• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith?

MG2112

NES Member
Greetings all

I have a Colt 45 that will not fire. A round gets chambered. Hammer drops. No bang.
I have taken it apart and cleaned it. I remove the magazine, open the slide, and
insert a round. I close the slide and fire. Hammer drops - no bang. I tried
a couple diffent boxes of ammo and magazines.

I have a kimber .22 conversion kit and it fires .22's fine. This is a older colt
given to me by my father. Some sentimental value here.

Can anyone recommend good gunsmith?

Hows the firing pin look? Hows the firing pin spring? Where is the firing pin hitting the rounds - is it hitting at all? Hows the mainspring? The hammer strut? What series is the Colt - 70 or 80? Does it have the firing pin safety system? Is there something going on with the firing pin safety parts. Does the slide lock into battery and the firing pin safety plunger depressed? Wit the 80 series, theres a whole additional set of linkages that have to work for it to go BANG. Detail strip again, and check the function of all the parts - paying attention to the firing pin safety system. my 2 cents. good luck.

Does it leave a dent on the primer? If not, there is probably an incorrect assembly of the Series 80 parts.

I picked up a couple of hitchhikers I met on the plane and dropped them off at a Vegas hotel last night, so I can say with certainty Greg won't be available until after he gets back from the Shot Show.

Last edited:
I'll be back to the shop Monday. In the meantime I'm looking for all the new gizmos to keep you guys up and gunning. Nice to meet Rob and a few other NES members on the plane out. Greg

if the pin is hitting the primer and not going bang, could be the mainspring - get a heavier one? try adjusting the firing pin spring, that may be too heavy - but thats a long shot. Or an obstruction in the firing pin housing - dirt and grim can be gumming up the works.

+1 for Derr

MG, how did you come across this malfuctioning gun? Did the gun just stop working one day, or did you acquire it in this condition.

I'd definitely take a stab at detail stripping the slide, check the condition of the firing pin and firing pin spring, and giving everything a good cleaning. If that doesn't work, then try the gunsmith.

Back
Top Bottom