• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

California man killed a trophy deer on his rural property. Now he’s facing a huge penalty.

Reptile

NES Member
A 70-year-old Sacramento County man will pay a $20,000 fine after pleading no contest this week to shooting a trophy buck out of season on property he owns in rural El Dorado County.

The hefty fine is one of the first under a law passed in 2017 that allowed judges to slap poachers with bigger penalties if they’re convicted of illegally killing deer, elk, pronghorn, bighorn sheep and wild turkey with certain characteristics such as big antlers that classify them as trophy animals.

Iffy on this. If everyone just shot deer on their property out of season, the herd would be decimated. Can't imagine the deer population in NH/ME/MA doing well if everyone could just bag a deer any time of year. I have no idea what the NorCal deer herd is like though. Most hunters I know support management efforts.

The way the warden went about nailing this guy seems like BS though. And 20K fine is full retard.

Im having trouble getting upset by this... The only thing that doesn't make sense is taking his gun that he shot the deer with.

Also, your positions on abortion are irrelevant to this thread.
taking Equipment used in illegal hunting is standard procedure in most states.....same as fishing without a license......they take your shit.

I can already sense the posts coming saying "his private property he can shoot what he wants".

For those of you in that camp.....this is how it works......you can own the land......but you don't own the animals and birds that walk on it or fly over it......the wildlife belongs to the public trust.

NH for example......the state extends your right to hunt om your property without purchasing a license......but you still need to obey season and bag limits because the game animals belong to to everyone and the management plans therefore apply to everyone.

It's a concept I agree with.

Is a four-point buck considered a "trophy animal"? I'm being serious, I've never hunted deer and don't know what's expected.

I mean, hell, I've seen a four-point buck in my backyard in the 'burbs. Looked like a nice amount of meat on the hoof, but the antlers didn't seem that impressive.

Is a four-point buck considered a "trophy animal"? I'm being serious, I've never hunted deer and don't know what's expected.

I mean, hell, I've seen a four-point buck in my backyard in the 'burbs. Looked like a nice amount of meat on the hoof, but the antlers didn't seem that impressive.
The picture shows what we on the east call an "Eight Pointer" Last remember the West would call that a 4X4 or "Four Pointer".

Was he doing it for the mount or was he using it for food? If I had to feed my family and I saw a freezer of meat in my backyard I would take the shot but if it was for bragging rights I wouldn't.

let a man do what a man is going to do on his own land.
The animals are not his. Period.

You can own the land....but you don't own the animals and birds that walk on it or fly over it. That's how it works.

In NH you can hunt your property without buying a license ...but you must obey season and bag limits.....becuase the wildlife belongs to the public.....and is managed for all to utilize.

That’s now one expensive piece of venison. He should carefully age it then sell it to Gordon Ramsey to recoup some of that massive fine.

That’s now one expensive piece of venison. He should carefully age it then sell it to Gordon Ramsey to recoup some of that massive fine.
Well......I get your point....but generally with illegally harvested game they confiscate the animal too.

The animals are not his. Period.

You can own the land....but you don't own the animals and birds that walk on it or fly over it. That's how it works.

In NH you can hunt your property without buying a license ...but you must obey season and bag limits.....becuase the wildlife belongs to the public.....and is managed for all to utilize.
you should be able to hunt your own land without government permission.

Was he doing it for the mount or was he using it for food? If I had to feed my family and I saw a freezer of meat in my backyard I would take the shot but if it was for bragging rights I wouldn't.
Unfortunately poachers come in both varieties. Ones that poach for trophies and ones that poach for the food. Both, however are illegal as seasons, bag limits, implement rules, and baiting rules are in place to manage the game populations so all hunters have the opportunity to harvest fairly.

I have read articles and seen shows where a game warden will issue the fine......but confiscate the deer.....and then technically donate it back to the guy if he truly is in need of the food.

Back
Top Bottom