Can a MA FFL RECIEVE A NON COMPLIANT GUN from Out of State

Yea, I figured I am screwed. I suggested the manufacturer just destroy my gun and put my serial number on the replacement - They WON'T was his answer. What's interesting to me is they sent my gun back to ME 3 times no problem but they refuse to send a replacement to me OR to my FFL even though I told them it is 100% legal. They don't give a crap.

Len-2A has a good solution but I doubt if the AG would actually do that (I could be wrong and I'll pursue that).

LuvDog, you are probably right but the purpose of my question here was hoping there was something in writing. I've wasted a few months dealing on this nonsense with idiots at the other end. 3 times they tried to fix the problem and they can't!

I asked the manufacturer if the warranty goes with the gun. So I could sell it (to a friend for a buck), have him get a replacement and sell it back to me (for a buck). The answer - NOPE, If I sell the gun no more warranty.

Now, the reason I haven't disclosed the gun and manufacturer was because I didn't want a bunch of comments going off topic about the company etc. I wanted to merely stay on track to see if I could get some solution for my issue. The thread went off topic anyway focusing on FFL issues etc.

I apologize for any negativity you derived from me. That was not my intention.

The company is Taurus. The absolute worst idiots I have ever dealt with. The gun is the Taurus TX22. It's a great gun and I have friends who have great shooters - ME, nope.

I'll keep watching the thread in case someone weighs in with a solution.

Happy New Year to you all, stay safe and thanks for all your input,
David
Damn. I just got the TX22 last month and it's functioned pretty well for the most part. I find the mags need to be kept "relatively" clean/lubed in order for the rounds to slide and feed into the barrel.
Well I hope mine never breaks or I don't need to send it back for repairs. I've got about 1000 rounds through it so far.
Then again, if I was in your position I would line up a dealer in NH to inbound it if they flat out won't ship to MA. Then the NH dealer can ship to my MA dealer. Not going to describe/disclose any more details on that though.

Hi Andrew,

That is an option.....I know about the loopholes so no need to expound on them. Do you know a NH FFL who might help me (for pay of course)?

Thanks for your input and good luck with your TX22.

David

"Taurus are famous for their stubbornness" should've gone with Pisces "If any sign epitomizes chill, it's Pisces"

"Consumer affairs". [rofl]
Yes, IIRC the gun owner filed a Ch. 93A complaint with the AG's office and the AG's office ORDERED the company to do the right thing. OP, try it, it might work.

The company is Taurus. The absolute worst idiots I have ever dealt with. The gun is the Taurus TX22. It's a great gun and I have friends who have great shooters - ME, nope.
Ouch. Back in 1998 I had a lengthy conversation with the VP of Taurus about selling in MA. Their attorneys met with the AG's attorneys and after that meeting they decided never to allow another of their guns to be sold in MA. You have a tough road to travel on this. Try my suggestion above and cross your fingers.

You're right for sure Len-2A. I'll give that a try, thanks. I'd hate to tell you how many hours I've already invested with this. I'm stubborn and hate to get jerked around by them.

Realtor MA - I've tried all the brands of ammo - cci, blazer, federal and so on. We're way beyond that at this point.

one-eyed Jack - Take 2 aspirins and call me in the morning.

David

Sounds like you have a way higher tolerance for crap than I do. Before I spent half as much time on this as you have I would have dropped it off at a local gunsmith and said, "see if you can make this work". Get on with life.

I don't mean to be rude and I surely do appreciate all your guys input and I know you're trying to help and give me good sound advise.....BUT....why the heck are you telling me what the FFL will or will not do? Maybe the FFL is my wife/husband, my brother, my dad, me, even, sheesh.

I guess I won't get an answer to my very simple question!!

Thanks anyway all,
David
Why aren't you telling your own community the make and model of the gun?

nstassel - I did in Post 27 (see below)

Now, the reason I haven't disclosed the gun and manufacturer was because I didn't want a bunch of comments going off topic about the company etc. I wanted to merely stay on track to see if I could get some solution for my issue. The thread went off topic anyway focusing on FFL issues etc.

Good idea Kevin....I never thought of that - Ha, that would really stump them wouldn't it? And given that, why have they sent the gun back to me 3 times already? The absolute worst company I have ever dealt with.

It is a lot of headaches appraiser for any gun. I'm just stubborn I guess. It's almost like a game now.....and who's going to win!

