• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

California man killed a trophy deer on his rural property. Now he’s facing a huge penalty.

Excesses will never be curbed with that scenario as time has proven so again and again.
I concur.

I agree a land owner should be able to hunt without paying for the license....but wild animals are public trust. The law is there to keep land owners from fencing in wild animals too.

There was a case about 5 years ago with a woman that was literally trapping deer on her property with a high fence enclosure so they couldn't roam free.....to save them from the hunters. After hunting season ended she'd let them out. She paid some hefty fines......wild animals can't be contained on private property.

High fence hunting out west is different ......the animals they fence in for paying customers are bread or purchased.....by the land owner.

A 70-year-old Sacramento County man will pay a $20,000 fine after pleading no contest this week to shooting a trophy buck out of season on property he owns in rural El Dorado County.

The hefty fine is one of the first under a law passed in 2017 that allowed judges to slap poachers with bigger penalties if they’re convicted of illegally killing deer, elk, pronghorn, bighorn sheep and wild turkey with certain characteristics such as big antlers that classify them as trophy animals.

Why can't our immigration laws be enforced with this kind of zeal?

I dont think it should be up to the govt to decide when and how you can feed yourself.

As far as the "animals belong to everyone" argument: sounds a little pink around the edges to me.

Every dear harvested it a trophy, look how many hunting licences are purchased and how many deer are actually killed.

If you have the proper tags any deer you are lucky enough to get should be considered a trophy.

Glad they threw the book at him, and seized his gun, hopefully hunting privileges in all states are revoked

I dont think it should be up to the govt to decide when and how you can feed yourself.

As far as the "animals belong to everyone" argument: sounds a little pink around the edges to me.
Do some research in the pitman Robertson act and why it was passed .......and why it was overwhelmingly supported by hunters.

if he needed food that bad, could of sold a gun or a chunk of his land.....

"Pink"? No.

I don't mean "animals belong to everyone" in the Peta.....soccer mom....save the animals snowflake way. I mean they belong to everyone to USE. If you let landowners take what they want you end up with less for everyone else on public land. Wild game doesn't just stay on piece of property for one land owner to use.

Anyway....."pink"?

I dont think so.

20190507_092555.jpg
Screenshot_20190802-104535_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20190802-104447_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20190831-065141_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20191104-080808_Photos.jpg

If you hunt what you need for your own personal use it should not be illegal to hunt your own land in any season.
problem is all the a**h***s who don't hunt for what they need.

If you were allowed to hunt anything on your property, any time, with no bag limits there would be no deer herd in new england within a few years.

The northeast used to have elk. bigger elk than out west. They're gone now because stupid a**h***s thought there was an infinite supply. Every dumb, irresponsible redneck in the area would be out every weekend trying to get a deer and your kids will grow up listening to your stories about what deer hunting "was".

Im having trouble getting upset by this... The only thing that doesn't make sense is taking his gun that he shot the deer with.

Also, your positions on abortion are irrelevant to this thread.

The state of Maine Warden service will take your rifle, clothing, truck, freezer, four wheeler and trailer, knife, rope, and vacuum sealer. Everything used in the poaching and packaging of that deer.

RC

I have to agree with whacko on this. If you let people take whatever they want off there own land. You would be back to where you were in in the early 1900s. Just about every native species was on the brink of Extinction.
The passage of the pitman Robertson act......provided funds to pay for wildlife management plans.....and enforcement of the plans fixed the mess that was created by unlimited taking of game in this country in the early 1900s. The act was passed with overwhelming support by hunters and sportsmen......hunters decided regulation of hunting was a necessary program in order to ensure game would be available for all.

Another fact......For those that do not know......every time you buy ammo......guns ...or shooting sports related equipment a tax is paid at the wholesale level to fund these programs. Doesn't matter if the ammo or guns are being used for hunting or not. That's the meat and potatoes of the pitman Robertson act.

I can already sense the posts coming saying "his private property he can shoot what he wants".

For those of you in that camp.....this is how it works......you can own the land......but you don't own the animals and birds that walk on it or fly over it......the wildlife belongs to the public trust.

NH for example......the state extends your right to hunt om your property without purchasing a license......but you still need to obey season and bag limits because the game animals belong to to everyone and the management plans therefore apply to everyone.

It's a concept I agree with.

Like the seals on the cape?

Back
Top Bottom