• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

California -- new gun laws

The guys out west are screwed.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20160701/california-governor-brown-signs-anti-gun-bills

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-...x-gun-control-bills-1467394282-htmlstory.html

— Ban the sale of semiautomatic rifles equipped with bullet buttons allowing the ammunition magazines to be easily detached and replaced.

— Require an ID and background check to purchase ammunition and create a new state database of ammunition owners.

— Ban possession of ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 bullets.

— Restrict the loaning of guns without background checks to close family members.

This and NY's Safe Act illustrate that we really do not have federally protected meaningful gun rights.

It's all terrible, but the ammo law and the mag capacity law are particularly bad. CA gun owners will be forbidden from buying ammo out of state, or buying ammo in state without a background check and having their purchases recorded. Mags that hold more than 10 rounds will be illegal to possess -- no "pre-bans", and no new mags can even be owned in the state. CA gun owners will have to destroy their mags or move/sell them out of state.

Maybe this will be enough to get the gun owners to leave. Not that long ago, CA was a choice (a choice I didn't like, but one I would have considered if my career led there). Now, it might as well be south Canada.

Other than some edge cases like NYC, this is the first time a major jurisdiction has passed a "get rid of your current possessions without compensation" law. Naturally, the courts will fairly consider the constitutional issues presented by this and probably even compliment the state on the strength of its case before ruling against the people.

Maybe this will be enough to get the gun owners to leave.
You mean like leave MA? Where some of us are "anchored" to marriage, family roots, jobs, businesses, life and everything we've known and love for (50 plus) years, etc etc?... Sometimes it just ain't easy OR possible to simply pick up/pack up and.. Go.

Ask me how I know..... [emoji22]

You mean like leave MA? Where some of us are "anchored" to marriage, family roots, jobs, businesses, life and everything we've known and love for (50 plus) years, etc etc?... Sometimes it just ain't easy OR possible to simply pick up/pack up and.. Go.

Ask me how I know..... [emoji22]

Eh. I'm thousands of miles away from my family roots. I made the decision to leave before it got too painful to do so.

Maybe this will be enough to get the gun owners to leave. Not that long ago, CA was a choice (a choice I didn't like, but one I would have considered if my career led there). Now, it might as well be south Canada.

Serious gun owners left CA a long ass time ago, probably around the time Roberti Roos passed. Those who haven't, have been thinking about leaving strongly since that shit passed.

-Mike

Where are you going to go? You think there's no chance these are going to becone federal laws?

What are the chances that Hiliary wins NH (like Obama did twice)?

Even if hitlery is president none of that kind of shit is passing the house or the senate anytime in the near future.

CA is a level of insanity that is unparalleled anywhere else. Anti moonbats control everything politically and its tough to shoot bills down there because of the gerrymandering.

-Mike

There is a moral obligation to disregard unjust laws.

In CA a lot of people will do this but it will consist of hiding shit in their basement or maybe shooting it out in the middle of nowhere. Unlike MA and some of the other commie states, there are enough shitty LEOs that actually enforce CA gun law that make this a more difficult than normal proposition. Back after roberti roos the state used to put people at NV gun shows calling in CA plates, etc... and they were busting guys with ARs and normal mags re-entering the state, lots of goofy shit like that. It got to the point where if you go to an NV gun show and you tell them you're from CA, they look at you like you have ebola sores on your face and they won't sell you much, if anything.

-Mike

Even if hitlery is president none of that kind of shit is passing the house or the senate anytime in the near future.

CA is a level of insanity that is unparalleled anywhere else. Anti moonbats control everything politically and its tough to shoot bills down there because of the gerrymandering.

-Mike

I agree, but it's closer than people think.

There is a moral obligation to disregard unjust laws.

Plenty of people sitting in jail, whose lives have been ruined, for smoking a plant. BS laws do tremendous damage to society by creating criminals.

I agree, but it's closer than people think.

