Can a CT “other firearm” be made into SBR?

Hello everyone, I’ve been searching for an answer to this for a while now and can’t seem to find any specific info.
If I purchase a new “other firearm” here in CT, can i form 1 said firearm to create an SBR?

Damn, was hoping to hear otherwise. Are there any specific reasons why “other” firearm receivers are treated differently than a preban receiver in regard to submitting for form 1 to ATF?
Neither are considered Assault Weapons here and are legal to purchase.
I just spent a pretty penny on a virgin preban stripped lower so I could build an AR pistol.
It got me thinking about what BATFE stance might be on redesigning “other” with form 1.

Maybe nobody has tried?
Sometimes the only way to find out is to pays your money and takes your chances.
If BATFE rejects the stamp, you get your $200 back.

For the sake of science I guess I will be the first. Headed to my LGS today to ask around but if it’s still a big mystery I will submit my paperwork to ATF and report back with the result.

For the sake of science I guess I will be the first. Headed to my LGS today to ask around but if it’s still a big mystery I will submit my paperwork to ATF and report back with the result.

Ask a gunshop employee? Don’t plan on getting any pearls of wisdom. I have been told by others who have gone through the process that the ATF asks to see the CSP AW cert in order for them to sign off on it. And you won’t get an AWC for a newly purchased other.

So I did end up going to LGS and as expected I left feeling unfulfilled...
The explanation I was given was this:
An “other” firearm must begin existence as such and can never be changed.
Only FFL can manufacture them, an individual cannot MAKE one.

I did manage to get the contact info for an attorney who works with this particular gun store so I look forward to hearing his/her views. Especially since no one so far has actually cited any law specifically against making an other or redesigning one.

The above explanation makes exactly zero logical sense to me.
The only thing I can think of that damns my argument is that an “other” isn’t a rifle at birth so isn’t restricted by CT AWB until it is redesigned by the approval of ATF form 1 application and is now legally a short barreled RIFLE which does fit the bill for restriction under AWB.
But then why the hell am I allowed to get AW cert from DPS and sbr a preban rifle lower????
Maybe the distinction is the state of residence..if I bought a CT other but live in NH I wonder if ATF would approve?
I’m just rambling at this point and my brain hurts.

Last edited:
Theres 0 reason to own an other outside of a ban state like ct.

The issue is like you said, an other is technically not a rifle and it needs to be a certain length by definition, altering that is a no go. Theres no way you're the first person who has tried this, jojo's gunworks in southington is pretty much the only shop in ct id bother with.

as i understand you cant make a rifle into a pistol, preban or not. this is why preban pistol lowers command such a high price.

That’s correct, if it starts life as a pistol it can be converted to rifle and back and forth. At no point during the swap can a sub 16” bbl be installed while changing brace to stock.

But what I am trying to understand is why will CT let me take a preban rifle lower..assemble into full rifle.. get AW cert and apply for SBR but apparently I can’t even make an “other” for personal use in my own home. Furthermore they won’t allow a buttstock to be affixed which wouldn’t make the weapon longer or shorter than the SB3 collapsible brace. I could build a 12.5” sbr either way right?

Because reasons. The same reasons that you cant own an ar15 in ct, but you can own a kindar15 built with subpar troy parts.

Laws dont make sense.

I don't see why it couldn't PROVIDED that you were now living outside of CT.

A SBR is still an AW in CT. Actually most SBRs are pistols because CT statutes define a handgun as anything with a bbl less than 12 inches. So it would still be an illegal AW based on the CT definition of a handgun AW.

If you now live outside of CT or have a vacation home in a free state and will be using that address for the Form 1, then I don't see the problem.

Because reasons. The same reasons that you cant own an ar15 in ct, but you can own a kindar15 built with subpar troy parts.

Laws dont make sense.
This is wrong. You CAN own an AR in CT. You just have to
1) get one of the new fangled "firearms". Some of which look pretty traditional with an arm brace on them.
2) if you want to spend for a pre-94 ban receiver, you can do whatever you want with it.

With an added forward grip, this is a CT legal "firearm" made by Red Planet Arsenal.

5f3448_f7c55e878f8144759103893f779dc11c~mv2.jpg

Last edited:
Don, for now, I am guessing you were not at the CCDL Meeting last night. There are going to Major changes to the Gun Laws 2018-2019 Session, This is a LONG Session and any one can bring up a Bill and they will.

So if any one wants one Better get it now.

The picture you show does not have a forward Grip that is required for a CT OTHER if that is what you are talking about.

Get what is legal now Do not Wait.

We do not have long to purchase Semi Auto Rifles and maybe Pistols and Shot Guns, they all will be Called Assault Rifles very soon even the Ruger 10-22.

We are headed for a Bolt Action Rifle State, A revolver State, and a Shot Gun State that is not Semi auto, After the new proposed laws go into effect.

Ned said he will sign any and all Gun Control Bills that land up on hes desk.

The Judge will say as long as you can purchase a Bolt Action Rifle it will be ok to ban the Semi autos as you will still be able to own a rifle. Think AWB but for ALL Semi Autos.

The state will clear up the Language on the AWB this time around and may add " TYPE " to the AR Platform like the AK 47 TYPE, all this was talked about at the meeting last night.

My Thoughts only so we have to wait and See. What do you guys think?

Talk to an Gun Attorney before you purchase any Pre Ban As you better have all the paper work from the MFG.
When The Pre Ban enters the State of Connecticut Showing the Date of Mfg. so the FFL knows it is a Pre Ban. Good luck

Dyno - its very well documented on the interwebs what serial numbers are pr-94 ban guns. I bought several back in the early 2000s for my own use, and it was always very easy to confirm pre-ban status.

Remember, its not your job to prove its pre-ban. Its a prosecutor's job to prove it isn.

Also. Thank you for catching my mistake. I grabbed a picture that is not legal in CT because it doesn't have a forward grip.

I've corrected my post above.

The point I was trying to make is that if you take a CT legal "firearm" and add an arm brace, you now have an effectively fully functional AR that is CT legal.

Its interesting that Hoffman's has an entire page dedicated to this type of firearm.

https://hoffgun.com/product-category/firearms/ct-others/

Back
Top Bottom