camo painting your rifle

Krylon camo paint and the matte clear coat...

Krylon enamel matte clear coat? How does that hold up to solvents?

I want to say it is the acrylic matte clear coat actually. It has held up 100% using Corrosion X. No degredation of the paint job at all, and I HAVE gotten it on the paint!

8x57mm, that looks just awesome. I've tried my nand at some camo work on some AR mags but really need to practice some more before I commit to doing my AR, although I have already painted the furniture a solid color to my liking.

Anyway, your work came out great! Looks like a pro job.

Steve

Feel free to try it the way I did it. I'd never done it before, and after all, it's only paint.
Instructions:

http://home.comcast.net/~v2creative/camo.html

By the way I like the way the camo "hood" worked on the scope. It did two things. It kept me from having to paint the scope, and it covers the other things I did not like the idea of painting, the action/receiver and highly polished bolt (which was like a mirror that could be seen in the sun for a mile). I still need a strong matte cover though.

Mini Range report...

I did move the scope forward about 1.5". Shot it off a bench, first at 50yds with 165gr Rem SPs over 41.5 gr of 4064, OAL 2.80". I did not chrony those, as I was just trying to get the scope in the neighborhood.

Then I went out to 100yds with 175gr SMKs (over 42 gr Reloader-15, Win brass, Win primers, OAL 2.80") I was getting 2610 fps (average over 12 rounds). Mild-ish but accurate. Eventually, I had three shots I could cover with a quarter, before my scope worked loose. It actually happened twice. The first time was when the B-Square base itself worked loose, then the bases of the Warne rings came loose. I ran out of ammo before I could get back to that really nice three shot group.

I've used both B-Square bases, and Warne rings before, and with no trouble, but I've never used them together. Maybe there's a compatibility issue, maybe not. There shouldn't be.

I confess that I was neglecting to check the torque every 2-3 shots like one should, so I'm probably to blame, at least in the case of the rings letting off. Anyway, I can clearly see the accuracy potential of this rifle.

I like this load too, for a first guess. Now I need to crank out a good pile and head to the range again for an extended accuracy session, and from the prone position off the bipod.

Last edited:
range report 2

@100 yards

First target: After shot one (off the bench), I clicked right a couple, then fired four shots. Three went through the same hole!

Second target: Three shots prone. Two through the same hole.

Winchester brass, 175 gr SMK over 42 gr Reloader 15. Avg MV of 2615 fps.

JR
target01.jpg

JR
target02.jpg

Liking it!

JR

Nice job. What did you use for the "web" pattern? Cool skull. I might have gone with a less noticeable color... but cool. Cut that stencil yourself? Looks like a Rem Police model? .308?

JR

Nice job. What did you use for the "web" pattern? Cool skull. I might have gone with a less noticeable color... but cool. Cut that stencil yourself? Looks like a Rem Police model? .308?

JR

Yup a PSS with a Varmint stock . I cut a piece of an vest about 2x6 inches . Used an POS airbrush that I cobbled together from parts . Model paint on top of krylon . Does it really matter when ya paint a 1000 dollar Lupey scope ???

Yea I hand cut the skull , ya cant see it when Im on the gun , so who cares ........

NorthshoreMick, I see you painted the bolt, are you not concerned about the paint being abraded off and getting into your barrel?

Nice work!! I have a .270win Savage rifle that needs to sprucing up. The stock is grey and ugly. It would make a perfect test subject!! Hmmm. could be a nice fall project!

Back
Top Bottom