Calls from Maine about a truck I traded in.

Maddawg1952

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I don't know how this guy got my phone number but I've gotten several calls about a truck I traded in in Dec. Seems like someone trying to get info for a scam to me. All the calls are on an answering machine . I have not called back about this. Anyone else ever get this before? Traced the area code to Augusta Maine but I don't have a reverse phone number app.

Maddawg1952

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I know that, He says he's looking at it someplace. I know this truck went to auction couple days after I traded it in. Some place probably has it in a used car lot I have no idea how he would get the title unless he actually bought it.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I know that, He says he's looking at it someplace. I know this truck went to auction couple days after I traded it in. Some place probably has it in a used car lot I have no idea how he would get the title unless he actually bought it.
That sh*t is public record, sadly. Until a new title is issued (ie, someone else buys your old vehicle) your name is associated with it. Let’s of websites will pop your name (and possibly phone #). Hell, I regularly get junk mail warning me my car “might” be out of warranty. Yay.

Once someone else buys it, then it gets harder to legitimately look up the previous owner

Maddawg1952

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Damn! I Googled myself and I'll be damned if all my phone numbers aren't there. You have to look through a couple of sights but even my Business License and personal cell numbers are there. Even a phone that's on MagicJack as an answering machine for me is listed, something that's never been published anywhere. Guess you can't hide from The .GOV if they want to find you. I suppose I probably knew this but I didn't really ever think about it. It's not like I'm someone important or even relevant I'm just your average blue collar kinda guy.

Last edited:

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Anyone else ever get this before?
yeah, but a long time ago. i traded a truck that had a set of locking lug nuts on it and i forgot to include the key when i dropped the truck off. several weeks later some guy starts calling, said he bought the truck and was looking for the lock key. turned out to be legit but i often wonder even now when i think of it is why didn't the dealer just call me. we didn't have the electronic capabilities then that we have now so i have to assume the dealer just gave him my name and phone #.

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Damn! I Googled myself and I'll be damned if all my phone numbers aren't there. You have to look through a couple of sights but even my Business License and personal cell numbers are there. Even a phone that's on MagicJack as an answering machine for me is listed, something that's never been published anywhere. Guess you can't hide from The .GOV if they want to find you. I suppose I probably knew this but I didn't really ever think about it. It's not like I'm someone important or even relevant I'm just your average blue collar kinda guy.
Note, you need to Google yourself in a 'private' browser window with no cookies, if you want to see what other people see. If you use your regular browser, the cookies in it will cause Google to bring up personal info that other people may not see.

zboys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I don't know how this guy got my phone number but I've gotten several calls about a truck I traded in in Dec. Seems like someone trying to get info for a scam to me. All the calls are on an answering machine . I have not called back about this. Anyone else ever get this before? Traced the area code to Augusta Maine but I don't have a reverse phone number app.
I have reverse phone app, what's the #

arsco

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
After the last few giant info hacks a lot of what wasn't available is now. Bad enough the state just gives away most the info. Home deed, professional license info including address etc

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Somewhere on the internet (maybe even here on NES) I read some advice on buying a used vehicle. It was to contact the former owner of a vehicle to ask them about it and any potential problems not disclosed by the dealer.

Reactions: TLB

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
When I am looking at a used vehicle I will ask to see the title and if I can get the previous owner's name off it I do call them and ask them if there's anything they would like to tell me about the car

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
The answer might be simpler than you think. I bought a used vehicle (from a dealer) last year. I found a lot of documents from the original owner in the glovebox. I mailed what I found back to that person. There was a lot of personal info if I'd wanted to misuse it.

zboys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
He probably ran a Carfax, all the previous owners would be listed, not hard to track you down. probably just wanted info on the truck I've done it.

pupchow

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Back in the olden days (Compuserve/ Prodigy), I owned a blue '75 Honda CB400F Super Sport. I'd get solicitations via postcards/letters offering to buy it, from all over the country. It was kind of a rare bike, but how'd they find the owner info?

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Had this happen. Had an old toyota i just wanted gone. It had a few issues that i fully disclosed when I sold it. Guy turns around and sells it to someone else, saying it was in perfact shape

Guy calls me up thinking he bought the car from me. I explained i sold it to someone else, who he bought it from

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I once donated a car to the "place that cannot be named or the jingle song will run through your head all day." A few months later I got mail or something about it having been found on the side of the highway and I was going to have to pay for the tow, storage, etc. I sent them the receipt that I had donated it and it went away.

JoeT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I bought my last bike on ebay 3 day no reserve auction, ends up that it was a pawn shop in Iowa. I got it at a very reasonable price. Bike has the guy who pawned it's info in the saddlebag. I reached out on facebook, ends up it's the guys dad (Sr not Jr) who gives me his son's contact.

I send him an email, bought his old bike from a pawn shop, he owes me nothing, but any info he could share would be appreciated. Sent me receipts for all work done to the bike while he owned it, explained that it needed a few things, told me what it needed, asked what I paid. He told me what he got for it in pawn. Lost his job, couldn't come up with the pawn payments and wished me luck and congratulated me on the buy.
I got 2 years out of it, sold it late last season and made $2500. Now searching for my next bike

Top Bottom