1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Call me Scrooge if you want...but...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by doobie, Apr 30, 2009.

1. doobie

doobie Banned

Last year I donated over $1000 to charitable organizations for the needy (Salvation Army, Walk for Hunger, food banks, etc). I've decided that for now on so long as I'm forced at the barrel of a gun to pay for welfare programs I'm no longer going to donate money to these types of organizations.

Anyone know any decent non-welfare type of charitable organizations? I'm thinking of JPFO* and various medical research programs. Anything else?

* Stay tuned, I may be giving away a life or partial life membership to JPFO.

EDIT: my preference is to keep my money/value local (Concord/Manchester, NH area).

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009

2. Martlet

Martlet

I donate almost exclusively to local charity now.

3. kiver

kiver

Shriners Hospitals.....They need help

2 people like this.
  4. BOBKATT

BOBKATT

I've been saying that since the government forcedly takes so much of my money and gives it to the charity of their choice, I will not be donating money. I'll donate clothes, food, and time. That is all.

5. scottmac019

scottmac019

I work for a non-profit that supplies Computers and other technology to those with severe handicaps...and we are hurting for $$$ since being cut by the state...check us out here

http://www.thesharefoundation.com

every little bit helps...and we may also be able to help someone you know!!!

6. doobie

doobie Banned

Those are all items of value and hence 'money.' I tend to donate a fair amount of time to local orgs. Glad to know I'm not the only one not wanting to give money freely because of government theft.

7. dwarven1

dwarven1 Appleseed Instructor Dealer NES Member

Doobie, Kiver is right - donate to the Shrine Hospitals. Their endowment has taken a hit just like every other investment, so they NEED the funds.

We had someone from the Shrine Hospitals come out last year to Franklin Lodge and put on a short program about what they do - there wasn't a dry eye in the entire Lodge room.

1 person likes this.
  8. Lynne

Lynne

There's also Angel Flight.

http://www.angelflightne.org/

All the pilots donate their time to fly the patients and pay for their own plane's fuel, etc.

1 person likes this.
  9. MrsWildweasel

MrsWildweasel Moderator NES Member

Homes for Troops.[grin]

10. doobie

doobie Banned

Thanks! Just setup reoccurring donations to both the Shriner's Hospital and Angel Flight.

3 people like this.
  11. FiremanBob

FiremanBob NES Member

There are many excellent organizations that serve veterans and the families of our military members. That's where I'd go. You can be darn sure your tax dollars aren't helping them.

1 person likes this.
  12. Metalhead

Metalhead NES Member

I would humbly suggest that you find a local boy scout troop or cub scout pack that might need some help. That way you are having a direct impact on a program that is probably fairly in line with many what seems to be your own values. I suggest that you go directly with to the individual pack/troop rather than a national/local council because I find them a bit to red tapey for me.

Just my two cents. [grin]

1 person likes this.
  13. Rockrivr1

Rockrivr1 NES Member

HELLO!!!!!!!! Awesome Charitable Cause Below!!!

|
    |
    |
    V

Wait, you may have already given. Hummmmm, I know! Give more!!! [smile]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  14. BCEagleAce

BCEagleAce

We have cut back on our charitable donations. We donate to our colleges, and the American Diabetes Foundation because it runs in our family. At Christmas time though, my wife and I have a couple of nice charity traditions that we enjoy.

First, we "adopt" a DSS child through a local service and we buy a few kids things on their list to Santa. The lists run from adorable, to very sad (like "i need a warm blanket"). We had two girls last year and got them both ipods, itunes gift cards, new jackets, red sox sweatshirts (a specific kind they wanted), and some type of girly shampoo and bathroom stuff.

Second, I go to Bob's or a similar type clothing store(s) every year and I buy about a dozen sets of jackets, clothes, boots, sneakers, etc. and I drop them off anonymously at a homless veterans shelter.

15. doobie

doobie Banned

I'm sorry to hear you had to cut back. Thankfully so far I haven't had to cut back; I'm hoping I won't have to, but I'm sure at some point I will, though because of times I'm hoping I can do more, but I'm going to be more careful about ensuring I'm not going to be giving money to help people who already get helped when I'm forced to give money at the barrel of a gun.

Perhaps it is listening to Atlas Shrugged a second time....or being in the middle of Galt's speech when reading a bumper sticker this morning saying, "Work Harder: Millions on Welfare are depending on you!" I donated a lot to 'welfare' type places last year like Salvation Army....and what not, but that help the general set of people on Welfare already, which I'm already giving them money at the point of a gun.

I thank everyone for the suggestions and will have to find the local VFWs and Veteran associations to donate to them.

16. doobie

doobie Banned

Thanks! But not in violation of the 3rd Amendment. [wink]

I'll google and find more info on them.

