• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can I Carry a Black Powder Revolver?

Not 21 yet, only have my FID. I carry a shotgun in the trunk, but obviously can't do very much with that in an emergency. My only option as far as handguns go would be my 1851 Pietta. Say I loaded it with 6 shots; could I carry this in a holster, while driving? Or would I need to store it in the trunk if it was loaded?

Not 21 yet, only have my FID. I carry a shotgun in the trunk, but obviously can't do very much with that in an emergency. My only option as far as handguns go would be my 1851 Pietta. Say I loaded it with 6 shots; could I carry this in a holster, while driving? Or would I need to store it in the trunk if it was loaded?

There's the technically legal answer: Yes (at least to the best of my knowledge, IANAL)

But I suspect someone would "fear for their life", call 911 and you'll be arrested for disturbing the peace or some BS.

Then there's the incorrect, but safe answer: Wait until you're 21 and then CC like the rest of us.

There's the technically legal answer: Yes (at least to the best of my knowledge, IANAL)

But I suspect someone would "fear for their life", call 911 and you'll be arrested for disturbing the peace or some BS.

Then there's the incorrect, but safe answer: Wait until you're 21 and then CC like the rest of us.

Eeeeasy there McMuffin. Or when the day comes you are likely to find yourself labelled unsuitable before you ever get the chance.

Yup, legal but not advisable. Average cop isn't going to know/care if it's legal without an LTC. You'll end up arrested and charged, but may beat it. Then you'll be unsuitable for life. Not worth it.

The usual disclaimer IANAL

I didn't mean open carry in public, obviously that's rediculous with BP. I don't like having the shotgun in the trunk, unloaded, as I feel like if something ever went wrong I wouldn't have ample time to reach it and such. Would the glove box be a happy medium? Just so I'm able to have some type of fast response solution?

To those saying "just wait"- I work in a city overnight and don't live in a super nice area. An unexpected event may not decide to occur after I'm 21, so I would like a practical solution for now. Glovebox? Metal box on the passenger side? Wouldn't be taking it outside of the vehicle unless locking it in the trunk or bringing it back inside my home.

I didn't mean open carry in public, obviously that's rediculous with BP. I don't like having the shotgun in the trunk, unloaded, as I feel like if something ever went wrong I wouldn't have ample time to reach it and such. Would the glove box be a happy medium? Just so I'm able to have some type of fast response solution?

To those saying "just wait"- I work in a city overnight and don't live in a super nice area. An unexpected event may not decide to occur after I'm 21, so I would like a practical solution for now. Glovebox? Metal box on the passenger side? Wouldn't be taking it outside of the vehicle unless locking it in the trunk or bringing it back inside my home.

Look, it's your life. If you want to risk going to jail and becoming a prohibited person for the rest of your life, have at it. Nobody here will blink an eye.

Otherwise, sit tight for a few more years.

You HAVE no practical solution for "right now". That's just the way it is.

Here, buy this holster for your cell phone and wear your shirt loosely covering it. Then look real serious and people will leave you alone.

Universal_Vertical_All_American_Leather_Phone_Holster_XL-max-800x800.jpg

OP: Since you began the thread from the point of view of personal defense, I have to ask: is the gun unloaded while it's in the trunk (no ammo in the chamber(s) or magazine contained within the gun)? If you have ammo in the locations above, it's a no-no.

As for the actual questions, the answers above are correct - it's legal, but not advisable. My son was at the range, in the same licesne condition that OP describes, and was confronted (politely) by a cop that was also a member about his age, and possession and use of a BP revolver. My son schooled the cop (politely) on the law, and they ended up swapping toys. But this was a meeting at the range, not a response to a 911 call about someone thinking that some dude that thinks he's Little Joe Cartwright is at the Stop & Shop.

If you NEED to carry a BP, get this:

Traditions™ Vest Pocket Derringer .31 Cal. Percussion Pistol : Cabela's

You'll have the same legal possibilities, but be less noticeable.

OP: Since you began the thread from the point of view of personal defense, I have to ask: is the gun unloaded while it's in the trunk (no ammo in the chamber(s) or magazine contained within the gun)? If you have ammo in the locations above, it's a no-no.

As for the actual questions, the answers above are correct - it's legal, but not advisable. My son was at the range, in the same licesne condition that OP describes, and was confronted (politely) by a cop that was also a member about his age, and possession and use of a BP revolver. My son schooled the cop (politely) on the law, and they ended up swapping toys. But this was a meeting at the range, not a response to a 911 call about someone thinking that some dude that thinks he's Little Joe Cartwright is at the Stop & Shop.

If you NEED to carry a BP, get this:

Traditions™ Vest Pocket Derringer .31 Cal. Percussion Pistol : Cabela's

You'll have the same legal possibilities, but be less noticeable.
THANK YOU. And no, as far as the shotgun goes, I keep the weapon in a case with the ammo in a seperate pouch. Reason for posting was for the express purpose of NOT getting into trouble.
Thank you for linking the derringer, by the way. I'll check it out.

Don't know why everyone else is being so fire to brimstone; just trying to make due with what I can here.

It's not fire and brimstone - it's practicality.

I coined the term, "Massprudence," meaning exceeding the requirements of law, to avoid potential trouble for a reason.

As I noted, not all cops know the twists and re-twists of the law, and even being on the right side, you may get jammed up. It's a risk-reward sort of thing: getting jammed up at 20, over something like this, may royally screw you over when you apply due to suitability.

Now you're over 18, and entitled to make your own decisions. However, you came and asked for advice, and you got it, all AFAIK correct and prudent. That said, free advice is worth what it costs, and none of the posters, myself included, are lawyers. If you want a real answer, hire one of the fine folks that understand mass gun laws with a J.D. after their name, and act as you see fit, based on their info.

