• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can I bring my pistol to a NH range?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, you can not. You can travel thru the state with it locked away, unloaded (MA rules).. But once you've stopped in NH you can not carry the gun out of your car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luke is less than correct. You can open carry freely without a permit, but not in a motor vehicle. In a vehicle, it must be unloaded. You can transport unloaded without worrying

Open carry is legal in NH without any license of any kind as long as you're not a prohibited person and you're not carrying in your car sans NH license.

You can also take your pistol to an NH range without any worry, just unload it and throw it in your trunk before you cross into NH.

No, you can not. You can travel thru the state with it locked away, unloaded (MA rules).. But once you've stopped in NH you can not carry the gun out of your car.

You are completely wrong.

You only need a non-res license in NH to carry concealed or in the car (loaded).

Last edited:

Wow. Wrong.

NH like most other states does not require a license to simply possess, only to carry a gun concealed. So he is perfectly fine bringing it to NH to shoot without a NH pistol license as long as he doesn't carry it concealed.

Incorrect. Mass rules have no legal bearing in NH.

NH doesn't require any permit to own or possess a firearm of any kind resident or not doesn't matter.

If you don't have a NH non resident pistol permit, you cannot have a loaded handgun in a car or carry one concealed, but an unloaded weapon in a vehicle or open carry of an unloaded handgun (outside a vehicle) is perfectly legal.

Am I missing something?

-Ok to carry concealed with a NH non-res.

-Ok to carry openly or concealed and unloaded without a non-res.

-Inside a vehicle with a permit is ok, no permit needs to be unloaded while in a vehicle.

NH doesnt care about your LTC.

eta- Ahh finally some sanity. After the first few responses I was like WTF?

Last edited:
Am I missing something?

-Ok to carry concealed with a NH non-res.

-Ok to carry openly or concealed and unloaded without a non-res.

-Inside a vehicle with a permit is ok, no permit needs to be unloaded while in a vehicle.

NH doesnt care about your LTC.

eta- Ahh finally some sanity. After the first few responses I was like WTF?

Looks right to me.

OP, just as a general rule, no state has reciprocity with Mass. None. The only time you won't need some other form of carry permit (Utah non-res, RI non-res, CT non-res) is if you go to a true Constitutional Carry state like Vermont (aka Vermont Carry). Maine, you need a permit to carry in a state park.

OP, just as a general rule, no state has reciprocity with Mass. None. The only time you won't need some other form of carry permit (Utah non-res, RI non-res, CT non-res) is if you go to a true Constitutional Carry state like Vermont (aka Vermont Carry). Maine, you need a permit to carry in a state park.

If I'm not mistaken, MA LTC is honored by a fair # of states, but the reverse is not true (MA does not recognize any out-of-state licenses).

according to usacarry.com, MA LTC is "honored" by the following states...or more appropriately stated would be anyone in MA who holds an LTC can also carry in the following states:

Permit(s) Honored In:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Wisconsin

You are completely wrong.

You only need a non-res license in NH to carry concealed or in the car (loaded).

Just to be clear is that loaded while concealing or "under direct control"

I was told while up there as a non resident with a non resident permit I could NOT open carry a loaded handgun only concealed?....I don't know I have my permit and I carry concealed. It's funny how often you can't get the correct answers.

If I'm not mistaken, MA LTC is honored by a fair # of states, but the reverse is not true (MA does not recognize any out-of-state licenses).

according to usacarry.com, MA LTC is honored by the following states:

Permit(s) Honored In:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Wisconsin

A good number of those states are Constitutional Carry - no one needs a permit in VT, KS, MS, AK and I believe AR. How does Mass reciprocate with itself? [laugh]

Some states will honor most other states' permits, like you said, but none that the OP will be one state away from except for Vermont.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to be clear is that loaded while concealing or "under direct control"

I was told while up there as a non resident with a non resident permit I could NOT open carry a loaded handgun only concealed?....I don't know I have my permit and I carry concealed. It's funny how often you can't get the correct answers.

Non res with a non-res permit = do anything lawful.
Non res without a non-res permit = open carry outside of a car or locked and unloaded.

according to usacarry.com, MA LTC is "honored" by the following states...or more appropriately stated would be anyone in MA who holds an LTC can also carry in the following states:

Permit(s) Honored In:

You have to be a little careful with this if you have a MA restricted LTC. My daughter, who goes to school in Missouri has a target and hunting restricted LTC from Boston. When I contacted the Missouri Attorney General's office, they said Missouri would have to hold her to those restrictions and she could not carry.

Print this, fold it up and stick it in your wallet.

It is the only license you need...

937c36729328e54682d7e958d6628307.jpg

Nope. Reciprocity means reciprocal. Meaning a two way street. Mass honors no other state's carry permit.
So what was the point of you writing the second half of your post? It's still incorrect:

"The only time you won't need some other form of carry permit (Utah non-res, RI non-res, CT non-res) is if you go to a true Constitutional Carry state"

So what was the point of you writing the second half of your post? It's still incorrect:

"The only time you won't need some other form of carry permit (Utah non-res, RI non-res, CT non-res) is if you go to a true Constitutional Carry state"

That's assuming he's traveling in New England and not flying out to say Missouri. I said that in another post. I doubt the guy is going to go to the range some random day in a state that will honor his Mass permit unless he's on a trip.

You have to be a little careful with this if you have a MA restricted LTC. My daughter, who goes to school in Missouri has a target and hunting restricted LTC from Boston. When I contacted the Missouri Attorney General's office, they said Missouri would have to hold her to those restrictions and she could not carry.

all of this is legal no-man's-land. do you really expect someone in missouri to understand and interpret the ridiculous "restriction" placed on a CCW across the country in massachusetts? they do not know. they gave you the safest answer they could give. would you expect the AG's office in MO to say "no your daughter has carte blanche to carry here....we don't acknowledge restrictions from Boston". i wouldn't read into any of their answer. the lesson is don't ask people a question they cannot answer.

Nope. Reciprocity means reciprocal. Meaning a two way street. Mass honors no other state's carry permit.

it's pretty simple. the point is that other states recognize MA LTC-A. as usual MA is too special to recognize anyone else. the definition of reciprocity can be whatever it is.

Last edited:
I think the OP's question has been answered. If you guys want to have reciprocity disco start a new thread in one of the law subforums.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom