Can hoppe's no 9 go bad?

jeepsrt8

NES Member
I have a bottle of hoppe's no 9 that is roughly four years old and noticed it is bright yellow similar to urine. Does hoppe's no 9 have an expiration date? Is it okay to continue to use it? Thanks for the help.

Are you sure you just didn't have one of those days roughly 4 years ago and an empty bottle of Hoppe's #9 was all you had laying around??

[smile]

But in all seriousness, I don't think it goes bad.

I had some that I literally hadn't touched for about 20 years, forgot it was there, and it actually got very dark and thickened (probably from evaporation). Never seen it get bright yellow though.

I'm still using a 32 oz bottle of Hoppes #9 that I bought almost 40 years ago. Works great and smells the same as back then.

Of course today's formula is PC and thus I have no idea if it turns to piss after a few years!

I have a few bottles that are ~ 3-1/2 years old. It's starting to get that yellow color, but it seems to work well (and still gives of that distinctive Hoppes smell). I'd keep using it if it still smells good, once it turns solid (or solids show up in it), it's time for a new bottle.

New #9 doesn't smell like old#9......at least to me. Also the old stuff did clean better like lens I'm still useing my dads "big" bottle. I use new cleaners that don't stink as much mostly these days though.

Just last year I finished a bottle I had for over 20 years. Was surprised they went to plastic bottles when I got some more. Anyway, never noticed a color change and the stuff cleaned as good as new every time I used it.

StevensMarksman

Yes, Hoppe's can go bad, if your not too smart. For many years I would dunk my bore brush in my Hoppe's bottle when cleaning my guns. Each time I did this I would be mixing the crap I was removing from the bore with the cleaning solution. This will dilute your Hoppe's and make it go "bad". On the advice of more experienced and intelligent friends, I now either soak a patch in the cleaning solution and apply it to the bore or pour a small amount on the bore brush prior to scrubbing. This keeps the cleaning solution "clean".

Back
Top Bottom