Calling SIG experts, school me pls

s4mt3k

NES Member
Hey folks, looking to get my first sig and thinking the first would be an upgrade from my M&P9, in other words full size 9mm. I was looking at the the [STRIKE=226 I mean]220[/STRIKE] 226 but I'm open to any other models if better... Thoughts? yay? nay? specific edition vs the other?

Also, pre-ban mags, do they exist? can they be purchased?

Thanks!

Last edited:
if 9mm, then P226 hands down.
one of my favorite handguns ever....a total keeper. Nice full length barrel, amazing gun. I prefer the newer models that come w the E2 grips, awesome stuff.
pre ban mags are very easy to find too, not that I care either way since I am fine w neutered 10'rd mags.

the P220 is a .45acp....I also love the P220. Amazing gun too. People complain about the 8rd mag capacity but 10rd mags are available and they work great.

if you want a .45, you will dig the P220 too.

i own both and have no intention of ever parting w them. The only Sigs I have sold off were my P290 and P250 9mm.....the P250 .45 is awesome however.

oh right, sorry I meant to say P226 not 220! Glad to see I was on the right track. I fondled an E2 grip one at Gun Parlor, loved how it felt

Where have you seen the mags pop up? Here on NES classifieds?

- - - Updated - - -

Also comments on shooting, trigger, cleaning, known issues?

The E2 grip is awesome. I have a 226, but I have to admit, the 229 fits my hand better.

I did the short reset kit on my 226. Easy.

- - - Updated - - -

Preban mags easy to find.

in MA people milk them. Out of staters sell them cheaper on eBay and GB. Keep in mind in other states preban mags are just old crusty mags....they have less value there.

WRT P226, it shoots freaking amazing. Cleaning is easy. There isnt much bad to report. Always some idiot complaining about how their gun was no good but whatever those people scapegoat a gun for their own cluelessness.

the P229 also nice but i see no point...it has less barrel length but weighs the same. Preban P229 mags are tougher to find but also exist. I personally just have no use for 9mm handguns with intermediate barrel length like the P229.....i prefer either full duty size or small single stack like a PPS/P938.

I have both the 226 and 229 and prefer the 229. Mostly, though, it's because it fits my hand better, is a bit smaller and is easier to conceal and carry.

Either way you can't go wrong.

A few thoughts.

- If this is a range gun and weight is no consideration, try to find an all stainless one. The weight means recoil is ridiculously low and the rails will last longer.
- If you get an aluminum one, I'd recommend using grease on the rails to preserve the anodizing. See Grey Guns site on how to lube them.
- I want to get an old, "made in W. Germany" 226 or 228.
- The SAO ones, particularly the X5s, are awesome.

if 9mm, then P226 hands down.
one of my favorite handguns ever....a total keeper. Nice full length barrel, amazing gun. I prefer the newer models that come w the E2 grips, awesome stuff.
pre ban mags are very easy to find too, not that I care either way since I am fine w neutered 10'rd mags.

the P220 is a .45acp....I also love the P220. Amazing gun too. People complain about the 8rd mag capacity but 10rd mags are available and they work great.

if you want a .45, you will dig the P220 too.

i own both and have no intention of ever parting w them. The only Sigs I have sold off were my P290 and P250 9mm.....the P250 .45 is awesome however.
What Squib said, I have both too and the 226 is my favorite, I did send it back to Sig and had them install a SRT when they had a sale, and am very happy. You can't go wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a 1996 P226, the ones made in Germany with a stamped steel slide. Super easy to clean and break down.

There are Sig pre-bans on gunbroker for $75, that's around the going rate for a Sig-branded mint pre-ban. You can also get either aftermarket pre-bans, and someone was/is selling European pre-bans pretty cheap, like $25 on gunbroker. There's a thread about it already:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/256318-226-mags-of-the-pre-ban-nature

Issues - I'd buy either a new one or an old German-made one like mine, cause there were a few years in late 2000s where Sig had quality issues.

It's a heavy gun, all steel, no polymer. I kind of prefer the polymer frame guns.

Consider also the P229, if that fits your hand, it shoots just as well and is concealable - the P226 isn't really.

Consider also the P239 if concealed carry is a top priority. Best Sig for CCW (oops, forgot the 938).

Last edited:
I like the 229s. Very concealable. I live down the street from thesig store. A few weeks ago the had several boxes of used magazines. Like several 100. Range mags, $15 each. Lots of 226, 229 dated 12 round mags.

I have a P226 all stainless and it is a great match gun but a little heavy for carry purposes. My gun had the old SIG trigger which sucked and I was not real happy with the sights. A gunsmith fixed the trigger for big $ and I replaced the sights myself for short money. I am delighted with the new and improved P 226 but it cost me dearly. If you get a new model with the SRT trigger you will solve the trigger problem and save a lot of $.

This may upset some SIG fans but I compared my SS S&W 5906 with the P 226 and found it to be a far superior gun out of the box.

I like my 210,and 228. The 229 in 357 sig is just kick ass. If anyone finds a 220 in 9mm with bottom mag release for sale please let me know.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm gonna have to get a 229 in my hand and compare it to the 226. I probably won't carry it but just in case I suppose

Back from the gun store;

Got to handle both 226 & 229 right next to each other. They both felt great and while aesthetically, the 229 got the lead, the 226 felt slightly better in my hand, both in the grip and the weight distribution. As I mentioned I don't intend to carry it (at that weight/size point, my 1911 wins).

I am the new owner of a SIG P226 [smile]. I cannot wait to put a few rounds through it!!!

Thanks again for all the comments and feedback!

- Sam

Last edited:
I have both a P226 and a P229. I like both for different reasons. I carry the P229 and have daily for years with no issue. The P226 has no appreciable extra height in the grip the place where it matters most in concealment. I say you can't go wrong with either. Try all the combinations out. The E2 grips for me are excellent and I do love the SRT (short reset trigger), but the short reach trigger is too short for me and I need to have the standard trigger in my guns.

Back
Top Bottom