• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Camping in Mass from Out of State - Shotgun legal?

I've been on google for about ten minutes, but am unable to find a verdict.

This is a question I have never come up with before. I have transported firearms to various clubs or ranges over the years, but have always gone home after.

I am joining a friend and his family for some hiking this weekend in western Mass in the lower Appalachian hills. We'll be camping out not far from trails, I'm sure. Possibly within the confines of a state park depending on our pace and the weather.

I'm not a hunter. Just really good at putting holes in paper or dinging steel.

I figure a big can of pepper spray is all we'd want/need in case a bear came across us and we couldn't evade it or shoo it off.

However, if I wanted to break down a 12-gauge to bring along for the overnights - would that be legal? Or if paperwork is involved, what would I need to do?

This has never been a question camping in-state for me. Mama Benelli is never out of arm's reach.

Check MGL C. 131, the hunting laws. Even if not hunting, they do restrict our actions out where wild animals can be found. We have a retired EPO on NES who perhaps can illuminate this subject for you.

Anyone legal in their home state, can bring in non-large capacity long guns to shoot casually in MA w/o need of a MA NR LTC. The more important part of your question is the part above, which I can't answer.

I figure a big can of pepper spray is all we'd want/need in case a bear came across us and we couldn't evade it or shoo it off.

This could be an issue. Pepper Spray requires a permit in MA. It really depends who is in possession of it if the police are involved. If your friend(s) have any form of MA LTC or FID, and s/he/they are in possession of the pepper spray, it should be ok. Yes, this state is retarded with laws involving dangerous weapons.

Last edited:
You need a license for a condiment in a spray bottle!!!! Hahahahgajahhgahaha I've heard of girls carrying small cans of wasp spray to get around this stupid requirement. No lic required for wasp spray

Huh. Even pepper spray needs a permit? That is surprising. We're all from CT these days, so no joy on permits by the sound of it.

The tightness on the pepper spray now makes me wonder if I can carry a Leatherman tool or ute knife! LOL

The tightness on the pepper spray now makes me wonder if I can carry a Leatherman tool or ute knife! LOL

You'll probably get away with that, but rest assured, the police can always find a way to make anything illegal in MA (especially knives) if they want to jam you up.

I'd be very careful WRT any firearm from out-of-state, unless you have a definite destination (e.g. a scheduled shoot), and are transporting it cased. When you talk about camping, I'm presuming that you would have it more-or-less ready to use (ammo in it) in case of need, and that will most likely get John Law upset.

As noted above the hunting laws will come into play, and in Mass, the definition of hunting is extremely broad.

So....cop shows up at your campsite, and finds you with a shottie, and ammo. You are: an out-of-state person in unlawful possession of a long gun, and ammunition; you are hunting without a license; you are hunting out of season......see were this is headed? Add to that, that there are damn few bear/human interactions where the human had to defend him/herself (though they do happen), what you see as prudence, others sill see as paranoia.

There are no state laws WRT blade length on knives (as long as they're not double-edged, or automatic); some municipalities have them, but there are generally carve-outs [laugh] for participating in outdoor sports, like camping.

Bear spray should be GTG, but the stuff that's intended to deter two-legged predators is "ammunition", and requires a license (travel to/from a "real" event excepted).

Simple, right? [laugh][rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom