• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Camo for survival

What is the best camo choice for a survival situation including things like bugging out and defense of a camp in a northern New England location? Military patterns or commercial stuff like Realtree?

There is no one good choice.

Will it ge in July when everything is green?

November, when everything is brown?

January, when everything is white?

The key to camo is to match the surroundings. No one pattern can match all surroundings.

I picked up a pair of Red Dawn like snow camo ponchos a while back for a surplus catalog. They were so cheap I figured what the hell.

The key to camo is to match the surroundings. No one pattern can match all surroundings.

+1

There's a pretty decent quote in the movie "shooter". Something along the lines of "Camo isn't something you can buy. It's something you make when you get there"

camo.jpg

Wow... I'm embarrassed at how long it took me to figure out just what was in that picture (besides the couch).

Oh and BTW... if I absolutely had to go with a store bought camo pattern, I would pick something from the new digital line. Even their green color scheme has some gray in it to help with the urban layouts you'd find around here. You'll still stand out in a completely urban background during the day but at night you'd be better off then with realtree or worse, a plain t-shirt.

+1 There ya go, what he said. [grin]

I found regular OD (or OG-107) uniforms to be good camo. I've been stepped on by people twice, both times while wearing OD (once in the old OD pickle suit and once wearing OG-107 jungle fatigues). Once I was laying in a field of brown grass, the other on the jungle floor. Running around in the woods they get dirty pretty quickly and blend in very well.

Last Fall I was hunting up in Vermont with some friends, one was wearing a commercial digital woodland, it was much more green than the Army ACU digital, but was the same layout. It was very effective camo, even when he was walking.

Last Fall I was hunting up in Vermont with some friends, one was wearing a commercial digital woodland, it was much more green than the Army ACU digital, but was the same layout. It was very effective camo, even when he was walking.

Well, except for the orange vest. Right????

My usual : Cheap no name medium weight hiking boots , frayed and ripped jeans with flannel lining , a Tshirt that bears the name of either a construction company , a lumber yard or a beer company , a hammer loop utility knife /holder on my belt , and a carhardt jacket sprinkled with sawdust ?

Either way you'll never know I was there except to say " some guy , a workman of some sort ...."

Oh , wait. Did you mean in the woods ? I like MultiCam , too.

What about face camo?

Ok. Sound like we like MultiCam for clothes. But, what's the most versatile, good-for-all-camo-needs face camo out there?

(Just watching from the sidelines and wondering)

Back
Top Bottom