• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can anyone tell me what this is worth?

GaryO

NES Member
It comes with some dies, 38-40. I want to get into reloading but need to know if I can afford the set up received_343274473523953.jpeg received_321050192545593.jpeg

Looks like a press for shot shell. I'd think .38-40 dies would be useless on that rig.
You should be able to find decent used single stage presses for under 75 and up.
If you really come up short, I have a massive Herters No 3 (I think that's what it is), but you'll need the shell holder adapter to take the more standard shell holders.

These come with it also, the guy selling it doesn't have a clue what it is and said a lgs said it would go for 450. He has some calipers with it. received_310888250240898.jpeg received_322987179039037.jpeg

That's an old pacific shotshell press
Have an earlier one (that one looks to have the auto advance)

If you aren't a seasoned reloader I would pass on this as it is not what you would want to start off on.
If you want to start reloading you could start with a single stage press and go slow and careful. Then ramp it up to a Dillon progressive press or Lee or whatever.

That black cupped item to the right looks like a place where shotgun wads go, so I’d agree it’s for shotguns. I also agree that if you’re new to reloading, that’s not the machine you want to start with. Get yourself a single stage press to start with and progress from there.

Also, if the seller is giving you dies for rifles/pistols without knowing what kind of press s/he’s selling, then I’d be leery of purchasing anything from that person. Just my $0.02.

That black cupped item to the right looks like a place where shotgun wads go, so I’d agree it’s for shotguns. I also agree that if you’re new to reloading, that’s not the machine you want to start with. Get yourself a single stage press to start with and progress from there.

Also, if the seller is giving you dies for rifles/pistols without knowing what kind of press s/he’s selling, then I’d be leery of purchasing anything from that person. Just my $0.02.
That's why I decided to check with you guys before I picked it up. I want simple.

That's why I decided to check with you guys before I picked it up. I want simple.

You don't have to go brandy-new, plenty of used stuff out there.
Just be careful that whoevers selling used isn't asking for new, or more than new prices.
Single stage is about as simple as it gets. And short money too.

Once you start looking around, you can always compare prices to this-
Or about a dozen or so other websites.

I wish you good luck in your search.

The "Lee Loader" is probably the most basic of reloading systems. it works, but you will find it rather tedious and somewhat limited. I can't tell what caliber that is. You need a "Lee Loader" for every caliber, whereas you only need a die set for each caliber with one press.
Here's Mr. Lee reloading a .223 Remington in 47 seconds:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeEl9wZyabc

2 Sep 2020: Speaking of which, M&B Sports has a .30-30 Winchester Lee Loader ($15) as well as a .38 Special LL.

Last edited:
You don't have to go brandy-new, plenty of used stuff out there.
Just be careful that whoevers selling used isn't asking for new, or more than new prices.
Single stage is about as simple as it gets. And short money too.

Once you start looking around, you can always compare prices to this-
Or about a dozen or so other websites.

I wish you good luck in your search.
Once I find time I am going to take Jim's course in Littleton but I would like to hit the ground running after I take the course.

Press is a pacific/hornady 336
The new production hornady runs $800 or so.
The lee loader is a shotshell loader also. These depending on cal/gauge can get some good money to the right person. The die set?
Thats the kind of stuff you post on the club wall for a bit. Especially where a lot of trap/skeet is shot.
Scan ebay.
The sub gauge loaders bring more money

is jim still offering classes where you leave with equipment?
i try to buy anything reloading right around xmass like dec 23 can get some deals.
If it was not for used stuff i sould not have much stuff.

Press is a pacific/hornady 336
The new production hornady runs $800 or so.
The lee loader is a shotshell loader also. These depending on cal/gauge can get some good money to the right person. The die set?
Thats the kind of stuff you post on the club wall for a bit. Especially where a lot of trap/skeet is shot.
Scan ebay.
The sub gauge loaders bring more money

is jim still offering classes where you leave with equipment?
i try to buy anything reloading right around xmass like dec 23 can get some deals.
It was the persons father in laws equipment and he knew nothing about it. I told him that I would pass on it and he said that it was at a loss for awhile with no takers.

If you aren't a seasoned reloader I would pass on this as it is not what you would want to start off on.
If you want to start reloading you could start with a single stage press and go slow and careful. Then ramp it up to a Dillon progressive press or Lee or whatever.
i like the ease of single stage and im never in a rush to make ammo.
Theres no reason to buy a single stage first. You can load one shell at a time with a progressive or even just run through one step at a time.
i think it depends on your budget and skill set.
im mechanical and have tools and like to tinker anyway .
Everytime i have went to buy a progressive press other than my lee pro1000. i end up spending $500 on bullets/primers/powder

It was the persons father in laws equipment and he knew nothing about it. I told him that I would pass on it and he said that it was at a loss for awhile with no takers.
if times where normal i would say visit a club with sunday breakfast and see if any takers or bring it to a club shooting trap and ask around.
Ebay it , just be sure to get the shipping right. That press is heavy.
If hes near holbrook ma or the minuteman shotgun club he could probably unload it.

Once I find time I am going to take Jim's course in Littleton but I would like to hit the ground running after I take the course.

There might be some manuals you can download in the .....................Manuals and Downloads section. Couple of stickies at the top of this one too.
It'll give you a jump start before you take the class.

Not sure where your digs are but I am just east of the conn river on rte 2. I have a rockchuker press you can have for the outragous price of FREE........... Stash
I might take you up on that, I just need to find some time to head out there. I'm about 45 minutes from Leominster

I might take you up on that, I just need to find some time to head out there. I'm about 45 minutes from Leominster
Make the time

What caliber are you looking to load?
A set of Lee dies will set you back. $30
Scale: Amazon product ASIN B0012TDNAMView: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0012TDNAM/
Not sure why the price is so high - it shows as $21 for me

Calipers from HF (often on sale for $10)
Amazon product ASIN B07D32SN1QView: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07D32SN1Q/

If the rock chucker doesn't have the primer arm (can't expect it for Free)

Powder seems available but primers are going to be tough to find.
Bullets - real easy; especially if you take mike's casting seminar

If you need is handgun ammo and not "weigh each individual case" style prevision rifle loading, it's find to start with a progressive.

While there is some logic to the above advice, it's like telling a new shooter to learn on a .22.

I agree that someone new to reloading should stick with a current mainstream press ask parts, service and advise are more readily available.

I'd be interested, but kit is missing a crucial part: The Adjustable Shot Measure...
These go around $50 bucks because they made quite a few in 12 ga 2 3/4
1600223263007.png

The real pricey ones are the 10 gauge and the .410 bore...

Last edited:
Absolutely! But... Plastic.

Still very useable...
1600257709334.png 1600257869813.png

Last edited:

Do take Jim's course. He's forgotten more about reloading that I've ever known.

I made so many mistakes learning to reload. Sometimes that's just how I learn best. Even now I have not reloaded in a while and it will take time to get the routine back.

It's not hard at all. But requires focus and attention to detail.

:)

Buy any press you want, as long as it is blue. If you are only going to load handgun calibers (Sub 500 Mag) then a Dillon SDB cannot be beat. You can start by doing one case at a time until you are comfortable with the process.

Back
Top Bottom