Can’t decide which AR to purchase

As the title states, I can’t seem to figure out which AR would be my best bet. I’ve decided I will not build my first AR, I would rather purchase a factory built quality checked rifle to get me into it. And this is where I am stuck. My local range and pro shop carry Daniel Defense, Lwrc, and American Defense manufacturing. I’ve held all three, and too be honest the American defense felt the best. The geissele 2 stage trigger, raptor charging handle, ambi controls, billet upper and lower. It just seems to me the American defense is the most bang for the buck. However the Lwrc does look better specially with the fluted barrel. Has anyone ever held and or shot an American defense AR? There’s not much info on the web or review about the company so any insight helps! Thank you in advance.

As the title states, I can’t seem to figure out which AR would be my best bet. I’ve decided I will not build my first AR, I would rather purchase a factory built quality checked rifle to get me into it. And this is where I am stuck. My local range and pro shop carry Daniel Defense, Lwrc, and American Defense manufacturing. I’ve held all three, and too be honest the American defense felt the best. The geissele 2 stage trigger, raptor charging handle, ambi controls, billet upper and lower. It just seems to me the American defense is the most bang for the buck. However the Lwrc does look better specially with the fluted barrel. Has anyone ever held and or shot an American defense AR? There’s not much info on the web or review about the company so any insight helps! Thank you in advance.
Don’t be afraid to build your first AR you will end up with a better product than a factory rifle most of the time. If you’re uncomfortable with pinning the barrel and gas block and stuff just bring it to a gunsmith and have them do it. You can build an unbelievable rifle for the same amount as you would a factory one like a Daniel defense. As you get Into the AR platform u will find out how ridiculously easy it is to plug and play with all the parts. I can almost guarantee you if you spend the $1500-$2000 for your first AR you will find yourself spending almost that much in parts and stuff that you like when you want to interchange for your personal use and functionality. Hope this helps, and it’s fun as hell building your own rifle!

if you can find one at the right price a colt a2 with carry handle and 20 inch barrel: a classic. then you can swap out uppers as needed

They way a gun looks should be secondary to it's robust accuracy and operation.
All things being equal, then buy the one that looks good to you.
I see some great looking AR's at the range that choke on ammo consistently. (I.E. Don't be the dead guy with the best-looking gun)
That said, you listed them in the right order:
Daniel Defense, LWRC, and ADM. (with the first two being interchangeable)
~Matt

if you can find one at the right price a colt a2 with carry handle and 20 inch barrel: a classic. then you can swap out uppers as needed
This. I bought a preban colt lower that was barely used and I tax stamped it. Now I can interchange any uppers I want on it without having to worry about the MA AWB.

It is my opinion that LWRC is building the best ARs at the moment. I own three, an AR pistol and two SBRs. They are pretty much the only ARs I shoot now.

Don’t be afraid to build your first AR
This.

Dude, building an AR is pretty easy. Most importantly, its FUN. There's nothing like shopping for parts, putting it all together like legos, and seeing your creation in finished form. A lot of parts don't need to be high quality, so by building your own you'll save lots of $$ too.

Don’t be afraid to build your first AR you will end up with a better product than a factory rifle most of the time. If you’re uncomfortable with pinning the barrel and gas block and stuff just bring it to a gunsmith and have them do it. You can build an unbelievable rifle for the same amount as you would a factory one like a Daniel defense. As you get Into the AR platform u will find out how ridiculously easy it is to plug and play with all the parts. I can almost guarantee you if you spend the $1500-$2000 for your first AR you will find yourself spending almost that much in parts and stuff that you like when you want to interchange for your personal use and functionality. Hope this helps, and it’s fun as hell building your own rifle!
This. I went the slightly easier/lazy route and bought a completely assembled upper but built the lower myself. I was a noob at the time and knowing what I know now, I would have built the upper as well. I've since replaced the barrel and bolt on my original upper so I should have done that from the beginning....

This. I went the slightly easier/lazy route and bought a completely assembled upper but built the lower myself. I was a noob at the time and knowing what I know now, I would have built the upper as well. I've since replaced the barrel and bolt on my original upper so I should have done that from the beginning....
That's what I did; for my first I got a lower in a NES group buy, assembled it, bought a complete upper.

For my A1 clone I bought a barreled upper and did the special forward assist, triangular handguards, etc. on a lower I assembled.

For my third I bought the lower and assembled it then put on a BCM complete upper.

Assembling at least the lower lets you get a feel for how it works. You can get lots of parts kits minus FCG and/or grip so you can put exactly what you want on there.

As a lefty, my first carbine has an ambi safety, the A1 clone retains the standard safety, and my BCM has a Colt lefty-only safety because it's mine and righties will just have to deal with it.

You already made up your mind,
Go with the one you picked up and said , yyyeeesssss feels good.
Be done with it.

Since you give no mention to what you intend to use it for or what you expect from the platform .

Last edited:
I can build 3 (maybe 4) AR's with PSA parts kits for what a high dollar AR costs. The chances of the high dollar one outlasting my 3 are very low. the odds of your not GETTING to your fancy AR are worse, actually. Having one in a rental storage(taken down and hidden in something nasty and hard to access, so as to deter a thief even bothing to look further) Another at my biz, one in the vehicle (take it down to discretely move it between house and car daily) and one buried in the woods somewhere (half here, half there, two caches) means I'm quite unlikely to not be able to access one of my AR's.

I can build 3 (maybe 4) AR's with PSA parts kits for what a high dollar AR costs. The chances of the high dollar one outlasting my 3 are very low. the odds of your not GETTING to your fancy AR are worse, actually. Having one in a rental storage(taken down and hidden in something nasty and hard to access, so as to deter a thief even bothing to look further) Another at my biz, one in the vehicle (take it down to discretely move it between house and car daily) and one buried in the woods somewhere (half here, half there, two caches) means I'm quite unlikely to not be able to access one of my AR's.
if shit gets bad enough to actually need your AR chances are unless one is always under your direct control getting to your stashed stuff might not be a option.
So having one or 20 means little if you have to go get it.

Back
Top Bottom