17. BCEagleAce

BCEagleAce

I have cut back mostly on the college donations, which I don't consider real "charity" anyway. Both the schools I went to have plenty of money, so they won't miss a little from me!

Your Atlas Shrugged reference makes me smile. I was talking the other day with someone about how far off they think we are from an Atlas Shrugged world...

18. doobie

doobie Banned

If I had the resources.... I'd be living that life. Unfortunately for now I have to sacrifice my beliefs. I think we'll be closest to the engines of the world stopping around this fall.

19. hillman

hillman NES Member

Your local animal shelter would be something worthwhile as well. I know some people here have problems with various "Humane Societies" but whatever your politics, the dogs and cats and whatnot at the shelter are far more innocent of how they got in to their current situation than anyone else out there, and your money goes a lot further than with most charities.

One of my former employers forced all of the employees to "donate" to the United Way, and I will never donate to big charities like that again. But I do donate to charities that accept tangible items such as winter coats for children, and toys for tots.

20. guinness126

guinness126

I thank any and all of you who have and/or those who do donate to Shriner's Hospital for Crippled Children, as I was a patient there for 21 years.

I will say that March of Dimes also helped us out when our daughter was born. She was thought to have such severe medical issues less than 12 hours after being born that she was airlifted to a more modern, more advanced medical facility in the state of CT. Thankfully all worked out well, and she was home with us within 3 days.

21. Kid Presentable

Kid Presentable

I've only ever donated to the jimmy fund...every year since I can remember

22. doobie

doobie Banned

How does an employer force you to donate? I'd think that is illegal....

23. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

Don't know the legality, but big companies really pour the pressure on to "donate or else" for every employee in the company.

When I realized what UW was all about, I refused to participate . . . although it was always "mandatory" to attend their hi-pressure sales pitch on company time. Then everyone was REQUIRED to fill out the forms for payroll deduction every year! I just circle-filed them and one year my manager comes into my office and tells me that I'm the only one in our org that Personnel reported had not turned in his/her card. I told him that I didn't HAVE TO fill it in and wouldn't and he said "you have to or else!" I said "Or else, what?" and he just sputtered that it was "required" and walked away disgusted with me. Corporate goal was 100% participation and manager got prizes for meeting the goals and apparently got called on the carpet for failing the goal.

24. bolt

bolt

Lenny's right...........I worked a summer union job in 72 IIRC and said NO to a union 1 dollar a week for the ////who knows I forget/// charity and was always given the crap orders to fill---they can bite me with all their ''CEOs" and officers* making 500k.

25. pernox

pernox

Jimmy Fund is A-O-K in my book. Every time the Sox have that Jordan Leandre kid out to throw the first pitch, I seem to get a bit of dust in the eye. Got a little dusty in both eyes the time he was healthy enough to run the bases.

26. Palladin

Palladin NES Member

My son's Boy Scout Troop
    My Daughter's Girl Scout troop
    Families of Spinal Muscular Atrophy
    Any Veteran's organization
    Shriner's

And I have heard the stories about large corporations 'encouraging' you to give to the UW. A friend told me his meager donation cost him a promotion. (at a large missile defense contractor)

27. Tim L

Tim L NES Member

LenS I was in the same boat as you for 20 years and did the same thing.I was also told I had to fill out the paperwork regardless.I threw it away on principal.I consider myself a generous guy but when you tell me I WILL donate,you just guarateed I won't.

28. scottmac019

scottmac019

Did any of you guys even check out the link I put up for the organization ( The SHARE Foundation) I work for??? I see mention of all these other causes but not one person even mentioned ours....I am sure someone on this forum knows somebody with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) MS, Cerebral Palsy , Spinal Cord injury or countless other disabilities we help. You have no idea what someone that has ALS goes through. We at least make it so they can communicate with their families. All I ask is that people at least check out the website and see what we do http://www.thesharefoundation.com I am not saying that all these other causes aren't great, but I know firsthand what we do and who we help...so for me this is definately personal...We used to get some funding from the state but that has now been cut, so we exist mainly from donations. Without these donations and the proceeds we make from our 2 main fundraisers per year we may not be around to help our over 400 clients all throughout MA and RI.

So please just check us out...we may also be able to help someone out there that needs us but doesn't know what we do....and lastly we are THE ONLY Organization that asks for nothing in return from our clients...we get NO money for our equipment from them at all!! And we give Thousands of Dollars worth of Tech support to our clients..something you won't get anywhere else.....

29. dwarven1

dwarven1 Appleseed Instructor Dealer NES Member

Sure, you remind me of Scrooge, Jason... that is, Scrooge AFTER he got visited by the three Spirits. [wink]

Sorry, Bro... that's the only Scrooge I think you resemble after the latter post.

30. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

Email sent to you.