Can anyone recommend a reputable place to sell some jewelry?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Just as the title states, I am looking for a place around metrowest to sell some watches, wedding bands and a chain. I was hoping some one might know where I can get a fair deal. Thanks in advance for any help.

RHJJ

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just as the title states, I am looking for a place around metrowest to sell some watches, wedding bands and a chain. I was hoping some one might know where I can get a fair deal. Thanks in advance for any help.
Pawn Stars

ddp335

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
There's a good place in canton by the commuter rail station. Precious metals reclaiming. Good and fair on prices there.

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
gold rings and chain? anyplace would just give you scrap value unless it was something special and unique. i had sold some high end watches at longs a couple of years ago. they buy them for resale. you have to know what they are worth and what you want/need to get before you sit down with them. my experience was much like a pawn stars episode, they'll low ball you then pick your item to pieces. i stood firm and got my price but it was an hour ordeal. in the end, i started to pack up to leave. that's when the buyer agreed to my price. which incidentally, wasn't out of line.

EMTDAD

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
following this thread.. now that the new string trimmer sucked my $$$ for the Shield.. thinking of ways to make that $200 up. I'd be interested in locations closer to Attleboro area. Thanks

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Most places will give you scrap value. Cameo Shop used to in Norton, but Arthur's semi-retired now. Appointment only.

Back about 15 years or so ago, some woman in the church I was going to was trying to get us to do a fundraiser. Some guy shows up, you turn in your old jewelry and he'd give half-spot to the church.

It took 3x to get her to understand. In the end, I don't think she understood, she just wanted me to stop blocking her spectacular idea. LOL

"Amanda. Let me get this straight. You get nothing. The church gets 1/2 of spot and he keeps 1/2 of spot. Right?"

"Yeah. But the church gets all this money for the mission trip."

"But we could go RIGHT DOWN THE STREET and cash it in for 100% of spot - you could split it between the giver and the mission trip. Everyone would win."

"Yeahbut. This guy. He comes to the church. And gives you cash right there."

"And I can make this work AND we keep 100% of the money."

It went round and round like that for 5 min. LOL

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
"But we could go RIGHT DOWN THE STREET and cash it in for 100% of spot - you could split it between the giver and the mission trip. Everyone would win."
Really? You know of a place that will give 100% of spot for gold alloy jewelry? I would think there has to be some discount for the gold being in 14k or 18k form and not in a standard bullion unit (ingot, legal currency coin, round, etc.). The best I've seen gold places offer is 50% of spot. (I'm not talking about exchanges where you sell "clean" bullion like Pamp ingots, Eagles, etc. but "scrap gold" places).

tuna

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Really? You know of a place that will give 100% of spot for gold alloy jewelry? I would think there has to be some discount for the gold being in 14k or 18k form and not in a standard bullion unit (ingot, legal currency coin, round, etc.). The best I've seen gold places offer is 50% of spot. (I'm not talking about exchanges where you sell "clean" bullion like Pamp ingots, Eagles, etc. but "scrap gold" places).
I think he means you get 100% of what you're going to get, give half to the church and take half to the gun store. Instead of the guy getting the gun store's share.

OP - I don't know too much about jewlery, do you mind if I call a buddy of mine who does? (can't believe it hasn't been said yet)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gold rings and chain? anyplace would just give you scrap value unless it was something special and unique.

100% correct.
It is amazing how many people think they can get other than "scrap value" for jewelry. Diamonds can be even worse!

I was on the deacon board of a church when someone gave us a ring that they paid over $5,000 for.
We took it to numerous places and were amazed at how little we were offered.
If I remember correctly it was between $50 and $250.

It took us over nine months, with hours of discussion during meetings, and many trips to getting it appraised before we were sure we were not getting ripped off.

