• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can anyone recommend a gunsmith???

I just got a Colt 1911, and I need to have some work done on it. The trigger weighs a ton, and it’s ejecting the cartridges back at me (certainly isn’t helping my flinching problem). I also wanted to get some input on other things I might need to have done to it. Can anyone recommend a trustworthy gunsmith who’ll give it to me straight about what I do and don’t need to get done, and does good work? Thanks!

Get an Ed Brown hammer and sear from Brownells. While you're at it replace ALL of the springs. The ejector can be easily replaced with a sllightly longer one, but you have to know where to stop because the longest ejectors might not allow a loaded round to be ejected.
This is all fairly simple DIY stuff.
Get Jerry Kuhnhausen's book and spend a couple of evenings reading. You will learn a lot about the gun in the process of tuning it.
There are a few procedures that require special tools and experience, but you can do a lot with a few simple hand tools, some knowledge, and the book to guide you.

Try Lewis arms in Bow,NH. Had work done on both pistol and rifle and he did a very nice job. Cylinder and Slide did an action job on my Beretta 96 and it was a vast improvement over stock had to wait a bit for them to be able to do the job.
They sent for the pistol when ready to work on it took about a month IIRC

Greg Derr is a helluva gunsmith and has represented our country at the Olympics in pistol competition. His phone number at his shop in Marshfield is (781) 834-3225, and his email address is [email protected]. You can also reach him by PM on this site. His screen name is Greg Derr.

Greg has done trigger jobs and other work on several of my 1911s and a number of my revolvers. I've been very impressed with the quality of his work and the speed of his delivery.

When you contact him, feel free to mention my name.

Darius Arbabi

Back
Top Bottom