• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Calling all old-timers

I'm relatively new to the gun hobby having had my license for only a few years.

Can any "old-timers" tell me if they've seen this type of shortage in ammunition in the past? I know history repeats itself but what's happening today seems extremely unusual.

What I don't understand is the LACK of media awareness regarding this issue? Its almost as if there's a media blackout regarding ammo. [rolleyes] They'll talk about gun sales going through the roof but ammo is something that's completely avoided. [thinking]I've heard that this is going to clear itself out by November but my gut tells me otherwise. It seems like our only way of communicating this to each other is through forums and the intrawebs. What are the thoughts of those of you here on the forum?

I hate to think of myself as an old timer but unfortunately I am by no means a " new timer ". The media has reported on this current ammo shortage. Google the subject and there will be quite a few articles and commentaries available. To answer your question as to a past occurance. Yes, during WWII when all domestic ammunition production was 100% devoted to military needs. Our country had a much,much greater industrial capacity than it does now and we won the war by outproducing everyone else on the planet. Civilian considerations were on the back burner. Some common ammunition was available for ranching and agricultural use but Joe sixpack was not able to go to the local hardware store and buy ammo. Unless it was stock on hand. I have a 1945 edition Boy Scout handbook with a Remington advertisement concerning ammo availability, the gist of which was the anticipation of a return to the good old days of shooting upon final victory. We can't satisfy current demand. The manufacturers are doing the best they can but concensus opinion is that investing in new manufacturing capacity in todays political and business climate is a lose/lose proposition. My less than educated opinion is that you buy what you need when you can. We all hope things will get back to normal. I hope that coffee will go back to pre Katrina levels and that gas will not cost too much this summer, right along with tens of millions of other competing consumers.

Back
Top Bottom