Calls from Maine about a truck I traded in.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I once donated a car to the "place that cannot be named or the jingle song will run through your head all day." A few months later I got mail or something about it having been found on the side of the highway and I was going to have to pay for the tow, storage, etc. I sent them the receipt that I had donated it and it went away.
CARS FOR KIDS!!

You are all welcome.

enbloc

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Calls from Maine about a truck I traded in.
call Maine State Police and report it stolen...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Communication is everything. This is the lesson from many situations, and it applies here.

I don't answer calls from unknown numbers. People need to use my voicemail to get my attention, but they rarely do. If you left me voicemail asking about locking lug key that I still had, I would make reasonable attempts to get it to you. If I got a vague voicemail somehow related to a truck I traded to a dealer, I would just delete it and move on.

If people can't leave a clear voicemail, I really can't help them.

Last edited:

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Communication is everything. This is the lesson from many situations, and it applies here.

I don't answer calls from unknown numbers. People need to use my voicemail to get my attention, but they rarely do. If you left me voicemail asking about locking lug key that I still had, I would make reasonable attempts to get it to you. If I got a vague voicemail somehow related to a truck I traded to a dealer, I would just delete it and move on.

If people can't leave a clear voicemail, I really can't help them.
Voicemail is so 1980s

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
What's the harm. Block your number give him a call back. He's probably just a good old boy, About to make one of the biggest purchase of his life. Just nervous doesn't want to buy a lemon. Just wants to know if you had any issues with the truck.

Last truck I traded in The oil filter wasn't screwed in all the way. I nearly ran the thing out of oil down for 4 1/2 quarts.

If someone called me and asked I would have told them. The dealer already gave me 24,000 for it wasn't my problem after that.

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98.1%
52   1   0
Somewhere on the internet (maybe even here on NES) I read some advice on buying a used vehicle. It was to contact the former owner of a vehicle to ask them about it and any potential problems not disclosed by the dealer.
I traded in a car to a dealer in my home town. Some time later I get a call asking about the car. The dealer gave him my number. Ironically the person who called me lived up the street from me when we were in school and we knew each other for many years. I gave him the straight scoop on the car. No idea if he bought it or not. This was back in the 1970s, no CID and no internet or carfax.

Fixxah

NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I sold one my Dyna glide to Mom's South when they first opened. It was the first bike they bought for Wrentham. A week later a guy who bought it called me with a bunch of questions. Cheesy business model if you ask me.

Don't call back. Done.

one-eyed Jack

Manufacturer
Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've only sold one used car. (I run them till they are gonzo). When the wife passed I sold her 1993 Olds cutlass supreme convertible. Nice car, but rotting out underneath. A neighbor wanted it. I told the guy to take it to his mechanic to go over it. Gave him a week. Gave him all the service records from 1997 to date. He knew that he had to put some $$ into it. We made a deal. No problems. Jack.

RHJJ

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I see nothing wrong with contacting the previous owner of a used car. Big expense, just being cautious. I would be glad to help someone making a huge purchase.

mibro

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Had this happen. Had an old toyota i just wanted gone. It had a few issues that i fully disclosed when I sold it. Guy turns around and sells it to someone else, saying it was in perfact shape

Guy calls me up thinking he bought the car from me. I explained i sold it to someone else, who he bought it from
Not 100% sure Johnny Law would see things the same way. I always make the buyer sign the title in front of me.

I see nothing wrong with contacting the previous owner of a used car. Big expense, just being cautious. I would be glad to help someone making a huge purchase.
This. The dude just wants to know about the maintenance and repair history on the truck.

enbloc

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
For some reason all my used cars wind up in the Merrimack... after the Insurance check clears.

Top Bottom