• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can I buy a bolt action action rifle in FL and bring it back to MA

New member here. Just got my LTC this past December. Live in MA but I'm wintering in FL and looking to acquire a Savage 10 FCP-SR. I've tried reading through our convoluted Ma gun laws and unable to nail down if I can buy the Savage bolt action rifle while in Fl and bring it home on the drive back to Ma. Savage is currently offering a $75 rebate on this rifle which expires April 1st. Anyone have any experience or know if this would be legal?

Must purchase through an FFL in FL and eFA-10 within 7 days of returning to MA. NO mags greater than 10 rounds can be brought into MA unless pre-ban, so if the rifle in magazine fed, the magazines cannot exceed 10 rounds if new.

Yes, it is legal to purchase out of state. Federal law comes into play in that you can buy a long gun out of state as long as it is not illegal in your state of residence. You will need to register it on via the online FA-10 form when you bring it to MA in order to comply with the law.

The Savage is legal in MA so that's covered. Do I have to register within 7 days of purchase or within 7 days on returning to Ma?

Assuming you're driving it back: unloaded, in a locked case, in the trunk; or if your vehicle has no trunk, then somewhere in the back, unloaded in a locked case not the console or glove box.

eFA-10 within 7 days of bringing it into MA.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I would be driving it back. I'd plan on buying a lockable case. No ammo would be in the SUV.

Yes, it is legal to purchase out of state. Federal law comes into play in that you can buy a long gun out of state as long as it is not illegal in your state of residence. You will need to register it on via the online FA-10 form when you bring it to MA in order to comply with the law.
What is online FA10? Never heard of it. Bought two rifles and two shotguns from Alabama dealer and brought them to MA, then got MA gun license. Cop who gave me the license said that it is all we needed (wife got hers too). Wife and I still have vacation home in Alabama.

Buy ammo if you can find it. No problem driving it back either. Just keep it separate and lock it up or in the trunk if you have one. Also if your sleeping take the gun into your room with you, discretely not all hotels a prove

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

What is online FA10? Never heard of it. Bought two rifles and two shotguns from Alabama dealer and brought them to MA, then got MA gun license. Cop who gave me the license said that it is all we needed (wife got hers too). Wife and I still have vacation home in Alabama.

If you brought them with you when you moved, there is no requirement to register them. It's only for items you purchase out of state and bring back to MA after you live here.

If you buy something out of state and never bring it to MA, it doesn't need to be eFA10'd.

OP, if you have a residence in Florida and live there part year, research ATF dual residency. You can qualify and buy whatever you want legally in Florida.

If you brought them with you when you moved, there is no requirement to register them. It's only for items you purchase out of state and bring back to MA after you live here.
Thanks for the clarification. We have a couple of firearms in a safe at our Alabama home. We brought a few with us to MA and keep them in a safe in our MA home. That way, we do not have to worry about travelling with firearms anymore. Still do not like the idea of registration. Only a matter of time before such data is going to be used against us. Just like not telling doctors about firearms ownership. The less people (especially bureaucrats!) know about you, the better off you are.

• Use this option if 1) you are a Massachusetts resident and you obtained a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun from out of state 2) you recently moved to Massachusetts and you WISH to record ownership of a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun or 3) you possess a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun and there is no record of the weapon on file with the Firearms Records Bureau.

According to this if don't WISH that's ok too.

might have to get a bill Clinton lawyer type to argue the definition of wish.

• Use this option if 1) you are a Massachusetts resident and you obtained a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun from out of state 2) you recently moved to Massachusetts and you WISH to record ownership of a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun or 3) you possess a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun and there is no record of the weapon on file with the Firearms Records Bureau.

According to this if don't WISH that's ok too.

might have to get a bill Clinton lawyer type to argue the definition of wish.

Yep. Only option 1 there is required by law. The other two would be nice for the state to know, but isn't required by law.

Pretty sure that if you possessed the guns in MA before you had an MA license, you're a felon.

No thanks! Definitely going to pass on that. Registration leads to confiscation, especially with Healey being so out of control.
No argument there. We're just telling you what the law is - whether you follow it or not is beyond our control.

Pretty sure that if you possessed the guns in MA before you had an MA license, you're a felon.

No argument there. We're just telling you what the law is - whether you follow it or not is beyond our control.

OK if he moved in with them OR had been absent from MA for 180 days straight (considered a new resident under those circumstances as called out in the law).

I for one try to give the best legal info (IANAL) possible but don't care what people do with it as long as they don't tell unsuspecting people to do things that are illegal. As long as you are informed, you should be free to do as you please since you recognize the risk (if any) for your actions and thus are willing to accept them.

i am a florida resedent. did live in mass. i help in a store in florida. even as a snowbird, if you pass the background you may buy a long gun here. how you get it back to mass. and tell them is up to you. but, yes it is legal to buy a long gun here. ( florida ))

Back
Top Bottom