Call for ban on 'bump stocks'

I got this email from Setti Warren, who's trying to run for governor on the "I'm more liberal than you can possibly conceive of" platform

Massachusetts has some of the strictest gun laws in the country, and that makes us a tempting target for the deadly political influence of the NRA.

For more than a year, the Massachusetts NRA has organized a steady stream of attacks on Attorney General Maura Healey for her work to enforce the assault weapons ban. The NRA has encouraged harassment of Maura and her staff. Last year, they organized a rally in which she was depicted as Adolf Hitler. They've even filed a law suit to try to stop her from doing her job.

The NRA is at work in Massachusetts and we can't back down from this fight.

A few months ago, Gov. Charlie Baker appointed the head of the Massachusetts NRA to a plum state government job. Charlie Baker made this appointment for one reason: to appease his right wing base.

The fight against the NRA isn't just something that is happening in far away states. It's a battle we need to fight right here at home as well. We're going to take the fight to Baker and his NRA allies, but I need your help to match their seemingly endless resources.

Please, donate to my campaign so we can begin hiring organizers, recruiting volunteers, and building the largest grassroots campaign in Massachusetts history. With your help, we will take on the NRA here in Massachusetts and across the country.

Ah, yeah, the "right wing base" in Boston. That's what, a couple guys at an American Legion post playing a game of dominos?

Sarcasm or not, most gun control laws don't actually prevent any action they just add a consequence and the impression of action. If bump fires are the sacrificial lamb that get us past this shit show I can live with that. I well understand the slippery slope of regulation but I have a real hard time defending this one. Sometimes you have to give up a piece so you don't lose the whole board. These things on the best day are just an amusement and this sure isn't the best day.

We've given up way too many pieces already. They are never satisfied with what they get and always want more. Here is a good illustration of what compromise gets you with the antis. https://imgur.com/K9Mc6Jq

NRA just said that bump stocks should require additional regulation.

Give them the additional regulation - maybe a tax stamp.

In return we get National Reciprocity.

AP "BREAKING: NRA calls on federal government to review whether bump stocks comply with law, should be subject to further regulation."

NRA just said that bump stocks should require additional regulation.

Give them the additional regulation - maybe a tax stamp.

In return we get National Reciprocity.

NRA goes full retard.......

NRA is the reason the MG registry was closed in '86

Here's the NRA statement
DLZQ332VAAAkTvq.jpg:large

Once again the Mental cases on Beacon hill get all emotional " We must do something " I know its like the Wild Wild west out here isn't it. Bottom line these so called legislators are all COWARDS!.

I hope that the poison pill doesn't wind up going the other way - that there's SO much momentum on banning bump stocks that the magazine ban just slides through because no one is willing to try and pick it apart. I'm starting to get concerned for realz.

I hope that the poison pill doesn't wind up going the other way - that there's SO much momentum on banning bump stocks that the magazine ban just slides through because no one is willing to try and pick it apart. I'm starting to get concerned for realz.

Linsky, Maura, and all the rest are dancing with glee over those dead people because it gives them the perfect opportunity. If this was about bump-fire stocks, why does the bill not stop there?

Banning (previously) approved pre bans will be the shit show of shit shows.

Last edited:
Here's the NRA statement
DLZQ332VAAAkTvq.jpg:large

Translation "Don't give us the Hot Potato"

They hit a few redirection vectors:

Obama Administration

Its up to the ATF to determine (which they have looked at twice)

Devices that make guns full auto should be subject to regulation.

Their options were either defend why bump stocks are great, silence, openly tell feelings police to go pound sand, or redirect. Its pretty clear they picked redirect, which may tarnish their brand in the eyes of members but reduces their profile as enemy from the left. Its also possible that a number of pols called up the NRA and asked for the favor of some maneuvering room on the issue.

Not defending/justifying their stance just giving my read on their intent.

Banning (previously) approved pre bans will be the shit show of shows.

Yup, again these people are all cowards. Like the AR ban, its double speak. What I mean is, sure she banned AR's on paper yet not sending out the troops to grab...Why? Cause they know DAM WELL no one will volunteer for the job. IE: New York and Connecticut.

Just more Feel good lines of Ink on a sliver of paper...

Translation "Don't give us the Hot Potato"

They hit a few redirection vectors:

Obama Administration

Its up to the ATF to determine (which they have looked at twice)

Devices that make guns full auto should be subject to regulation.

Their options were either defend why bump stocks are great, silence, openly tell feelings police to go pound sand, or redirect. Its pretty clear they picked redirect, which may tarnish their brand in the eyes of members but reduces their profile as enemy from the left. Its also possible that a number of pols called up the NRA and asked for the favor of some maneuvering room on the issue.

Not defending/justifying their stance just giving my read on their intent.
I'm trying to figure out why the **** I give the NRA thousands of dollars when they seem to be bound and determined to let the politicians turn this country into England #2. They are masters of compromise and they will support the ATF banning these stocks in a knee-jerk reaction. Jesus.

NRA calls for ATF review of bump stocks, new regulations after Las Vegas shooting

The National Rifle Association, in its first statement on the Las Vegas shooting and in a rare break from its traditional opposition to gun-related regulations, called Thursday for a federal review of so-called bump stocks and suggested new rules might be needed for the device apparently used by the shooter in Sunday’s massacre.

“The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations,” the NRA said in a written statement.

Bump stocks can be used to effectively convert semi-automatic rifles to fire so rapidly as to simulate an automatic weapon. The devices were found on guns used by Las Vegas shooter Stephen Paddock, who killed 59 and injured hundreds Sunday night.

The Obama administration’s ATF gave its seal of approval to selling the devices in 2010 after concluding that they did not violate federal law. On Thursday, the NRA called on the ATF to review that assessment.

“In Las Vegas, reports indicate that certain devices were used to modify the firearms involved,” the NRA said. “Despite the fact that the Obama administration approved the sale of bump fire stocks on at least two occasions, the National Rifle Association is calling on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) to immediately review whether these devices comply with federal law.”

Continues...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...new-regulations-after-las-vegas-shooting.html

I was an NRA member. Until today, that is.

Mea Culpa people. So many of you warned me about the NRA. I didn't listen. I'm sorry.

Having a bon fire this weekend. I'll be burinng every piece of NRA paraphenalia I can find.

Very tactical statement.

Seems like they want this to come from the ATF rather than going through congress. Probably the less shitty of two shitty options, if outright rejection is off the table.

Very tactical statement.

Seems like they want this to come from the ATF rather than going through congress. Probably the less shitty of two shitty options, if outright rejection is off the table.

Tactical and aimed at buying time.

Their contention is that the correct path is for the ATF to review the devices. (and it was a given the ATF was going to review it, so its the NRA pushing for current actions) By the time that is done some of the heat of the issue will be dissipated on the anti side.

It was a calculation and the cost of that is many in this forum/community WILL NOT FORGET. A reasonably founded perception that they have been betrayed by the NRA will stick with people and won't be as soon forgotten.

Maybe they offer this in order to help draft a bill that repeals the Hughes amendment (still subject to all the NFA process insanity) and loosens up rules on suppressors and common sense reciprocity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe they offer this in order to help draft a bill that repeals the Hughes amendment (still subject to all the NFA process insanity) and loosens up rules on suppressors and common sense reciprocity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would laugh my ass off if the antis got tricked into throwing their weight behind an effort to reconfigure the NFA stuff in a R (nominally) controlled environment. Unlikely but still a delightful image.

Back
Top Bottom