Not really. Look at what Obama was unable to do and he had a truckload of warm toddler corpses from a psychopath, in a moonbat state. (which is pretty much a memetic wet dream for antis) On a national level, gun control is a political land mine very similar to the thing we can't talk about here. Even early on in his tenure he had dem domination and AWB renewal efforts failed like 3 different times. They might pass stupid shit like this no fly BS (eg, from the dept of things that shitty typical conservatives will gleefully suck for because they're ****ing idiots) but it's not going to get much further than that.

-Mike

In CA a lot of people will do this but it will consist of hiding shit in their basement or maybe shooting it out in the middle of nowhere. Unlike MA and some of the other commie states, there are enough shitty LEOs that actually enforce CA gun law that make this a more difficult than normal proposition. Back after roberti roos the state used to put people at NV gun shows calling in CA plates, etc... and they were busting guys with ARs and normal mags re-entering the state, lots of goofy shit like that. It got to the point where if you go to an NV gun show and you tell them you're from CA, they look at you like you have ebola sores on your face and they won't sell you much, if anything.

-Mike

Hopefully the stores in Southern Oregon do the same, so the Californians don't come into America even MORE to clean out the cheap ammo in our local stores to bring back to their shitty country.

Unlike MA and some of the other commie states, there are enough shitty LEOs that actually enforce CA gun law
CA is aggressive about making arrests and prosecuting mag/AW ban vivolations.

As onerous as the MA law is on paper, the general procedure seems to be "LTC, no problem".

Then there was the case of the hapless induhvidual convicted for possession of an AW (SKS). When a pro-gun attorney found out and realized the gun was not an AW, he appealed. Although the subject was out of prison (he did do some time), the appeal was denied due to a missed filing deadline.

Not really. Look at what Obama was unable to do and he had a truckload of warm toddler corpses from a psychopath, in a moonbat state. (which is pretty much a memetic wet dream for antis) On a national level, gun control is a political land mine very similar to the thing we can't talk about here. Even early on in his tenure he had dem domination and AWB renewal efforts failed like 3 different times. They might pass stupid shit like this no fly BS (eg, from the dept of things that shitty typical conservatives will gleefully suck for because they're ****ing idiots) but it's not going to get much further than that.

-Mike

IIRC there were more than a few dem hold outs the last AWB vote.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

Legal workarounds are in the works: http://youtu.be/XedaFH6pC1o

Good fix, but it's still brutally retarded.
I like how it took them how long to bypass the law?
Also now law-abiding people have to deal with this BS, but any terrorist will simple remove the redesigned BB and will not have been hindered in the least.
I sure hope the next terrorist attack uses an AR with the BB in place and demonstrates this law has slowed a mag change by maybe 3 seconds demonstrating how full retard these laws are.

Edit.. i guess the best part of the BB reloaded is CA citizens who don't yet own an ar will still be able to buy an AR.. then be able to decide for themself if they want to leave thier firearms compliant or at some future time remove the BB.

Im sure theyll tie the inventer up in court and prevent sales while they write another law to close the "loophole" they fail to close by being so stupid in the first place. But hey no ones trying to take your guns right? Just your magizines and ammo

Last edited:

+1 lot of jobs for my wife and I in Cali, and we don't even consider moving there.

excuse my ignorance, but if you have a gun with a 10 round removable mag...how do you remove it to put bullets into it if there is no "button" to drop the mag?

On a separate note, one thing I've heard about is that some states do is forego the NICS check. They basically use your LTC as proof that you're not a PP and you just fill out the 4473, pay for your gun, and walk out. The 4473 stays with the FFL but they don't call it in. Pretty sweet deal.

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/permanent-brady-permit-chart

excuse my ignorance, but if you have a gun with a 10 round removable mag...how do you remove it to put bullets into it if there is no "button" to drop the mag?

Post #9 has a video. The mag release button has an arm that bumps the upper receiver so the button can't be pressed. The workaround is a quick release takedown pin that lets the user pivot the rifle open for a second. When the upper receiver lifts up, the mag release button can be depressed to drop the mag. I was still confused until I read the bill and saw a requirement for compliance is a "magazine that cannot be released without disassembling the rifle". I guess pulling the takedown pin is considered dis-assembly.

Back
Top Bottom