• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can I change Upper on Colt AR-15 A2 Carbine ?

STEED

NES Member
I have a Pre-Ban Colt AR-15 A2 Carbine that I purchased new in 1988.

I'm in Massachusetts so the collapsible butt stock is legal due to it's age.

It has the Carry handle that I like, but want variety.

Rather than purchasing a new flat top AR, I was wondering if I could simply purchase a new upper and switch out as needed.

I "think" the answer is yes, but I thought it best to ask for input and suggestions.

Last edited:
If you purchased it "new" in 1998 then it is not pre-ban and must stay within the limits of the AWB. No?

Depends on DOB of the rifle. If Manufactured in AW configuration (ONLY) on/before 9/13/1994, it is pre-ban. If made after that date it is NOT pre-ban and must always remain MA-neutered.

Manufacturing date and purchase date are very different.
Although the question is ask many times some people still don't know what you can do to a pre ban.
Also some might not even know what they really have.

Manufacturing date and purchase date are very different.
Although the question is ask many times some people still don't know what you can do to a pre ban.
Also some might not even know what they really have.

That's why we have a link here in a Sticky in my training sub-forum that points to a list of legit pre-ban S/Ns. BATFE required all mfrs back in 1994 to submit lists of legit pre-ban S/Ns. If it fits you are GTG. If it doesn't, unless you have proof of it being built up with evil features on/before that date, it is NOT legally a pre-ban.

I have a Pre-Ban Colt AR-15 A2 Carbine that I purchased new in 1998.

I'm in Massachusetts so the collapsible butt stock is legal due to it's age.

It has the Carry handle that I like, but want variety.

Rather than purchasing a new flat top AR, I was wondering if I could simply purchase a new upper and switch out as needed.

I "think" the answer is yes, but I thought it best to ask for input and suggestions.

1994 is the real preban, that's when you can add any features you want. If you are talking the 2016 Healy ban than you can change uppers all you want but you need to make sure you don't turn it in to "assault weapon" that was post 1994 ban. IANAL, make sure you research what you want to do.

Aren’t we all here to help one another? Why is it sad that I asked a question?

It's not sad that YOU asked the question, it's sad that WE have to even ask these questions. The laws and restrictions in this state are BS and WE shouldn't have to be confined by them.

Last edited:
Aren’t we all here to help one another? Why is it sad that I asked a question?

When was your lower manufactured? If it was 1998.. that's not the good preban. That's the Healy preban.
You want prior to 9/13/1994 as a manufactured date. That is the true PreBan that is referred to in certain rifles that you can modify how ever you'd like.

Damnit. Didn't see the change in Year either.
You my friend can do what ever the hell you want.
Except for adding a suppressor. Don't do that.

Thinking out loud, is there a such thing as a pre-ban supressor? Are they transferable ?

No! No suppressor in MA. Don't think about it. Don't look at it. Don't imagine it.
You can however.. Have a fake one.. A muzzle break on the front that looks like a suppressor. But it can't act as one. It's a barrel shroud.

Back
Top Bottom