• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can I concealed carry antique weapons without an LTC (or with a restricted LTC)?

Hello, I am an FID holder with a question regarding antique weapons. I have already looked at the existing threads in this forum, but I wanted to clarify a few things regarding concealed carry of a loaded antique weapon.

For background, in Commonwealth vs. Liquarry C. Jefferson and Leslie Burton-Brown, the Supreme Judicial Court declared that "A person does not need a license to carry a firearm made before 1900". My main questions are:

1. Can an individual who does not have an unrestricted LTC concealed carry an antique weapon that an expert can testify was made before 1900 anywhere someone with an unrestricted LTC could carry?
2. If yes, are there any notable differences between someone with an unrestricted LTC concealed carrying a firearm and someone concealed carrying an antique weapon? For example, could I conceal carry a loaded antique weapon?

If you are able to get an unrestricted LTC, generally there would be no benefit to concealed carrying an antique weapon. Given that many towns in Massachusetts only issue unrestricted licenses in limited cases, I feel like a concealed carry antique weapon could be a strong alternative to moving to another town. Although people generally think of very old guns like flintlock or percussion pistols when it comes to antique weapons, there are some potentially noteworthy options such as revolvers or even semi-automatic pistols (i.e a Mauser C96) made before 1900.

If you don’t have a LTC-A (unrestricted) and carry an antique gun you will get arrested (if caught). Cops won’t care how old the gun is. The charges may get dropped but they may not.

If you don’t have a LTC-A (unrestricted) and carry an antique gun you will get arrested (if caught). Cops won’t care how old the gun is. The charges may get dropped but they may not.
Is the question “is this legal?” or “is this prudent?”

Yes
No
The theory was that if it is legal without much grey area (especially given that MA's own courts have ruled on this specific thing), the first encounter with my town's police might be problematic, but if I can get the charges dropped once I likely won't have similar issues with my town again. Sure maybe every now and then there could be a small headache for a bit, but once I succeed for the first time, that precedence ideally will make those experiences not as bad.

Not trying to make any assumptions, but if your FID card is because you had a LTC revoked or denied then that would probably make your question easier to answer.

The real question here should not be can you carry an antique weapon, it should be why would you want to? Why would anyone want to carry a weapon to protect their life that may or may not blow up in their face?

The real question here should not be can you carry an antique weapon, it should be why would you want to? Why would anyone want to carry a weapon to protect their life that may or may not blow up in their face?
I don't view this as a major concern if you purchase an antique weapon in good condition, make sure to maintain the weapon, and occasionally have it inspected by a proper gun smith for any repairs.

I don't view this as a major concern if you purchase an antique weapon in good condition, make sure to maintain the weapon, and occasionally have it inspected by a proper gun smith for any repairs.
Ok, let’s play this out. You’re carrying your antique gun. Cop pulls you over, see’s it. “Do you have a license for that?”
“No, but..”
“Please step out of the car sir”
You get arrested and charges are dropped.
Fast forward five years when you apply for your LTC-A.
Chief remembers you and denies you dut to “suitably”.
Is it worth it?

Ok, let’s play this out. You’re carrying your antique gun. Cop pulls you over, see’s it. “Do you have a license for that?”
“No, but..”
“Please step out of the car sir”
You get arrested and charges are dropped.
Fast forward five years when you apply for your LTC-A.
Chief remembers you and denies you dut to “suitably”.
Is it worth it?
This question was more for general knowledge/understanding, rather than only for my specific situation. In my case, I would likely attempt to get an unrestricted LTC before I would carry an antique weapon. I would only consider carrying an antique if I was unable to get an unrestricted license.
If they want, the police will punish you with the process. Cops have arrested people on charges they know won't win in court. Even if it doesn't go to trial, the damage to your wallet and personal life could tremendous.
This is a fair point and one to consider for anyone interested in carrying an antique weapon.

The theory was that if it is legal without much grey area (especially given that MA's own courts have ruled on this specific thing), the first encounter with my town's police might be problematic, but if I can get the charges dropped once I likely won't have similar issues with my town again. Sure maybe every now and then there could be a small headache for a bit, but once I succeed for the first time, that precedence ideally will make those experiences not as bad.
Sounds good in theory, but...Your FID Card can now be revoked at the issuing CLEO’s discretion. If that happens, it’s pretty much a slam dunk denial when you apply for an LTC

Its something I may or may not have done with a cap and ball Uberti when i lived in MA and was only given an LTC with restrictions. I wouldn't have done it prior to applying out of fear that I could have disqualified myself. If you're planning on moving to a free state in the near future, maybe. But if not then I think its best you err on the side of caution here. 21 isn't too far away. If you wanna stick it out in MA, then keeping BS off your record is probably in your best interest. Whether you are legally in the right or not.

I've got a Webley Mark I that'll do you just fine, but you'll need to learn to reload for it. $6,833 OBO. I know what I have. Goose rules.

Nah, I'm messing with you OP. I'd side with the people who point out that it's not worth the potential hazard of getting jammed for suitability for the rest of your life. Just grab some pepper spray instead. Sucks, but...

at least in NH when the Chief has to re-certify as a LEO there is a physical fitness component involved.

If you can't pass the test you are done.

Doesn't really matter if it's legal or not. They will just say the magic word "suitability" and no guns for you. And once labeled this you will find it near impossible to get a license in any other town in MA, even if they say it's BS they are unlikely to go against a denial from another chief.

When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My best advice is to train other CQC combative skills such as BJJ or Krav Maga in the interim to gain proficiency in other self-defensive methods. Not sure your personal fitness level, but it’s never too late to improve overall fitness — cardiovascular endurance, agility, flexibility and strength.

Once you get your LTC, you’ll have a lifetime to hone those skills.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom