Can anone recommend a pop-up tent

I was about to buy a pop up tent a few months ago, for use on long road trips. the kind where you find a free dispersed camping spot along some overlanding trail, need a place to catch some Z's, open the back and just throw it onto the ground and its ready to sleep in.

but i read the reviews, and the quality was poor. Zippers that did not work right out of the box, etc.

does anyone own a pop up that they like the quality of? if so, who made it!

i have plenty of regular hiking tents, but they are kind of a PIA to set up and take down every time

Coleman might be the answer. Literally just throw it on the ground and it pops open to form a tent.

71jsgd7+8FL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Amazon product ASIN B00FGPY9CEView: https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000014781-2-Person-Pop-Up-Tent/dp/B00FGPY9CE/ref=sr_1_2?crid=7V96GPV42AG2&keywords=B00FGPY9CE&qid=1682905919&sprefix=b00fgpy9ce%2Caps%2C116&sr=8-2

that was exactly what i was going to buy, but i read the reviews and there is something wrong with the zipper they use.

maybe i am overthinking this, and just need to wax the zipper periodically

I have more expensive tents that are waterproof that really aren't that hard to set up. I have a north face tent and it has 2 poles that are the same size, you connect them in an x and then clip to the tent's mosquito net, and a canopy goes over that and staked into the ground. Canopy has 1 red strap that lines up with a red stripe on the footprint so you can set it up right the first try even in heavy wind. Piece of tyvek underneath to protect the tent. 10 mins to set up.

You can't go wrong with an Eureka anything - cheapo tents in April weather like 2 weeks ago are sub-optimal

what i SHOULD do it pull out all the tents i have, throw away any so old that they are probably no longer waterproof, and see what is there.

i DO have a big car camping tent that is heavy as hell. want to see realistically how much room it takes up and how quickly i can put it up/take it down.

Why not just sleep in your car?
i am too tall. And when we go off on a 1 month road trip, there is not much room inside anyway. I do have a platform in the back of the SUV, and we could try that, but would need an elaborate roof rack to carry all our stuff up there then. I would need to remove the 2nd row seats to really have enough room to stretch out while sleeping, and that is a real PIA putting them back in when not roadtripping

just saw this:

1684301170785.png

Looks like a big step up in quality over a coleman tent, but still a "pop up"

Last edited:
i cheaped out an bought the coleman for 100 bucks. the gazelle, once you added the removable floor, was going to be 450 bucks. I am sure it is better than the coleman, but 4.5 times better?

i will report back on how well it works

i cheaped out an bought the coleman for 100 bucks. the gazelle, once you added the removable floor, was going to be 450 bucks. I am sure it is better than the coleman, but 4.5 times better?

i will report back on how well it works
For anyone looking at spending $450 ... if you are going to drop that much, look at ultra light tents, so they double as backpacking tents.

Double Rainbow from Tarptent is a great tent. I own one I have take on multi day hiking trips.

If you will be driving, weight is not an issue.

We have had two "pop up" camper trailers. Never again!! They are mice magnets. They chew through the canvas and foam bed pads. We have done everything possible to keep mice out, no luck.

For anyone looking at spending $450 ... if you are going to drop that much, look at ultra light tents, so they double as backpacking tents.

Double Rainbow from Tarptent is a great tent. I own one I have take on multi day hiking trips.

I just got my Double Rainbow yesterday!

From the last trip 1.5 weeks ago.

The Double Rainbow Tarptent my buddy was using and my Superior Gear Hammock with Kuhli tarp (rained that night, kept me dry) + gear hammock.

20230618_164236.jpg

20230618_164226.jpg

20230618_164232.jpg

I just got my Double Rainbow yesterday!
Nice!

I was reading, looks like they made some improvements to the new ones. Mine is 3 or 4 years old.

Practice on how to use the stand alone set up with trekking poles. I like it to quickly set up the tent. In the case you have no place to tie the ropes it can truly be stand alone (I used it like that in a cave). The ground was like some soft ash so I couldn't get the ropes to hold.

i actually got a 4 person gazelle, it was highly rated. but....when it arrived it was so frigin long (and awkward to carry), it would not fit in the back of my suv (a requirement). So now i would have to lash it to the roof rack instead, making it less "user friendly" than i was hoping for a simple pop-up tent.

wife and i decided to send it back.

i am going to have to go to stores and actually try them out, and see the folded up sizing to do this properly

i actually got a 4 person gazelle, it was highly rated. but....when it arrived it was so frigin long (and awkward to carry), it would not fit in the back of my suv (a requirement). So now i would have to lash it to the roof rack instead, making it less "user friendly" than i was hoping for a simple pop-up tent.

wife and i decided to send it back.

i am going to have to go to stores and actually try them out, and see the folded up sizing to do this properly

Why do you want 1 tent for 4 instead of 2 or 3 tents? ... for the kids?

Anyway, ... sleeps 4, weights 1lbs.

Back
Top Bottom