The chance of you needing a BP revolver for personal defense is less than the chance of getting pulled over. Getting pulled over with a cowboy gun on your hip will....likely get interesting. You have no legal requirement to tell John Law that you're packing (though if asked, don't lie), but a gun on your hip will be noticed.

You've got your answer, and, just for the record: by NES standards, this was NOT fire and brimstone! [rofl]

They’re going to have a hard time picking the proper backdrop for the evidence table photo shoot if they want to get the caps, balls and powder to all be visible.

Pepper spray would be a better than nothing type of option. Otherwise Id have to agree with the other posters in that even though bp "firearms" are not firearms under MA law, the law tends to get thrown out the window here when it comes to guns and youre running the risk of screwing yourself for life by carrying one.

Take some time to educate yourself as best you can on MA law regarding firearms. With that knowledge under your belt, weigh the odds of you getting caught up in the legal system vs the odds of you ending up in a life threatening situation. Knowing the risks involved from both the law and from dirtbags, do whatever you feel is best for your situation.

THANK YOU. And no, as far as the shotgun goes, I keep the weapon in a case with the ammo in a seperate pouch. Reason for posting was for the express purpose of NOT getting into trouble.
Thank you for linking the derringer, by the way. I'll check it out.

Don't know why everyone else is being so fire to brimstone; just trying to make due with what I can here.

Because we are trying to help you from becoming PP or being declared Unsuitable. If you end up in an interaction with the po po you will never get an LTC in MA. You get to decide for yourself if it's worth the risk.

Pepper spray would be a better than nothing type of option. Otherwise Id have to agree with the other posters in that even though bp "firearms" are not firearms under MA law, the law tends to get thrown out the window here when it comes to guns and youre running the risk of screwing yourself for life by carrying one.

Take some time to educate yourself as best you can on MA law regarding firearms. With that knowledge under your belt, weigh the odds of you getting caught up in the legal system vs the odds of you ending up in a life threatening situation. Knowing the risks involved from both the law and from dirtbags, do whatever you feel is best for your situation.

I retract my "no solution" comment. Pepper Spray is an excellent solution for the OP and far less likely to get in hot water.

Yup, legal but not advisable. Average cop isn't going to know/care if it's legal without an LTC. You'll end up arrested and charged, but may beat it. Then you'll be unsuitable for life. Not worth it.
Jail or not, you'll be broke.
Some cops and prosecutors will punish you with the process. A day or week in jail then every penny you have on a defense trying to stay out of jail. They know you'll win but spend tens of thousands, or you'll take a plea and have something on your record. Either way, they win.

We should all be carrying pepper spray. Stats say we are 5 times more likely to be attacked with non- lethal force. If all we have is a gun and go to it, even if the trigger isn't pulled, it's a fellony if the threat was "non-lethal".

Even with just a long gun in the trunk, you should read The Law of Self Defense by Andrew Branca ($9.99 amazon kindle). "Self defense" has a strict legal definition, generally with 5 separate criteria your actions must meet. Meet only 4 of the 5 (like not retreating when there was a safe opportunity) and you're going to jail.

Interesting thread.

I understand working late in a bad area, but you’re only intending to defend yourself in your car... what’s wrong with just rolling up the window and flooring it? Flight beats fight in MA, especially if you’re carrying underage.

My tongue-in-cheek advice? Wear a fanny pack. Everyone will assume you’re packing and leave you alone.

G t fo of that state before it is too late.

Move to TN or something. You are young. Now dude or dudette.

I went to MA from Fla at age 30. Even though I was born there and learned to shoot there.

Huge financial mistake and I have spent the last 6 years trying to fully escape the NE.

Watched blazing saddles? "Everything below the waist is kaput"? Well. Everything north of DC is kerflumpt.

./ducks

... Until you get north of Cumberland Ct. Maine

it is an interesting thread, no doubt.

just an observation, all that comes to mind is mattie ross, in true grit, toting around that big walker colt in a flower sack. stiches bustin' funny!

Such a stoopid law. No such restriction just a little bit north. My son ( Now over21) as well as several of his friends have been carrying since their teens. It all depends on the concept of both parental & personal responsibility as well as maturity. I gave him his first pistol when he got his drivers license at 16 1/2, he's had his own rifles since he was 10.

--------------------edit to add: for the curious; first rifle was Henry golden boy, engraved "For achievements in academics and Scouting" , first pistol was S&W 1911 govt in .45acp

Last edited:
Such a stoopid law. No such restriction just a little bit north. My son ( Now over21) as well as several of his friends have been carrying since their teens. It all depends on the concept of both parental & personal responsibility as well as maturity. I gave him his first pistol when he got his drivers license at 16 1/2, he's had his own rifles since he was 10.

‘Merica

You know the whole shotgun in the trunk as self defence isn't going to fly if you ever use it. First, if you have time to go get and load the shotgun, it's not an imminent threat and you have more than enough time to just leave. If you bring it with you it's premeditated and just carrying it will be an assault, if you use it it's murder.

A self defence claim just won't work unless it's something you carry with you.

OP, you need to think about your actions, you're headed down a dangerous path that leads to prison or at least PP.

Did someone say 'blackpowder pistol'?

600px-POTC3_23.jpg

On a serious note, despite what I think is right I'm going to suggest not carrying a blackpowder pistol in Mass without your LTC. We can all argue what you should be able to do, but the reality in Mass is that the potential consequences are very serious despite the fact that you are not technically in violation. The likelihood of a young person being pulled over are extremely high as well. That's my recommendation, from a person who always kept a loaded pistol in the truck / car with no need of an LTC- before moving here.

I do think BP pistols are a ton of fun and always enjoy a range day with them.

Back
Top Bottom