Camping in White Mountain National Forest

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, going camping Saturday and maybe Sunday night. I was thinking I'd bring a .22 pistol in case of skunks or coyotes. My neighbor, who owns the land says it is "bear season". I don't know if he means bears are around, or if it is hunting season, or maybe both. Might have to bring a .357, or even a 9mm (here on hear that this is gud), or should I just bring the 12ga?

Anyhow, should be a nice weekend. Hope maybe some blueberries are left, and no snow yet.

Land is in Warren, near Breezy Bend area near Mt. Moosilauke.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I wouldn't carry for black bear - just hide your food and trash, make noise if you actually see one. A black bear came within 25 yards of me a few weeks ago and I reached for my camera instead of my gun. Carry what you normally would for two-legged predators.

NorthShore

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
When the family and I go hiking I usually either bring a speed strip of 38 Special +P OUTDOORSMAN - 158 gr. Hard Cast or just swap out the JHP ammo. Ammo choice all depends on my level paranoia that day ; )

I mostly carry a s&w 638 airweight in the summer.

Buffalo bore makes bunch of hard cast in several calibers.

djbradles

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bears and beers are everywhere.
Bear hunting season here in Maine.
You been drinking son?

I’ve been hiking the Whites for the last 20 years and have never seen a bear. I’ve been in most alpine zones and most 4K footers. It’s been primarily in late September and into October but we always keep our food and trash away from camp. I love open carry in NH.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not worried about seeing a bear while hiking or up during the day. My concern is them coming around at night while we're sleeping in the tent. Will probably just keep food in the car to avoid curiosity. No pots and pans to make noise, only sleeping bags and a deck of cards. There ARE bears in that area. Should we be wearing safety orange? Maybe an orange bandanna for the dog (black).

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not worried about seeing a bear while hiking or up during the day. My concern is them coming around at night while we're sleeping in the tent. Will probably just keep food in the car to avoid curiosity. No pots and pans to make noise, only sleeping bags and a deck of cards. There ARE bears in that area. Should we be wearing safety orange? Maybe an orange bandanna for the dog (black).
well yeah, if you are camping next to the car, that is smart. Also do not cook, nor wash your cooking gear, right next to the tent.

But if you are hiking in and camping, you need to hang your food from a tree limb, or better yet, between two trees on a rope.

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need safety orange!!

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're hiking somewhere where there's hunting and it's the season, I'd wear orange. Lots of idiots out there who can't tell a deer from a man.
It is not required whether you’re hunting or not.

PappyM3

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
As others have said. Make noise, secure and hoist your food up a branch and away from where you’re sleeping. The threat from a New England black bear is very low unless you approach a momma and her cubs.

That said, I still carry just in case. 9mm is fine. Just use FMJ or a solid copper bullet to get penetration. Best to not use JHP.

Its not required, but if I’m hiking away from a well used trail during bear or deer season, yup, some orange is a good idea.

Last edited:

Racenet

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By all means, get a safety orange vest for the dog. A bandanna isn't going to cut it.

Racenet

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are 100% correct. Safety orange isn't required for hunting or not. It is sure as hell smart for those NOT hunting to wear it. I am a hunter. I do not wear it when I hunt. If I am not hunting and I'm out in the woods during hunting season, I sure as hell do wear it.

LittleCalm

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Have your buddy hold your beer. Then run around naked with a set of antlers on your head. See what happens just for kicks and giggles.

Uzi2

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Black bears are like squirrels. They hate people, they hate noise. +1 on the bear bag. I carry whenever I go innawoods, to protecc against 2 legged predators.
Bears do hate being around people......until they don't. My philosophy is, never go,out into the woods with less gun than it takes to bring down the largest animal out there. Humans are not the issue.....a .22LR would suffice for them, but not a bear, coyote or large cat.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
So, going camping Saturday and maybe Sunday night. I was thinking I'd bring a .22 pistol in case of skunks or coyotes. My neighbor, who owns the land says it is "bear season". I don't know if he means bears are around, or if it is hunting season, or maybe both. Might have to bring a .357, or even a 9mm (here on hear that this is gud), or should I just bring the 12ga?

Anyhow, should be a nice weekend. Hope maybe some blueberries are left, and no snow yet.

Land is in Warren, near Breezy Bend area near Mt. Moosilauke.
If you REALLY want to find the bears, then find the blueberries.

Racenet

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bears do hate being around people......until they don't. My philosophy is, never go,out into the woods with less gun than it takes to bring down the largest animal out there. Humans are not the issue.....a .22LR would suffice for them, but not a bear, coyote or large cat.
Don't forget moose. :eek:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been hiking the Whites for the last ten years and have only come across deer on the trail. Although a black bear was stalking the campground I was staying for the whole night.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been hiking the Whites for the last ten years and have only come across deer on the trail. Although a black bear was stalking the campground I was staying for the whole night.
i have seen two at night, one during the day in the whites

Top Bottom