• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can an employer tell you that you can’t bring a firearm to work?

I don't know, I've carried in schools, hospitals, PO's, police stations, and plenty of other places that prohibit firearms, including my work place. Concealed properly, no one knows. It's not rocket science. The only caveat, is metal detectors.
So other than the couple of felonies that you just admitted to, so have most of us LOL

Rights, guarantees and what we do, don't always line up in a neat row

Police stations, hospitals and "plenty of other places" are perfectly legal to carry in, by the way.

The thing I contemplate about is if someone says “screw it” and conceal carries anyway and there’s an active shooter event at the company. If the CCW person engages and neutralizes the threat will the company with the no weapons policy thank that individual or fire them for breaking policy. Or worse, both.

The thing I contemplate about is if someone says “screw it” and conceal carries anyway and there’s an active shooter event at the company. If the CCW person engages and neutralizes the threat will the company with the no weapons policy thank that individual or fire them for breaking policy. Or worse, both.
They would probably be canned. There's a clique on here that would stand up and cheer though. Ya know cuz private property rights are more important.

Interesting. I've never seen that product before, and I just bought one. I'll have them send you a finder's fee. [rofl]
I have one... if it fits your calf perfectly it’s great. If it doesn’t it slides down and the upper strap gets loose & will snag your gun on the draw. Also, a too small gun can get lost in it, drop down too low. Excellent concept if yiu can get the right fit.

Yeah and that's a problem. Maybe even a bigger one. The fact that you can be fired for stating your opinion is wrong.
There’s nothing wrong with that. If your opinion is that the boss’s wife is a slut, you will and should get fired. Again with the absolutist nonsense.

look at all the 7-11, Gas Station, and Convenience store employees who have engaged active threats and then immediately lost their jobs for violating policy. Despite actively saving lives, they broke the rules, put the company at risk, and that will not be tolerated.

Can an employer enforce this if you have ltc? Is there a way to overturn their policy?
Private property rights trump you LTC. Regardless of whether or not it's a legal place to carry, if its private property the property owner has the right to tell you to leave for any reason, if they don't want people on their property with a gun, then they can tell you to leave. This applies to work or anywhere else you go with a gun and someone finds out and they ask you to leave. It's that simple, kind of hard to be employed by a company after they've trespassed you or fired you for violating their policy. Concealed means concealed. Lot to be said for a p238 or a bodyguard .380 in a pocket at work where 2a isn't respected. J frame or a p365 or g26 on the ankle works good too. Keep your mouth shut about it at work too. One thing they can't do is tell you that you can't keep a gun properly locked up and stored in your car. I've carried at every job I've ever had since I was 21, never paid attention to "no weapons" policies I just carried appropriately and kept my mouth shut. Never had a problem.

I'm lucky enough where I work now I could carry a pistol grip shotgun or a desert eagle strong side at 4 o'clock IWB under a t shirt and still not have it be a problem.

Yeah and that's a problem. Maybe even a bigger one. The fact that you can be fired for stating your opinion is wrong.
No business owner is going to let an employee go on about their opinion when it goes against the message the company(the owner) wants to send to those customers. And there is no way they should have to let that happen. What you do in your private life is your business. What you do that affects your employer? Well, that can either be good for you or bad. But your employer does NOT have to keep you employed. You obviously have never owned a business, or been in a responsible management position or you would understand this.

Can an employer enforce this if you have ltc? Is there a way to overturn their policy?
LOL if you don't like it they will change your name to Aywillbe Fayed when they hand you the pink slip. It's no different than companies that ban tobacco users (like the scott fertilizer co etc).

If it means that much to you then work for an employer where you can carry. Or do it discreetly and don't get caught.

Businesses also have the right to hire who they want and establish rules as long as they're legal. The Bill of Rights protects individual freedoms from intrusion by the government, it does not force businesses to adopt them. The First Amendment right isn't protected in the workplace, you can't spout off at your boss and expect to keep your job because muh God given rights. And if your employer says you can't carry on the job, they can't stop you from carrying but they sure as hell are within their rights to fire you if you do it on the job.
You can also be fired for things you say outside of work. Almost every company will fire you for lack of wokeness - it's the degree of tolerance for deviation from correctspeak that varies between employers. Some tolerate a degree of debate, others do not. I work for a big company and I would expect decruitment if I started posting on non-work forums that the firm's competitors offered better products.

I don't believe your personal beliefs should get you canned from your job.

Lol well that is called the "real world". (TM) In the "real world" anything that isn't firmly ensconced in the handful of protected classes/reasons by law is basically fair game, legally, to be fired
for. The most people have ever gotten WRT 2A is a small handful of states have basically said you can't do things like fire people for keeping a gun in their car, that kind of
thing. But that is about as far as any of that shit ever goes. Even then, some of those types of laws are based on a legal construct that someone's automobile is a sort of extended
castle doctrine. (this actually exists in some states).

Also in many cases your argument would be extremely weak. What if an employee adopts a personal belief that ends up compromising, or could POTENTIALLy compromise... the mission of your company or organization? Lol you can't fire them then? For example lets say I own a gun factory. Via some googling/research on one of my top sales guys, I quickly discover campaign contributions from him and his wife to politicians who promote anti gun policy that basically threatens my company's existence. This is a liability on multiple fronts for my business. So you're going to tell me I'm not allowed to make a judgement call in firing his ass because I've determined, for a bunch of different reasons, that having someone like that employed is a clear liability to my business? (in several different ways) That's just bizarro world, dude.

