Can I Buy a Preban lower out of the sate of MA?

I want to buy a preban lower reciever for an AR from a FFL dealer in WI. I was told by a Dealer in MA that I couldent , it had to be registered in MA prior to the Ban. Is this true?

First: What dealer told you that?

Second: That is not true.

You can buy it (and use it with Pre-Ban pride), as long as it was a complete rifle made prior to Sept 13th 1993, you're good to go.

If it's an AR rifle, no it's not true--you can buy it. Find a different FFL that knows the law.

If it's an AR pistol, the MA FFL is correct and they can not transfer it to you.

EDIT: and if it's neither apparently you're SOL

Last edited:
I want to buy a preban lower reciever for an AR from a FFL dealer in WI. I was told by a Dealer in MA that I couldent , it had to be registered in MA prior to the Ban. Is this true?

The MA dealer is full of s**t. Find a different one to do the transfer.

-Mike

I wish I could tell you the dealer, he is fairly new, but i got repremanded on here for dropping names. The rifle was compleat from the late 80's PWA commando, im just buying the lower.

No you can NOT buy any gun RECEIVER out of state. BATFE put an end to that a couple of years ago. BATFE's new interpretation is that a Receiver is an "other" and is to be treated the same as a handgun (transfers only legal in new owner's state of residence).

If it is a complete gun, yes you can buy it from an FFL in any state as long as it is either pre-ban (9/13/1994) or MA AWB-compliant. [Pre-ban guns did NOT have to be in MA by any date, can freely be transfered into the state, etc.]

[The OP specifically said RECEIVER, but I'm trying to cover all bases.]

ETA: It is my understanding of the BATFE ruling that "just a lower" is NOT eligible for purchase from an FFL in another state. It would have to be transfered to a MA FFL for the transfer to a MA Resident.]

Last edited:
No you can NOT buy any gun RECEIVER out of state. BATFE put an end to that a couple of years ago. BATFE's new interpretation is that a Receiver is an "other" and is to be treated the same as a handgun (transfers only legal in new owner's state of residence).

If it is a complete gun, yes you can buy it from an FFL in any state as long as it is either pre-ban (9/13/1994) or MA AWB-compliant. [Pre-ban guns did NOT have to be in MA by any date, can freely be transfered into the state, etc.]

[The OP specifically said RECEIVER, but I'm trying to cover all bases.]

Why can't the WI FFL ship the receiver to the MA FFL? I thought that only applied to FTF or dealer purchases out of state.

Len, that's only for stripped lowers. Most preban lowers don't fall into that class unless the seller strips it down before sale, which most don't. As long as it has a stock on it, it's a rifle. I doubt that's what the OP is trying to do anyways, he's probably having it shipped to an inbound here, and that would effectively make the stripped lower thing moot anyways.

-Mike

It has no stock/buffer tube spring ect.. just the grip. so i guess its a no go.??

It'll transit any MA FFL if you are inbounding it. If you are picking it up in person in WI, I would tak to the remote FFL out there and see how they will transfer it to you in person as you're a nonresident. IMO if it has a rifle buffer tube on it (and it was originally manufactured as a rifle lower, and likely built into a rifle at some point) it should transfer as a rifle.

-Mike

It's still a "go". You can NOT personally pick it up form out of state dealer, but he can ship it to a local MA dealer, who would transfer it to you.

That is my intent to have it shipped from WI from an FFL to a MA FFL. So even if it dosen't have a stock its still good to go?

It's still a "go". You can NOT personally pick it up form out of state dealer, but he can ship it to a local MA dealer, who would transfer it to you.

If it's being shipped to a MA dealer for transfer, it can be even a stripped lower.

Jack covered it nicely.

Mike, I have been told by a dealer I trust (not in MA IIRC) that if it doesn't have a barrel on it, it must be "other" on the 4473 and thus no-go on NR over-the-counter transfers. Not being a dealer, I'll take his word on it and it's not worth my effort researching with BATFE Tech Branch.

Back
Top Bottom