• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Callaghan Firearms Sales-Marlborough

Met him at the Cowboy Shoot a couple of weeks ago and stopped by this morning. Good selection of long guns. Handguns are somewhat limited, but I still saw several I was looking for. Ammo for everything.

Richard is very personable and helpful and I was treated nicely.

150 Main St.
Marlborough
508-481-2051
www.ca-firearms.com

News Shooter said:
Met him at the Cowboy Shoot a couple of weeks ago and stopped by this morning. Good selection of long guns. Handguns are somewhat limited, but I still saw several I was looking for. Ammo for everything.

Richard is very personable and helpful and I was treated nicely.

150 Main St.
Marlborough
508-481-2051
www.ca-firearms.com

Richie is a Good Guy - he's honest, a good guy to do business with, and he's definitely a Second Amendment supporter - he gives a great interview to the newspapers when they talk to him.

He doesn't carry new centerfire handguns because of the bullmanure our AG puts on our dealers. :( But he does have some used stuff - you just have to stop by and see what's there. His prices are good when the weapons aren't on consignment (he had a couple of Model 10's that the owner wanted $395 for and wouldn't come down from that at all - this is the gun owner, not Richie!). He does carry long arms and ammo, as well as hunting supplies.

He basically opened the store to support his hobby - black powder. I suspect that when I do get around to buying myself my first black powder firearm, it will be from Richie. He's very knowlegeable (did I spell that right?) about that stuff.

I've bought a few things from him over the years, and it's nice to walk into a shop and be greeted by name. :)

Gee, Lynne, his stuff is definitely something you & Ed would be interested in... black powder is his speciality.

dwarven1 said:
Gee, Lynne, his stuff is definitely something you & Ed would be interested in... black powder is his speciality.

I should find out how much he charges for FFF black powder...it might be worth the trip. :D

Lynne said:
I should find out how much he charges for FFF black powder...it might be worth the trip. :D

Question (sorry but going off topic) Do you use FFF in your musket? I ask because I purchased a can of FFF for my rifle, but then when I got the book it said I should be using FF....

Adam <-- might have some FFF to sell

Adam_MA said:
Lynne said:

Question (sorry but going off topic) Do you use FFF in your musket? I ask because I purchased a can of FFF for my rifle, but then when I got the book it said I should be using FF....

Adam <-- might have some FFF to sell

We use the triple F for reenactments in our muskets.

Lynne <--who might be interested. :D

C-pher said:
News, does he have a lot of cowboy stuff? I'm still looking for an orig Winchester '97 with a 30" barrel in good shape for a good price.

Check with Paul Dias, Auction Gallery of Paul J Dias, (781) 447-9057, in Hanson, MA. Paul is an avid collector of old weapons and an FFL. Tell him I sent you, he's a very nice and knowledgeable person on old guns.

Stopped in on Richie today and chatted a while. As usual, there were a couple of other customers there BS'ing, but also as usual, I got a nice greeting from Richie.

Interesting to note that Richie told me that he'll be getting some new handguns in after the first of the year; this is a change for him as he didn't want to deal with the AG's regs before. Not sure what changed his mind, but I'm glad of it.

Also, C-pher... he has a lever action Rossi in .45LC - might make a nice match to that Ruger Black Hawk I have for sale! :D

Another thing I learned from him; he'll be going up to a gun show in Maine (somewhere past Bangor that starts with a W... and the name went right out of my head) in a few weeks. I asked him about prices and he says that he won't mark up prices for a show and that usually up in ME and NH his prices are $50-$75 less for stuff than others.

Anyway... he still has a nice selection of long arms and BP stuff, and I'll be glad to see him filling his display case with new handguns, too.

He's right on Main Street in Marlboro, right next to town hall.

dwarven1 said:
Stopped in on Richie today and chatted a while. As usual, there were a couple of other customers there BS'ing, but also as usual, I got a nice greeting from Richie.

Interesting to note that Richie told me that he'll be getting some new handguns in after the first of the year; this is a change for him as he didn't want to deal with the AG's regs before. Not sure what changed his mind, but I'm glad of it.

Also, C-pher... he has a lever action Rossi in .45LC - might make a nice match to that Ruger Black Hawk I have for sale! :D

Another thing I learned from him; he'll be going up to a gun show in Maine (somewhere past Bangor that starts with a W... and the name went right out of my head) in a few weeks. I asked him about prices and he says that he won't mark up prices for a show and that usually up in ME and NH his prices are $50-$75 less for stuff than others.

Anyway... he still has a nice selection of long arms and BP stuff, and I'll be glad to see him filling his display case with new handguns, too.

He's right on Main Street in Marlboro, right next to town hall.

Next time that I come out to visit, we're going to have to make a trip.

C-pher said:

Make it quick, C-ph... I'm mulling over a job offer, so I might actually be *gasp* working during the days soon. Whatcha doin tomorrow or Thursday?

In fact, we could then go up to K&R Target Sports in Hudson - they're only about 10 minutes away from Callaghans.

dwarven1 said:
C-pher said:

Make it quick, C-ph... I'm mulling over a job offer, so I might actually be *gasp* working during the days soon. Whatcha doin tomorrow or Thursday?

In fact, we could then go up to K&R Target Sports in Hudson - they're only about 10 minutes away from Callaghans.

Crap, tomorrow Hadley is going to Daycare so we can do some running around. And I think that Thursday is going to be more of the same. But I'll keep you posted. If I can get away for a couple of hours, we'll do that.

