• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can I buy a hand gun..................

Kicker96FS

NES Member
Can I buy a hand gun from someone with a NON-RES, LTC-A, face to face?

I assume the answer is no because they can't buy here on the non-res (right?) And even that is stupid because they have passed all the requirements you and I have to get the non-res.

But I still have to ask the experts. Where that info is would be really nice! (as opposed to the usual conjecture we are all subject to) [wink]

Thanks.

As others have said, this isn't so much a state issue as it is a federal issue. Federal law prohibits private sales across state lines. The fact that he has a non-resident LTC is immaterial -- he isn't a resident of MA, so it would be a sale across state lines.

but he can bring it here to an FFL and you can do the transaction through the FFL. At least you don't have to ship it or anything.

Gun shows are the legal exception to the requirement for dealers to sell at their place of business.

Don, you are wrong. Fed Law was passed (think it was 1986, but not positive of date) that allowed FFL Dealers to sell at any gun show as long as it was in the same state that they have their FFL listed in. So it is an exception to the "only at the licensed premises" law.

Hey, does that go for long guns, or rifles too? (Not AR-15's but bolt action type or a shotgun) as far as buying and selling out of state? The only long gun I ever bought was out of state and from a FFL, once at a show and once at a store. So if I wanted to by my buddies Remington 700, and he lived in Maine, we would have to do it at a FFL? And if so, who's state, or does that part ,matter as long as I file a FA-10?

Too many rules, too many laws. This anarchy thing is starting to sound pretty good.

Can I buy a hand gun from someone with a NON-RES, LTC-A, face to face?

No, because if they were actually a resident (in some form or another) they'd be able to get a resident LTC-A that way and nobody with two brain cells would refuse getting that over the crappy painful nonres license if they could work the system.

-Mike

Hey, does that go for long guns, or rifles too? (Not AR-15's but bolt action type or a shotgun) as far as buying and selling out of state? The only long gun I ever bought was out of state and from a FFL, once at a show and once at a store. So if I wanted to by my buddies Remington 700, and he lived in Maine, we would have to do it at a FFL? And if so, who's state, or does that part ,matter as long as I file a FA-10?

Too many rules, too many laws. This anarchy thing is starting to sound pretty good.

Fed law says you can buy a long gun from a resident of the state you are a resident of OR from any FFL. So if a guy in Maine wants to sell a Ma**h*** a gun, you need an FFL involved. Fed law doesn't care who the FFL is or where he is.

Different rules for handguns and "other" (e.g. lowers).

ETA: In determining who can buy/sell what/when/where, for the Feds, rifles is rifles. Actually, long guns is long guns. They don't give a fig whether it's a single shot NEF Pardner or a Tactical ATACS HighCap AR. Is long gun.

Any given state may have additional rules for different varieties of long guns.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom