• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can I get some tips for my AR build?

I’m new to the AR platform and I own a complete lower that I want to build up. I want help selecting a solid BCG and Barrel for a fair price (would like to stay below $400 for the two). I figure those are the pieces I shouldn’t cheap out on and then I can scavenge for the rest. Is this the way to go? Any and all suggestions are welcome. (Chambered in 5.56)

i love Green Mountain barrels out of Vermont. Have used them in ARs and 22 target rifles. Not overly expensive but great quality. Lot's of info can be had at ar15.com as well. good luck! you have the hard part done (lower)

edit: I guess I fell for the Green Mountain thing. In NH, not VT.

Last edited:
Lantac BCG and upper
Raptor charging handle
Ballistics Advantage barrel with pinned block
Handguard is your personal choice but I like SLR.
Timney or Giesslie trigger
Magpul stock, flip up sights and grips
KAK Flash can
Vortex optic/red dot

Do this and u will have one of those “fully semi-auto, extra killy, shoulder thing that goes up, weapons of war off our streets” rifle! Good luck!
Don’t forget to tax stamp it too!

Ballistic Advantage and Faxon are two barrel makers with a lot of quality for the price. If getting a 16 inch barrel get a midlength gas system.

Don't skimp on the BCG, it needs to have the right specs. I prefer nickleboron or Nitride, but phosphate works fine.

For the BCG, you should look for:

Carrier - 8620 steel with a staked gas key (grade 8 fasteners)

Bolt - 9310 or C158 steel. High Pressure tester(HPT) and Magnetic Particle Inspected (MPI)

Steve at Northeast Arms @sschevy recommended FN cold hammer forged 1:7 twist chrome lined barrels and LMT bolts. The carrier group I just went with a nickel boron from AIM surplus.

Stupid accurate and durable barrel - it's essentially a machine gun barrel. I doubt I'll ever wear out the barrel.

@shootermcgavin1 go see Steve. He's got everything you need (and can order anything you need at awesome prices). The FN barrel I bought from him was cheaper than I could get it online.

Northeast Arms - Route 1 South in Peabody
88766df4-1bb8-41d0-b57c-d831feb557fd-jpeg.258768

599be4eb-1ec9-4028-8419-271285d00325-jpeg.258769

Last edited:
Lantac BCG and upper
Raptor charging handle
KAK Flash can
Vortex optic/red dot

Do this and u will have one of those “fully semi-auto, extra killy, shoulder thing that goes up, weapons of war off our streets” rifle! Good luck!

Yes, but if He buys it in Maine and drives it across the border, he can avoid the Gun show loophole.

I have a few uppers with FN barrels thanks to Steve at North East Arms. I have been thinking more about Faxon with matched bolts from them as I really like the gunner profile barrels. Still not ready to go pencil barrel yet though the weight savings would be nice. Also the low profile gas block and slim brake (if they are ever in stock).

Lantac BCG and upper
Raptor charging handle
KAK Flash can
Vortex optic/red dot

Tax stamp is in process. Should be any day now gauging by current turnaround times I’m seeing. But I’m not holding my breath.

i love Green Mountain barrels out of Vermont. Have used them in ARs and 22 target rifles. Not overly expensive but great quality. Lot's of info can be had at ar15.com as well. good luck! you have the hard part done (lower)

Green Mountain Rifle barrels is actually in North Conway NH, I drove up to buy my 16" 300blk barrel in the in show room. Pretty cool place, and that barrel shoots.

Ballistic Advantage barrels from NH. Stainless steel in 223 wylde and M4 feed ramps.

I am pretty sure BA is out of FL.

Green Mountain Rifle barrels is actually in North Conway NH, I drove up to buy my 16" 300blk barrel in the in show room. Pretty cool place, and that barrel shoots.

I am pretty sure BA is out of FL.

Yes, FL. Also BA now owned by Aero and won’t ship to individuals in MA due to Maura picking on Aero. A shame, my BA 6.5CM barrel shoots close to half MOA. Match accuracy at a modest price.

Yes, FL. Also BA now owned by Aero and won’t ship to individuals in MA due to Maura picking on Aero. A shame, my BA 6.5CM barrel shoots close to half MOA. Match accuracy at a modest price.
That’s right about BA and Aero shipping to MA. I have a contact in NH and I use there address to ship to. I actually called Aero and told them a small Ammo company in Connecticut got with there lawyers and told Maura to Eff- off why can’t u guys do the same with your lawyers?..

They wouldn't do a dealer acct with me because MA. Companies like them and BCM can pound sand, plenty of other companies out there making things as good and/or cheap.

That’s right about BA and Aero shipping to MA. I have a contact in NH and I use there address to ship to. I actually called Aero and told them a small Ammo company in Connecticut got with there lawyers and told Maura to Eff- off why can’t u guys do the same with your lawyers?..

They wouldn't do a dealer acct with me because MA. Companies like them and BCM can pound sand, plenty of other companies out there making things as good and/or cheap.
Wow! And there in Washington State with a whole lot of gun control coming to them. They should know better! And yes to f*** BCM, but I think they will do a dealer account??..

Wow! And there in Washington State with a whole lot of gun control coming to them. They should know better! And yes to f*** BCM, but I think they will do a dealer account??..

Back
Top Bottom