1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Call me Scrooge if you want...but...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by doobie, Apr 30, 2009.

1. scottmac019

scottmac019

Thanks Len...already answered it...

2. Lynne

Lynne

Thanks hun. My brother works and volunteers for Angel Flight. I hear a lot of stories about kids that they fly in for treatments in Boston. Sometimes they break your heart and other times, the courage and determination some of these tikes show could put any adult to shame 10 fold.

Thanks again.
    [smile]

3. Navy Moose

Navy Moose

I've never donated to UW either and I never will. I'm sure you remember the problems where only a small percentage of the "donation" made it to the charities and the senior management made boatloads of money.

I donate to animal shelters like MSPCA and Northeast Animal Shelter. They both do great work. Angel Memorial has been there for us and my family adopted a number of furry friends from Northeast and dropped off strays as well.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  4. doobie

doobie Banned

I was referring to being scrooge for no longer donating to charities that also help the type of people on welfare. I have no problem converting my donations to non-welfare serving charities.

And I'm trying to keep my money in New Hampshire or those services that serve New Hampshire.

5. dwarven1

dwarven1 Appleseed Instructor Dealer NES Member

I know you were, Bro. And I still maintain that Scrooge is a descriptor best reserved for those that do not donate to charity AT ALL. You merely want to target your generousity.

6. doobie

doobie Banned

I've had to say no to friends who were raising money for welfare type charities. I felt bad saying no to them, but not bad to not giving money to those charities. Some of these people I've been giving a goodly sum of money every year for the past 8 or 9 years, increasing the amount I give every year or two. I've had to say no to 3 people so far. One asked why. I told them, "I cannot give to welfare causes when I have money stolen from me by the government to support those causes." I was told it wasn't a welfare cause. "If it isn't for a welfare cause, then why do they need money for food? Aren't their food stamps not enough? Any cause supported by welfare by the government I cannot willingly give money to anymore." They haven't come by my office since then.