Can anyone confirm this?

Scrivener

Banned
I recently heard that the PD of a town in the Middleboro area were placing a cruiser in front of a small bait, tackle and gun shop, and that a cop was stopping everyone going in and demanding they produce a gun license.

Anyone seen or heard anything to this effect?

I recently heard that the PD of a town in the Middleboro area were placing a cruiser in front of a small bait, tackle and gun shop, and that a cop was stopping everyone going in and demanding they produce a gun license.

Oh PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE be true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is this a daily thing, or something they are doing today? I would take the drive down to check it out tomorrow or this weekend...

The bait shop that I know of in Middleboro is Tom's bait shop, and it's somewhat in close proximity to Middleboro gun shop, well maybe not too close. It's sort of down the road. But I haven't heard anything about this story.

The bait shop that I know of in Middleboro is Tom's bait shop, and it's somewhat in close proximity to Middleboro gun shop, well maybe not too close. It's sort of down the road. But I haven't heard anything about this story.

If I'm reading between the lines correctly, the shop he's referring to is in a town NEAR Middleboro and has a name that sounds a bit like this site's.

I was under the impression that an officer could ask for your LTC depending on the circumstance. There was a thread on here no so long ago about a MSP trooper asking a person for their license while both where inside a gun shop. I'm not sure my memory is failing me here.

If you want to PM me some details I'll make it a point to drive over.

If you want to PM me some details I'll make it a point to drive over.

same here. Im off today and I have only a doctors appointment today, so I would drive by and check it out.

The question is, if I decide to go in (I need ammo), and the cop asks me for an LTC to be produced when going in, what does one say? "I dont need to produce it for you?"

Everytime I go near a gun shop now, I tend to buy ammunition at the very least.

I'm in Middleboro and have heard nothing.

As far as I know there's only one Bait and Tackle shop in town and one gun shop and they are 5 miles apart on Rte 28.

If it's only NEAR Middleboro, what's the problem with telling us where?

(I agree, this should be in the MA law section)

Yep, you have to show it if an LEO asks to see it.

from c140 s129c:

"Any person who, while not being within the limits of his own property or residence, or such person whose property or residence is under lawful search, and who is not exempt under this section, shall on demand of a police officer or other law enforcement officer, exhibit his license to carry firearms, or his firearm identification card or receipt for fee paid for such card"

Thread

But what if you're not carrying?

The situation proposed is an unarmed individual walking into a shop that sells both firearms AND non-firearm sporting goods being asked to produce a license BEFORE entering the shop. I could be going in there to by nightcrawlers.

But what if you're not carrying?

The situation proposed is an unarmed individual walking into a shop that sells both firearms AND non-firearm sporting goods being asked to produce a license BEFORE entering the shop. I could be going in there to by nightcrawlers.

and that is exactly how I would go. Hell, i will even say I have one but am not carrying and am planning on buying ear protection.

If you confirm it's true, I might be willing to go there with my NH plates and drivers license without a MA LTC....

and that is exactly how I would go. Hell, i will even say I have one but am not carrying and am planning on buying ear protection.

Why should you even be required to tell him anything? You haven't DONE anything yet, you're merely walking into a store.

That's certainly the MA law. The obvious question though is if this blanket requesting of a license behavior is against the fourth amendment.

IF I read that correctly - and I'm no lawyer - it only requires you produce your license if you've a gun or ammo with you/on you/in your possession.

IF I read that correctly - and I'm no lawyer - it only requires you produce your license if you've a gun or ammo with you/on you/in your possession.

It's actually a very confusing paragraph. The first sentence makes no mention of any gun, but just says you are required to produce your license when asked for it. Then the second sentence references "said firearm, rife or shotgun". But this is a reference to a "said" gun that wasn't ever "said" in the text proceeding the reference. So sloppy writing makes the law entirely unclear.

So sloppy writing makes the law entirely unclear.

The basis for every written law in MA. Confuse the hell out of them either way so they dont do it or fear doing it, or think they can do it....or can they do it?...wait who said that you could do it?....[smile]

Back
Top Bottom