David

Last edited:
nstassel - I did in Post 27 (see below)

Really unfortunate you’re in this position and hope it works out as I freaking love my TX22 - accurate, great trigger, great ergos, and reliable for the most part.

But of course there are plenty of guns that leave the factory that are crap.

I was briefly in the same boat as you (recently) with my Dan Wesson revolver. Gun broke (like not fixable lol) and DW said the new gun can’t be shipped to MA but they would be willing to ship to a NH dealer.

Long story short, someone who’s commented in this thread responded with a well thought out response to DW and convinced them it’s legal to ship to MA. Should be shipping this week actually.

Good luck with your replacement gun Andrew1220........would that "well thought out response" be any use to me to use with Taurus?

David

You don't need to send it to an FFL, they can send it to you directly and legally without a 4473 being done

That is what you need to convince them of, and I posted the appropriate IMHO laws/regulations in a previous post.

Cut out the middle man.

I'm out
This.

I've sent 2 fire arms direct to manufacturers.....they shipped them right back to my door.

Not sure why the manufacturer is giving the op a hassle.

Appraiser, what the heck are you talking about? I’m not looking for an FFL to do any transfer. I already have one. I’m trying to figure out how to convince the manufacturer of my gun that it is perfectly legal for them to send a replacement gun to an FFL in MA regardless of any MA restrictions. That’s it. Nothing more and nothing less. For the purpose of this conversation, what the FFL does after the receipt of the gun is irrelevant.

I hope it’s clearer now what I’m looking for. Thanks a lot for understanding.

David
You should be convincing the manufacturer to ship the gun direct to you. I've done this twice. Once with a repair.....once with a replacement. On the replacement.... Efa 10 and done.

Last edited:
I tried that whacko- they will only ship my original gun back to me. As a matter of fact they've returned it to me 3 times. The replacement gun will have a different serial number so the answer is nope. I suggested they just put my serial number on the replacement gun and send it back to me. They're going to destroy my gun anyway so that makes perfect sense, right? They're answer - Nope. Taurus customer service are morons !!!

David

I could snax....but right now I'm working on a solution - I now have to convince Taurus to go along with it. I'm on hold (phone) with them right now.

David

I tried that whacko- they will only ship my original gun back to me. As a matter of fact they've returned it to me 3 times. The replacement gun will have a different serial number so the answer is nope. I suggested they just put my serial number on the replacement gun and send it back to me. They're going to destroy my gun anyway so that makes perfect sense, right? They're answer - Nope. Taurus customer service are morons !!!

David
Your definitely between a rock and a hard place......especially considering its a Taurus. They are hard headed as hell I've heard.

UPDATE - I found an FFL in NH (thanks to an NES member) willing to receive the gun from Taurus and transfer it to an FFL here in MA. One part of the problem solved, right.

OK, so I call Taurus - matter of fact I just got off the phone with Taurus now - ready for this - they'll only ship the gun to the state it came out of (MA) - and since it's not on the DOJ list they won't send it to me or to an FFL in MA. Guess it's about time I throw in the towel.

NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH TAURUS is the takeaway.

David

UPDATE - I found an FFL in NH (thanks to an NES member) willing to receive the gun from Taurus and transfer it to an FFL here in MA. One part of the problem solved, right.

OK, so I call Taurus - matter of fact I just got off the phone with Taurus now - ready for this - they'll only ship the gun to the state it came out of (MA) - and since it's not on the DOJ list they won't send it to me or to an FFL in MA. Guess it's about time I throw in the towel.

David
No, file a C. 93A complaint with the MA AG. Believe it or not, she'll force them to do it right.

Then never do business with Taurus again. BTW, I owned one of their semi-autos, big mistake but it worked and I did sell it years ago.

David
WOW! Well that really stinks. I sure hope I never need to send my TX22 to them for repairs etc.
I'd hate to involve the AG's office but I wonder if you give them an ultimatum - ship it or else I'm reporting you to the AG. Then see what they say?

I was in a similar position a few years back when I won an auction for a DW revolver on proxibid.com. I had a dealer lined up beforehand and even confirmed with the auction house if they ship to MA. They said they would. Long story short they changed their mind and then when I lined up a dealer in ME they said they'd ship it to the ME dealer but they then the auction house changed their mind again. Needless to say they auctioned it off again (on my behalf) and I lost about $150-$200 due to auction fees etc.

The other thing he could do as Leverage is just ask for his money back or at least ask for something Mass compliant that he can roll and get his money back like to trade it for a G3c, at least he'd get a functional gun out of it.

Back
Top Bottom