Can a Short Barreled Shotgun be made with a Mossberg Shockwave?

Can a Short Barreled Shotgun be made with a Mossberg Shockwave?

MA Law defines a shotgun as

''Shotgun'', a weapon having a smooth bore with a barrel length equal to or greater than 18 inches with an overall length equal to or greater than 26 inches, and capable of discharging a shot or bullet for each pull of the trigger.

A shockwave does not meet this definition.

MA Law restricts defines a sawed off shotgun (illegal) with

''Sawed-off shotgun'', any weapon made from a shotgun, whether by alteration, modification or otherwise, if such weapon as modified has one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

Assembling an SBS with a shockwave would be assembling a SBS with a non shotgun. As the SBS is being assembled by a non shotgun it is not covered by the sawed off shotgun rule.

Am I wrong in the view that this is an entirely above board way to assemble an SBS? I guess the big thing would be how the dealer selling the shockwave FA10s it?

Your reasoning is correct.
the hard part is getting hold of a Shockwave in this state.
If you do, it can be FA10d as a pistol.

MA version of Shockwave for sale in MA: Mossberg 590 Shockwave Mass Firearms Store

From my understanding, the free state version of the Shockwave is not classified as a shotgun by the ATF, but rather as an "NFA item"

The free state version is certainly not classified as an “NFA item” as I can walk right in off the street and buy one with only a background check.

the free state version is a firearm. not a shotgun, not an sbs, not an aow, not an nfa item. 14.5" barrel
the MA version is a shotgun, 18.5" barrel

Getting an SBS in MA is near impossible.
A dealer cant sell you a free state shockwave (its a pistol not on the list)
A dealer cant sell you a SBS (its a pistol not on the list)
You cant convert a shotgun to a SBS as its a "sawed off shotgun" and illegal to modify

I think you can buy a receiver and built up into an SBS but I would not be surprised is someone comes up with a reason why that does not work either.

Only options. 1. Move in with one. Or 2. Find an FFL willing to book it and not care.

Okay. 3. Move to a free state and speak as LOUDLY as possible to anyone in your ken who might sort of listen about what it means to not be in a free state.

The free state version is certainly not classified as an “NFA item” as I can walk right in off the street and buy one with only a background check.
the free state version is a firearm. not a shotgun, not an sbs, not an aow, not an nfa item.

My mistake, I forgot the "non" part when I first heard about the Shockwave, he refers to it as "non-NFA item" (at 4:53 in the video).

You can buy an SBS in MA. There are a normally a good number of originally manufactured SBSs for sale on the gun boards and there are dealers in state that stock new ones. The prices are normally pretty good on used, but it will be the full $200 and a normally longer wait than a form 1.

You can buy an SBS in MA. There are a normally a good number of originally manufactured SBSs for sale on the gun boards and there are dealers in state that stock new ones. The prices are normally pretty good on used, but it will be the full $200 and a normally longer wait than a form 1.

This was certainly true up until the state sent out a love letter to every dealer regarding the Shockwave. They had done a review and (correctly) determined that under state law the shockwave is a firearm (not shotgun, not rifle) which is the same as a pistol/handgun and subject to MGL 140/123 par 18-21 which cover the testing required to get on the list. It also puts it subject to 940 CMR 16. They also pointed out (correctly) that SBS and SBR have the same issue of being a firearm under MA law.

You will notice if you try and FA10 a rifle you cant enter a barrel length under 16" anymore and similarly 18" for a shotgun. You have to enter these as handguns.

I can scan and post the love letter if I remember to tomorrow. I am pretty sure it is posted here on NES somewhere.

If any dealers are selling SBRs or SBSs then they are in fact violating MGL 140/123.

I dont like it, but there it is.

This was certainly true up until the state sent out a love letter to every dealer regarding the Shockwave. They had done a review and (correctly) determined that under state law the shockwave is a firearm (not shotgun, not rifle) which is the same as a pistol/handgun and subject to MGL 140/123 par 18-21 which cover the testing required to get on the list. It also puts it subject to 940 CMR 16. They also pointed out (correctly) that SBS and SBR have the same issue of being a firearm under MA law.

You will notice if you try and FA10 a rifle you cant enter a barrel length under 16" anymore and similarly 18" for a shotgun. You have to enter these as handguns.

I can scan and post the love letter if I remember to tomorrow. I am pretty sure it is posted here on NES somewhere.

If any dealers are selling SBRs or SBSs then they are in fact violating MGL 140/123.

I dont like it, but there it is.

I know the shockwave is its own animal, I did not know they started referring to originally manufactured SBSs as pistols. AOWs I could see, but a SBS has a stock, how is that a pistol? Not that I should be looking for rationality in MA firearms laws.

I know the shockwave is its own animal, I did not know they started referring to originally manufactured SBSs as pistols. AOWs I could see, but a SBS has a stock, how is that a pistol? Not that I should be looking for rationality in MA firearms laws.
MA taxonomy is not the same as federal. There are only three things, rifle, shotgun and firearm. If it is not a rifle or a shotgun and it discharges a projectile, it is a firearm.

It it moronic and illogical but...

yes, it also comes with 10 years or more of free room and board paid for at taxpayer expense

Tennessee. Buds Gun Shop. 14" 20GA Shockwave, $249. 12GA $294. Two of my first purchases once I get there. Followed by a Mare's Leg in 357 or 44mag. Or both. Just cuz. 22 minutes (lol, 22...) from my new home in Jefferson City.

Honestly, with Form 4 wait times, I would go with a can first. Then it's in and you can just go about your life until your stamp gets approved. Then it's like an early birthday, or actual Christmas at this point.

I have posted this before.... but some dealers buy the Shockwaves and part them out.... more money to be made that way.. the by product is a stripped shockwave receiver that can be transferred in MA, registered and possibly an approved Form 1 as an SBS. May cost a bit more but you can have what you want.

Also from time to time, Police Department, Mossberg 590 factory SBS's that have been removed from the registry are sold on GB with no barrels, these can also be transferred in MA, and in theory can be Registered again on a Form 1, as the barrel was only ever 14"

Mossberg 590 Shockwave 12ga receiver OTHER - Other Shotguns at GunBroker.com : 819119144

I have posted this before.... but some dealers buy the Shockwaves and part them out.... more money to be made that way.. the by product is a stripped shockwave receiver that can be transferred in MA, registered and possibly an approved Form 1 as an SBS. May cost a bit more but you can have what you want.

Also from time to time, Police Department, Mossberg 590 factory SBS's that have been removed from the registry are sold on GB with no barrels, these can also be transferred in MA, and in theory can be Registered again on a Form 1, as the barrel was only ever 14"

Mossberg 590 Shockwave 12ga receiver OTHER - Other Shotguns at GunBroker.com : 819119144

This^^^^

Only options. 1. Move in with one. Or 2. Find an FFL willing to book it and not care.

Okay. 3. Move to a free state and speak as LOUDLY as possible to anyone in your ken who might sort of listen about what it means to not be in a free state.

4. Face to face one that is already in the State from a private party. FA10 it as a pistol.

5.Buy a stripped shockwave receiver out of state and have it FFL transferred to you as a bare receiver. Then assemble it and FA10 it as a pistol.

Back
Top Bottom