Can any shop cerakote a gun frame?

Or do I have to take it to an ffl? I have a 642 that I stripped down metal and polished it. It looks OK but I'd like it to have more of a clean look. I'm thinking white. Hoping I can take it anywhere.

Also, is there someplace in or near Easton/Brockton that can do it? Thanks.

Or do I have to take it to an ffl? I have a 642 that I stripped down metal and polished it. It looks OK but I'd like it to have more of a clean look. I'm thinking white. Hoping I can take it anywhere.

I would guess whoever handles the frame when you're not in possession of it would need a LTC..
The frame is the registered part of the firearm on that gun.

From ATF website:
So I think they used to require an 07 but then ruled that an 01 could do it as well if only cosmetic. But still FFL.
InRevenueRuling55-342,ATF's predecessoragencyinterpretedthemeaningoftheterms "manufacturer" and "dealer" for the purpose of firearms licensing under the Federal FirearmsAct,theprecursorstatutetotheGCA. Itwasdeterminedthatalicenseddealer could assemblefirearms from componentparts on an individual basis, but could not engagein the businessof assemblingfirearms from componentparts in quantity lots for purposesof sale or distribution without a manufacturer's license. Since then, ATF has similarly and consistently interpreted the term "manufacturer" under the GCA to mean any personwho engagesin the businessof making firearms, by casting, assembly,alteration, or otherwise, for the purpose of sale or distribution.
Performing a cosmetic process or activity, such as camouflaging, that primarily adds to or changesthe appearanceor decoration of a firearm is not manufacturing. Unlike manufacturing processesthat primarily enhancea firearm's durability, camouflaging is primarily cosmetic. Likewise, external engravings are cosmetic in nature and primarily affect only the appearanceof a firearm.
Held, any personwho engagesin an activity or processthat primarily addsto or changesa firearm's appearanceby camouflaging the firearm by painting, dipping, or applying tape does not need to be licensed as a manufacturer under the Gun Control Act.
Heldfurther, any personwho engagesin an activity or processthat primarily addsto or changesa firearm's appearanceby engraving the external surface of the firearm does not need to be licensed as a manufacturer under the Gun Control Act.
Heldfurther, anypersonwhoislicensedasadealer,whichincludesagunsmith,and who camouflagesor engravesfireanns asdescribed in this ruling does not needto be licensed as a manufacturer under the Gun Control Act.
Heldfurther, anypersonwhoisengagedinthebusinessofcamouflagingor

The reason I asked is because I couldn't find anybody nearby last time I looked. Lots of paint/powder shops. If somebody knows where to do it near easton I'd appreciate it.

duracoat it yourself for cheap. it's small enough, they have a 2 part finish in a spray can. I think its 30-40 a can maybe.
I've heard it works good and comes out pretty good, but my sample size = 1

Is cerakote so unique that there aren't many people who do it? I was hoping to hand it to someone nearby rather than put shipping money into a 642. It's a Talo special edition but it's still a 642. I'll never get the money back but at least it will look decent. Can't find anyone within 20 miles or so.

Edit. I just went to the cerakote website and got nothing for my zip code.

You wasted all that time polishing it.

Useless post. There's always one of you which is why I rarely post here anymore. You have no idea why I stripped it or how long it took.

Last edited:
Useless post. There's always one of you which is why I rarely post here anymore. You have no idea why I stripped it or how long it took.
They are going to bead blast it before coating it.

Maybe you should have posted before and after pics, what you did , how you did it and why?
You can bring it anywhere you want.

Why not just do it yourself
M14forums is a good place for perfect posting

Last edited:
So enlighten the group. Why polish if getting cerakote? Whoever does the coating will end up having to blast a nice etch over all the polished surfaces in order to get good coating adhesion.

Not a useless post if it saves someone from wasting time and effort. We've all mistakenly done things we didn't need to do. Personally I'd prefer to learn from others and avoid such mistakes if possible.

Last edited:

Greg derr Marshfield
He did a CZ82 for me years ago
Still holding up

OP please up date if you find someone local and give a update
Before and after pics would be great.

Not near Easton/Brockton--- Krazy Kustoms in Wilmington did a nice job on a bunch of 80% lowers. Other form members here have said that he has worked on their stripped low receivers.

Back
Top Bottom