Finally someone in the church was willing to give us $1,000 for it.
If someone wants to donate something like that again, I'll suggest that they do the leg work and just give us the money.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The metal detecting guys sell their finds to these 2 mostly. ARA seems to be the current favorite.

http://www.midwestrefineries.com/

[h=1]What we pay for Gold[/h] Smelters and refiners that claim to pay 98% or 99% for your precious metals, also charge refining fees, assay fees, treatment charges, brokering fees, inbound troy ounce weight fees, handling fees and other fees. Nobody can operate a business on 1% or 2%.
Midwest Refineries has NO fees or charges period!​
Midwest Refineries pays 95% of the amount of pure gold contained in your order.
Gold orders under 3 troy ounces are purchased outright, based on average after melt weight loss and karat purity.

https://www.aragold.com/schedule.html

[h=4]Karat Melt & Shoot (Per Toz Fine Contained)[/h]
  • Mail - Same Day Turn-Around if Received by 2:00 PM (CST)
  • Walk In - < 1 HR. Turn - Around
  • 1-9.99 Toz- 98%
  • 10-19.99 Toz - 98.5%
  • 20-49.99 Toz - 99%
  • 50+ (Call For Rates)

Billsail

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
My wife placed a large amount of jewelry on consignment with a local jeweler. I believe the fee was 30%. We called around and most others wanted 40%-50% and were very selective about which pieces they wanted. But these were higher end stores, so they likely would sell your stuff for a higher price. Some of the pieces sold immediately, and a few still remain unsold after a year. Sales were spread out over the period. The latest, about a month ago. You will get very little trying to sell to a store directly. If any of it is scrap, you will get spot, but a gram of 14k is 58.3% pure, so you will get 58.3% of spot. 18k is 75% pure.

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98.4%
63   1   0
There's a good place in canton by the commuter rail station. Precious metals reclaiming. Good and fair on prices there.
I've never done business with him, but Larry Nyborn (owner) was a member of Neponset Valley CofC back when I was also a member (doing computer work back then). Nice guy. Reviews are good but no idea what you get for your gold/silver from them.

mibro

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This. The retail jewelry biz is the biggest ripoff out there. If you must buy diamonds or gold jewelry, go to Costco.

100% correct.
It is amazing how many people think they can get other than "scrap value" for jewelry. Diamonds can be even worse!

I was on the deacon board of a church when someone gave us a ring that they paid over $5,000 for.
We took it to numerous places and were amazed at how little we were offered.
If I remember correctly it was between $50 and $250.

It took us over nine months, with hours of discussion during meetings, and many trips to getting it appraised before we were sure we were not getting ripped off.

Finally someone in the church was willing to give us $1,000 for it.
If someone wants to donate something like that again, I'll suggest that they do the leg work and just give us the money.

MadatMarek

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nathan's Jewelry in downtown Milford Ma owner/operator great guy fair and honest as the day is long. Pm me if I can be helpful

EMTDAD

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The other option is to spend a morning down on Washington St in Boston and hit up the jewelers building. I don't have much so that might not be worth my time.. I'd definitely do that with an estate collection though.

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If any of it is scrap, you will get spot, but a gram of 14k is 58.3% pure, so you will get 58.3% of spot. 18k is 75% pure.
Name one store that pays "spot" for gold that is not in a tradeable bullion form. It doesn't happen. They all have a scrap gold price er oz that is considerably below spot - which is why everyone was suddenly in the gold buying business.

The retail jewelry biz is the biggest ripoff out there. If you must buy diamonds or gold jewelry, go to Costco.
Use Bluenile.com as a price reference. If you buy high end ($10K and up) you should be able to resell for at least 40% of your cost. And, read up on what "keystone" means.

MisterHappy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
I've done business with Sheldon's, as a buyer, but I would shop it around - trust but verify. There is another store, 9 West Jeweler's, 300 yards from Sheldon's .

Remember, they're buying to re-sell, and what they're going to be selling is used goods.

Good luck

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Remember, they're buying to re-sell, and what they're going to be selling is used goods.
Or to melt and refine. Remember, gold is worth spot after the cost of profit margin, melting, refinement, assay, and casting into a marketable form (at which point it is no longer "used gold").

Top Bottom