barnes 110 and 150 grain reload out of a 16.5" barrel and was not very impressed.
The 300bk out did not take on me. I did have some fun lobbi ng some 200 grain cast loads before I sold it.

What are you shooting for ammo, I used barnes 110 and 150 grain reload out of a 16.5" barrel and was not very impressed.
The 300bk out did not take on me. I did have some fun lobbi ng some 200 grain cast loads before I sold it.
I’m in MA so I’m not shooting 200 grain Supressed sub-sonic and I usually shoot 147 grain seller benoit. For an SBR it’s definitely the most accurate round in my opinion.

I'm sure they do excellent work since I see them popping up all the time when this question gets asked, but Hanson is a real haul for me. Anyone have a suggestion for a place closer to metrowest?
2A engraving is in Nashua NH if that helps at all. U have to message him on Faceplant because it’s a side business for him but he does awesome work.

Since he lives in MA and can't put a can on it, what advantage does .300blk give you? Legitimate question, I own nothing in that caliber. Yet.

I'm sure they do excellent work since I see them popping up all the time when this question gets asked, but Hanson is a real haul for me. Anyone have a suggestion for a place closer to metrowest?

I say this because the 300blk was developed to shoot out of a shorter barrel. Whereas the main use of 5.56 was from a 20” barrel.

I agree. Hanson is a drive from Ashland... luckily for me I work in that direction so it was a bit less painful. There used to be someone who did laser engraving at the Marlborough gun show, but I’m not sure they still go.

Subsonic 300blk is for shooting in front of your friends and showing off quiet your gun is with a can on it. There are some expanding subsonic rounds that are pretty gnarly, but for the most part it's a novelty for gun nerds. Where 300blk is worth it is in the supersonic loads like the Barnes 110 black tip rounds. If you are a math nerd and care about it, the lighter supersonic loads will carry more energy inside 300 yards from a 9" barrel then a 556 will out of a 16" barrel.

I have been playing with 300blk for a few years now, it is too expensive to train with and shoot in high volume so I don't ever shoot it. I take a 16" 300blk AR in the woods with me in the fall when I pretend to deer hunt, but these days that is about my only use for it. Short guns don't really do it for me anymore unless I am running a can, even then I'd rather have a 14.5" gun, and if I am going that big, it will be in 556.

Back
Top Bottom