I actually have been in management and was quite good at it. It wasn't for me though. The nefarious behavior of my company and the way they treated management pushed me back to the union side of things. I don't believe your personal beliefs should get you canned from your job. If you're performance is acceptable that's all that matters.

I'll bet the reviews you received did not reflect your own self approval rating...

As a manager you rep the company line. THAT IS YOUR JOB. Don't like it? Go elsewhere.

One thing they can't do is tell you that you can't keep a gun properly locked up and stored in your car. I've carried at every job I've ever had since I was 21, never paid attention to "no weapons" policies I just carried appropriately and kept my mouth shut. Never had a problem.
Sure they can tell you that in most places.

And in the places where they can't,
if they find out you're storing a gun in the parking lot,
and it gets their bowels in an uproar, they can fire you on some pretext.
It's a pretty stupid manager who can't pull a rabbit out of that hat.

The reason why you never had a problem,
is because you kept your mouth shut.
You know that.
Jus' sayin'.

Lol..Can your boss fire you for carrying a gun? f*** I wouldn’t even give two weeks notice if i work an environment like that.

What I find strange now that I manage people is how hard it is to fire somebody who just won’t quit.you try to make them quit and they just won’t quit...Then I start thinking shit like “I guess this guy ain’t that bad, atleast he’s not a quitter”

But you have to remember everybody I hire and i make them clean my truck to see if they feel they are above it and I’ll leave $100 under the floor matt to see if there a thief. Only one out of 10 times as someone just taking the money and not said anything. To me that’s a severance package

I actually have been in management and was quite good at it. It wasn't for me though. The nefarious behavior of my company and the way they treated management pushed me back to the union side of things. I don't believe your personal beliefs should get you canned from your job. If you're performance is acceptable that's all that matters.
Ha! Just wear a MAGA hat to your next Union meeting!

Police stations, hospitals and "plenty of other places" are perfectly legal to carry in, by the way.
I guess I just assumed that police stations were a no no, but the hospital my wife works for does have a no weapons policy. I know that's not the same as illegal, but my point is conceal it and shut up, and no one will know.;)
Gun in pocket. Mouth shut. No poblem.
Exactly.[thumbsup]
That's just bizarro world, dude.
I totally agree with you, but we are definitely rushing headlong into bizzaro world.

View: https://youtu.be/-b5aW08ivHU

No business owner is going to let an employee go on about their opinion when it goes against the message the company(the owner) wants to send to those customers. And there is no way they should have to let that happen. What you do in your private life is your business. What you do that affects your employer? Well, that can either be good for you or bad. But your employer does NOT have to keep you employed. You obviously have never owned a business, or been in a responsible management position or you would understand this.
I own a business and the guys at work can carry anytime they want. You ever hear of Bansbach? Look them up, they have a 4 lane shooting range to relieve stress at work. They also have 3 dumpsters out back full of ammo. Each worker get 2 hours of shooting a day if under stress. H&K contracts, big boss has $2 million H&K collection. What they dont know wont hurt them.

Can’t believe I’m jumping into this shitshow but it’s Easter and there is a lot of erroneous talk about the BOR.

PSA

The BOR does not give you the right to anything. The BOR is an attempt to codify your inalienable rights. Inalienable means they are not separate from you. They can not be removed.
The BOR was not originally in the constitution because the founders thought they were common sense and unnecessary to add. Some states (thanks guys) said we aren’t signing shit unless you add these ten amendments to ensure our government knows their role.
The entire constitution is designed to limit the role of the government and it explicitly states what they are allowed to do. It also states that this is all they are allowed to do unless we say differently.
It’s an attempt to limit the powers of government and prevent tyranny.

Now just because your rights are inalienable does not mean you don’t have to fight for them. The fact that our government doesn’t give a shit about it is our fault.

....Back to your regularly scheduled program

I swear to God my last meltdown it was just like that but I kept saying...”Imagine I came to your house and pointed a f***ing rifle at you” My constitutional rights attorney tells me I can’t sue over hurt feelings. Should’ve called my personal injury attorney. I’m just joking guys none of that ever happened

in the early 80's i worked at norton co bond st worcester we had a work slow down lasting 6 mons. i was transferred to the security dept and placed in isolated guard shacks on the night shift in various places on the property. there were drunks, fights, and trespassers, nuts and spill overs from the across the street greendale pub all the time. f*** the no weapon rules: i took great pleasure in carrying my new h&k p7 and s&w j frame air weight quietly and well concealed, if i had to defend myself they get sued, i get canned [so what] and sue back for creating an unsafe workplace. all went well, concealed means concealed and in time went back to my regular job. i also did the same thing at satcon co. 2000 , 495 area, northboro ma when being a lone worker on 2nd shift; my s&w ti-lite was with me all the time.

Violation of rights? Customers can carry here. Not a protected building like a court.
It's not like public property which is in common use. Their property is ... Their property.

They have a right to run it the way they wish. You have the right to not set foot on their property.

Violation only comes to play I'd you (or them) are forced to coincide.

The alternate to you, is of course, the usual:
"Concealed means concealed" and "don't advertise that which you do not wish to disclose. "

I don't know, I've carried in schools, hospitals, PO's, police stations, and plenty of other places that prohibit firearms, including my work place. Concealed properly, no one knows. It's not rocket science. The only caveat, is metal detectors.

Back
Top Bottom