Calling All NES Auto Body Experts

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Hoping someone can either confirm or relieve my concern here.

My new (to me) 2017 Ram 1500 was rear-ended last September. The bumper and some tailpipe pieces had to be replaced. Since it had 33,000 miles on it the auto body shop was supposed to use after-market items, not OEM.

The other day I noticed this on the bumper. There are patches on all over the bumper, not over-whelming, more like what you see here. I wiped the dirt off with a wet rag but water doesn't touch it. No other metal parts have this. The metal still feels smooth, can't detect any roughness on the discoloration.

Is it beginning to rust already? The shop that did it is a very well-known and respected shop in Chicopee, I intend to go back in the next day or two and show them. I am wondering if this is covered by their guarantee?

IMG_0873.JPG

vario

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Looks like a bad plating job. Most all AM parts guys guarantee their parts for 90 days. Your insurance company could have different guarantees with the AM company though.

Danor

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I was in the same situation with a recently replaced bumper. The body shop said the aftermarket parts and the repair were guaranteed. He spoke to the insurance company and they authorized an OEM replacement. Mine was getting surface rust.

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I was in the same situation with a recently replaced bumper. The body shop said the aftermarket parts and the repair were guaranteed. He spoke to the insurance company and they authorized an OEM replacement. Mine was getting surface rust.
This.

Aftermarket parts are crap and the insurance rules requiring the shops are crazy. After 12 months or 25k miles they do not have to use OEM parts. If you want them you pay for it.

You can buy extra insurance to cover it but it is 5 years 50k miles If you want it.

I‘m going from memory but you get the idea.

Bob

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Went to the place that did the work, Don Roy's Auto Body in Chicopee (shameless plug). The lady who runs the shop (Don Roy's daughter?) looked at it and immediately told me that they would have the manufacturer replace it and cover the labor. She was apologetic tho that they could not provide a rental while my truck will be in the shop. No problems, I have another vehicle I can use.

For those snarky comments about Dodge rust problems...I give you Viper.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I would be asking the insurance company to put you in substitute transportation and make the body shop whole for the cost of the labor under law when I specify the use of a part and a vendor I am on the hook for it the law actually says that when the part does not need the repair needs its defective it doesn't fit not like kind and quality the insurance company is responsible for returning the part not the body shop. if you ever get in an accident ask the body shop if they try to price match OEM with aftermarket most manufacturers have a program that will sell the parts to shops at a competitive price to aftermarket it's up to the shops to take advantage of it when I worked at Marshall's Auto body in billerica it was a requirement for the appraisers that we try to obtain as many OEM parts as we could there were several online portals to do it with

Top Bottom