Can a non-resident come to MA and purchase a rifle and take it with them?

Cuz

NES Member
I was asked this today and didn't have the answer. I never thought anyone would willingly come to MA to buy a rifle. In any case, can a resident from NH, RI, CT, etc. walk into a MA gun shop (or gun show) and buy a rifle without having a non-resident LTC?

Thanks,
Cuz.

He can't purchase it and take it with him. I think he would be able to purchase it and have it shipped to an out of state FFL, though.

I was asked this today and didn't have the answer. I never thought anyone would willingly come to MA to buy a rifle. In any case, can a resident from NH, RI, CT, etc. walk into a MA gun shop (or gun show) and buy a rifle without having a non-resident LTC?

Thanks,
Cuz.

Never, and not even with a nonresident LTC. ("Simons Rock" law BS blocks all of this. )

See Also:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...chasing-Ammo-or-Guns-in-MA-(even-with-NR-LTC)

If he really needs to purchase a rifle here all he can do is buy it and have the dealer outbound it to another dealer in a less retarded state.

-Mike

Last edited:
IDK why anyone would want to, unless for some reason it was hard to find and couldn't get it in another state, but this seems unlikely to me

The only state I can think of that might qualify would be CA......I had no idea about that legal stupidity, but I'm not surprised. Whoever pointed out that it's fruitless to buy guns in MA, since there are so few available that are of any practical use - given all the lists and stuff.

It's worthy to note that the MA resident could drive it to the other state to an FFL and effect the transfer.

Last edited:
Unless it is a C&R rifle and the out of stater has a FFL o3 lic then he could buy it here and take it with him.

Unless it is a C&R rifle and the out of stater has a FFL o3 lic then he could buy it here and take it with him.

Not true. Having an 03FFL does not supersede or negate MA law.

ONLY appropriately licensed MA residents can obtain firearms in MA.

The question was whether you can BUY it or not, and I think the answer to that is Yes. However, you probably won't be able to take it with you.
I was told by a FFL in MA that I could buy a brand new Glock from them and they would ship it to a RI FFL if I wanted to and I did not have a MA LTC at the time (and I am not LEO either).

The question was whether you can BUY it or not, and I think the answer to that is Yes. However, you probably won't be able to take it with you. I was told by a FFL in MA that I could buy a brand new Glock from them and they would ship it to a RI FFL if I wanted to and I did not have a MA LTC at the time (and I am not LEO either).

Yes, as dwarven1 and Mike stated in posts #1 and #2.

A non-resident can purchase in MA, but cannot take possession in MA.

It must be shipped to, and the transfer effected by, a FFL in their state of residence.

He would need a MA nonres for the possession part when he takes control of it

The sale would still be prohibited via Simons Rock. A Nonresident LTC does not overcome the prohibition in the law for that. Nonres LTCs are possession only, you can't even buy ammo in MA with one.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom