• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Camping and personal defense

I'll be taking the family camping in a few weeks, south central MA. The question came up about personal defense and safety. There's always the potential of running into certain 2 legged critters, but I'm more concerned about the 4 legged ones. It'll be a 3 day affair, at a primitive site, with some trail hikes during the day. Currently I have a Walther P22 and a Ruger SR9c. I used to have revolvers, but I sold them off years ago. So, the questions being:

1.) For this situation, what would be the biggest concern, critter wise?

2.) The Walther isn't an option to bring. The Ruger has about 400 rounds through it, all of it FMJ with no issues. But is it enough gun?

3.) If the answer to #2 is "No", that what are recommendations? I don't have much coin to plunk down on a new piece, currently. $350-$400 maybe. If I were to reinvest in a wheel gun, ballistics wise, .38spl wouldn't be any better than 9mm, 6 rnds vs 10+1, but the wheel gun would theoretically be more reliable. I've fired revolvers that wouldn't go "bang" on the subsequent trigger pull, and it wasn't the ammo.

Thank you in advance for the advice.

Mossberg 500 Cruiser, 18" barrel pump, pistol grip in 12 ga. Buy some 12 ga magnum slugs and some #4 00 buck. Don't forget to take that silly stick out of the magazine tube and go from 3 to 5 rounds. With the right pack it will fit in. Take a few extra rounds with you, fanny pack works.

~$350 new and used much cheaper. Should handle most critters 2 and 4 legged.

This is my saddle rig. It ain't a Mossberg But

SaddleRig.jpg

Last edited:
Mossberg 500 Cruiser, 18" barrel pump, pistol grip in 12 ga. Buy some 12 ga magnum slugs and some #4 00 buck. Don't forget to take that silly stick out of the magazine tube and go from 3 to 5 rounds. With the right pack it will fit in. Take a few extra rounds with you, fanny pack works.

~$350 new and used much cheaper. Should handle most critters 2 and 4 legged.

I have a Mossberg 500, but I want to go with a CCW piece. This is also tent camping as well.

Frankly, the wildlife is the least of your worries. If you see a yote point it out to the children. I doubt you'll see anything bigger than that. Take the necessary precautions at the camp site to discourage bears and the SR9c should be fine.

I haven't heard of anybody having reliability problems with the SR9c. I know that my SR9 has been 100% reliable.

I'd bring the SR9c loaded with PD ammo, and make sure you have a way to legally store it at night, like a Gunvault Nano or similar. Even if you don't use it, you should have it with you.

Enjoy your trip. I hope to do a few weekends this summer as well.

2 legged critters would be my number 1 concern. bear, coyote, heck the off chance a mountain lion is in the area wouldn't cause me to be want to be armed. the chance of someone from springfield or brockton etc...would concern me more.

Obie1 said:
Unlikely to be menced by any animals in MA. Carry for tghe two legged kind.

Agreed.

I would always go camping in the middle of nowhere, way up in the mountains of Montana. I've only seen one wolf, a few coyotes, and 0 bears. I have seen quite a few bears in Washington state though...

Requisition some claymores for anti-personal defense, teach the kids which way to face them. The 9 is fine for any bear in MA, have fun camping.

Prohibited:
possession of shotgun shells loaded with single ball or slug, or buckshot of any size, except during the paraplegic and shotgun deer seasons, or on a target range.

If you feel the need to carry something I would opt for bear spray. I have camped from here to Alaska and the only thing I have ever carried is bear spray and I have never had a need for it either. I have had bears and wolves come through my camp and never felt threatened at all. I was just in awe of what I was seeing and yes the spray was in my pocket but never felt like I needed to get it out. If you follow safe camping rules like food storage and keeping your area clean you will not have to worry about it. Plus with spray it even will work on a 2 legged visitor.

Are you going to a campgrounds kind of place or the woods ? If it's a regular kind of commercial site you mind run into raccoons , I guess.

Off grid outback boonie camping .... still going to be "people" being the biggest threat in the woods. I have a camp with a one room cabin , and bring something with 30 round magazines when I go.

man-bear-pig.jpg

and dont forget:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd bring the SR9c loaded with PD ammo, and make sure you have a way to legally store it at night, like a Gunvault Nano or similar. Even if you don't use it, you should have it with you.

Go to HD and get an $8 plastic locking tool box. I think I got a Stanley one with a top tray for around that. And then you have an extra tool box when you get home, which is never a bad thing anyway. That's assuming you're considering sleeping w/o your gun, which I wouldn't recommend anyway...

Back
Top Bottom