I'll just have to think up an excuse why I need to go to Marlboro. [twisted]

Looks like he closed up shop

Hi,

FYI, I drive by his shop on the way home now and then. Saw a real-estate agency sign in his window earlier this week. No answer on the phone either. His stock was nothing like Carl's so he didn't have a volume business. But he ordered a variety of 380 hollowpoints for me once when I got my Bersa. Darn shame, I enjoyed waltzing in their and browsing. Having a gun shop right on Main St. next to city hall was pretty cool!

c'est la vie,
Chuck

Chuck, do NOT despair! Richie is alive and well and in a new shop up the street. I think it's the Walker building... Not 100% sure, though. About the same size but looks like it'll be better laid out (Richie showed me the floor plans last time I was in).

Looks like he hasn't updated his website, either... and I remember reminding him about that, too. I'll try and go by this weekend and see if I can get the new address.

Chuck & dwarven1, He's in the rear of the red brick building before Professional Auto next to Alan's Glass. I'm not sure if he is open for buisnes yet.
Chuckster

Chuck said:
...FYI, I drive by his shop on the way home now and then. Saw a real-estate agency sign in his window earlier this week. No answer on the phone either. His stock was nothing like Carl's so he didn't have a volume business. But he ... for me once....

Darn shame, I enjoyed waltzing in their and browsing. Having a gun shop right on Main St. next to city hall was pretty cool!

c'est la vie,
Chuck

dwarven1 said:
Chuck, do NOT despair! Richie is alive and well and in a new shop up the street. ...

I'll try and go by this weekend and see if I can get the new address.

Sounds like you guys need to go and give him some business traffic. (-:

Well, I visited Richie in his new location - the building is right at the corner of Main and Mechanic with "1916" on the peak of the building. The store is in the back right corner of the building. Park in the lot between that building and the New Moon Cafe.

So the new location is a little smaller, but laid out better. He's got several racks of ammo (and I think he's going to be getting some surplus stuff in, too), several racks of rifles in the center, arranged around 4 chairs for people to plop down in and shoot the sh*t. (he's a real friendly sort!)

He just got in a bunch of Arisakas (including several WITH chrysanthamum), and he's also got a Hakim and an original 1873 Winchester (made in 1891!). Not a lot of hanguns, but his speciality is long arms, anyway. Black powder and centerfire.

Anyway, nice store and a good place to waste an hour or so... if you're not spending it browsing, you'll be BSing with Richie! [grin] He's open Wednesday through Saturday.

Richie asked me to post his hours, so here goes:

Monday/Tuesday - call first (508-481-2051 / 800-370-2051)
Wednesday 10-5:30
Thursday 10-5:30
Friday 10-6:30 (hunting season til 7:30)
Saturday 10-2:00 (hunting season til 6:00)

Ross

+1 for Richie

Called yesterday to see if he was open and he was for a bit. Was actually going there just to get some steel shot as he was trying to get rid of some. Came across some really nice used pieces in the case, one was a model 60. Really clean and he said it was from a LEO that never shot it. Considered getting that for 295 since it looked unfired until I saw an orphaned nickel 19 which took about 10 minutes for me to adopt. I may actually go back for the model 60 if he still has it.

Store layout seems a lot better than the old location. All in all Richie seems like really nice guy and it's a nice shop with good prices. Would recommend him to anyone.

Check with Paul Dias, Auction Gallery of Paul J Dias, (781) 447-9057, in Hanson, MA. Paul is an avid collector of old weapons and an FFL. Tell him I sent you, he's a very nice and knowledgeable person on old guns.

I agree, Paul is a great guy and knows a lot about guns. Does anybody know what's up with him now? I haven't seen him in a while. Last I saw him was at the Marlboro gun show a few years ago. He said he stopped doing auctions and was going to gun shows now. I used to go to his auctions years ago and got a few good buys at them. I'd love for him to be doing auctions again.

Joe, give him a shout.

Not sure when I last saw him. I've stopped going to the Bay Colony Weapon Collectors meetings many months ago . . . he used to attend most meetings/swaps.

Richie just asked me to post his new hours, so here they are:

Sun: closed
Mon: closed
Tues: call (508-481-2051 or 800-370-2051)
Wed: 10-5:30
Thurs: 10-6:30
Fri: 10-6:30
Sat: 10-2:00

When I was there late this afternoon, a guy was putting a bunch of rifles and a few pistols on consignment. (although since he wanted $225 for an Excam .38 derringer, I don't know what kind of deals you'll find). But I noticed a Carcano 6.5, an SKS (Yugo 59... I think), a 91/30 with octagonal receiver, a Norinco AK and a Norinco AK with a folding stock, a couple of Makarovs and a Raven .25 in a Galco holster. I think he had a G3S receiver, too.

Callaghan's is on the corner of Mechanic St and Main St in Marlboro, right across from Marlboro House of Pizza.

No, the guy was letting Richie write up the paperwork, THEN he was going to sit down with a copy of the Blue Book - I just didn't have time to wait. They won't be cheap, I'll guarantee that. I think that Richie puts them on gunbroker as well, but I can't remember the name he uses there.

Why not just give him a call or drop by? Nice place to browse. Just beware that you may find yourself shooting the shit with Mr Callaghan and before you know it an hour or two has passed by. [wink] I mean, there are three chairs set up in front of the counter (nicely framed by three big rifle racks) for just that purpose!

Heh, yeah I've been in there before. Looking to get an M4gery before an AK, but if it was a good deal, well... [wink]

Back
Top Bottom