• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can a Landlord Prohibit Firearms in MA?

I had the same thoughts when I first started renting the duplex I'm at now. I couldn't find anything in the book that says I couldn't have firearms. The only thing that came up is how much powder I can store for reloading because apparently there is a law that applies to duplexes for that. My landlord is pretty good once he saw my reloading bench I assured him I was licensed and had safes for every thing. The only thing he said was he knows where he's going when SHTF.

as a land lord i don't want to know about it. I'm not the police and i don't care what my tenants do, as long as they don't bother each other.

Hell - the way I see it I WANT to rent to firearm owners. I know the state has already put them through the ringer as far as background checks. Lawful firearm owners are very largely responsible people - meaning a higher probability of rent being paid on time and the apartment not being trashed. If I'm a landlord - I don't see a problem here.

Your comment has nothing to do with the thread. Maybe if you stopped spewing forth the mantra that you love so much you would've actually read at least the OP and you would have seen this quote.

At which point you might ask yourself if New Hampshire has the same protections. Do they?

You are wasting energy typing your response........another classic "I live in the absolutely most free state in the nation" response. He thinks everything is perfectly free up there but forgets he still needs a permission slip to tuck his gun under his shirt or have it loaded in his vehicle. Yes NH is better than mass on gun rights but not perfect. Guess he does not think there are landlords in NH that are anti gun and might try to limit their renters from keeping fire arms in a rented apartment? BUT...... Could JUST as easily happen in NH>

Last edited:
How would your landlord ever find out without a) going through your stuff, or b) you telling him?

Don't know about the OP here but when I load my car up for a trip to the range there is NO PISSOBLE WAY to hide:

1. WHere I am going
2. What I'm putting in my car.

I own my own home but if I had a landlord he/she would definitely at some point know I owned fire arms.

Hell - the way I see it I WANT to rent to firearm owners. I know the state has already put them through the ringer as far as background checks. Lawful firearm owners are very largely responsible people - meaning a higher probability of rent being paid on time and the apartment not being trashed. If I'm a landlord - I don't see a problem here.

^This^ Most places do a credit check that the landlords pay for, the only thing better than a credit check would be a BCI, but since you really can't discriminate against someone based on that, let the state cover the costs. Those with legal firearms = passed a BCI = will make responsible tenants.

^This^ Most places do a credit check that the landlords pay for, the only thing better than a credit check would be a BCI, but since you really can't discriminate against someone based on that, let the state cover the costs. Those with legal firearms = passed a BCI = will make responsible tenants.

I get it and agree......but try to explain this to an anti gun landlord that thinks all gun owners are irresponsible criminals.

I get it and agree......but try to explain this to an anti gun landlord that thinks all gun owners are irresponsible criminals.

People that "think" can change their opinion, I've come across many of them in the past and have since changed to knowing. There is a huge difference between think and know. I know that the sky is blue, but what if I said I think the sky is blue. The statement alludes to the fact that I am ignorant and stupid, and most people that read my statement would offer education on why they know it is blue.

The same thing goes for firearms, the moment some says the word think it a statement, they have opened the door for you to educate them on the facts associated with firearms, so in the future they know how firearms owners aren't irresponsible criminals.

The issues lies in landlords that ignore facts and claim to know what they are talking about, those are the ones you should steer clear of.

My new landlord said no weapons but stopped there. He knew that I have a FFL and State License and the guy below me is a retired local cop. So we just keep our mouths shut and so far so good.

Depending on the type of landlord and property there may be several people out there with the keys to your unit. Could be RE agents, maintenance, etc. Make sure they are secure. You could change the locks but that would require Landlord Approval technically.

When I was renting I came home once to find an RE agent showing my place as an example even though it was not available for rent, I was pissed. I told my landlord I was changing locks and if that was a problem to come see me in person, he never did just said to send a copy of the key. That never happened.

I was living in a house in Dorchester and working nights about fifteen years ago, and had something similar happen. I'd gotten to bed about 4-5am and was awoken around 8;30 by my bedroom door opening and two strange guys walking in. Needless to say, they had barely made it through the doorway before they were were facing down a handgun and some professional threats mixed in with lots of swearing. The tall guy in a suit? He smiles brightly, looks around, and tells me that he's the new owner and he's checking the smoke detectors with the other guy, (a fire inspector) who is frozen in place. His eyes are so big I thought his skull might flip inside out. The suit was like a muppet... all bobbing head and smiles, and he never registered that he was about 3lbs of pull away from a very short visit to the 'hood. Even after I interrupted him, asked if he "realized where in the city he was", pointed out that he had almost died, and that I had a gun in my hand, he still seemed to think that was an ok situation to be in. Unreal. he was some banker type from Marshfield with no street sense whatsoever. The other dude? He poked at the ceiling around the detector without ever taking his eyes off of me, said "We'regoodhaveaniceday" and slowly backed out the door. Apparently my dope of a roommate got the message while he was away for work but never bothered to call and give me the heads up that two random guys were entering the apartment. On the bright side, it was pretty obvious that I could have had enough weapons to supply an armored division and the new landlord wouldn't have given a damn.

Last edited:
I run a 94 unit elderly complex on Cape Cod. One half is HUD, one half is MassHousing. Have close to a dozen residents with LTCs and a couple more that are pondering getting theirs.
Does your complex have social activities (bingo, etc.) for the residents?

If so, you might want to get a MA LTC class on the roster.

If my landlord asks I'll freely tell them
Or you could just say "With all due respect, I prefer not to discuss my security procedures". Also, the singular "landlord" does not go with the plural "them".

Does your complex have social activities (bingo, etc.) for the residents?

If so, you might want to get a MA LTC class on the roster.

Or you could just say "With all due respect, I prefer not to discuss my security procedures". Also, the singular "landlord" does not go with the plural "them".

Is it the similar threads thing necroing all these posts?

Don't know about the OP here but when I load my car up for a trip to the range there is NO PISSOBLE WAY to hide:

1. WHere I am going
2. What I'm putting in my car.

I own my own home ...

Dude, if you didn't get a house with a garage, at least develop an interest in the performing arts.

800px-Thompson_in_violin_case.jpg

Your comment has nothing to do with the thread. Maybe if you stopped spewing forth the mantra that you love so much you would've actually read at least the OP and you would have seen this quote.
for real...those are probably the most obnoxious posts on NES, besides literally anything Cosmic Irony used to post.

Back
Top Bottom